Need Good Man Chow Suggestions for My Situation

Options
Hey, all!

I know that this is a rather boring topic, but I was wanting to put the call out there for some good dinner recipes for my particular situation. Let me explain...
I am pretty active man, getting 2 to 3 aerobic workouts a day, burning between 1600-2600 calories just about every day. I am also lifting a few days a week as well. I eat clean for most of the day, but at the conclusion of my late afternoon workout, I am as hungry as a hostage! Self control becomes challenged!
This presents a problem, as by this time, I go all carb-crazy and voraciously devour whatever I can muck down! I exaggerate, but my good dietary choices tend to fly right out the ****in' window when I get that wild ,glazed look in my eyes and start craving a pizza! Luckily, my activity level keeps me losing (albeit pretty slowly) and/or maintaining my loss, but I feel that I can do better...
What I am asking for are some good recipe suggestions, possibly stuff I can prepare ahead, that will serve as a satisfying alternative. They do not have to be super low cal, either, like I said, I have room "under the cap" every day.
Thanks in advance! Good luck all!

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big beastly man, but when I don't get to eat during work because I'm so busy, I know the feeling that you're talking about. One thing I have to do almost every day is tell myself it's just hunger that makes me crave pizza, fast food and junk. As soon as I get home, cook and eat, I'm glad I didn't swing through that Mcdonalds.

You can always precook. Chicken wings, home versions of pizza, taco meat, fajita stuff or whatever it is you like so that way all you have to do is go home and pop it in the microwave or oven. I go for sandwiches. They take 10 seconds to make and I feel a lot more focused on what I really need to eat instead of what I want to eat.

Also, maybe keep some protein bars in your car for post work out to stave off those munchies.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This might be good, it's pizza but the crust is made with cauliflower. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would be curious as to your macro-nutritional levels - with that level of intensity, protein is your friend.

I'm a fan of fish and seafood as a great way to beat back hunger - wild-caught haddock and pollock are easily available in most freezer cases and are high protein with low calories. Shrimp are fantastic for the same reason. The other night I had something like 10 ounces of shrimp for dinner to round out my calorie goal (shrimp fried rice, in a non-stick skillet, with plenty of vegetables). Farm fish are also good (tilapia), but will be higher in calories than wild-caught fish.

Prep time is minimal, especially if you chop peppers and onions ahead of time, or while the rice or noodles are getting a head start.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The issue here is getting enough protein and fiber without breaking the bank. To do so, you may want to pre-cook and buy in bulk when it comes to your protein. A hearty chili with three kinds of beans, either chicken or beef, onions, and any other vegetable you want to lob in there - make it on the weekend and eat it throughout the week. Chicken breast, tuna salad, beef fajitas (as mentioned), soups, etc etc.

Boiled eggs for proteiny snacks on the go...

Beef jerky.

Whole milk with protein powder. (I use the cheap walmart Six Star triple chocolate, but Optimum Nutrition is the most suggested, taste-wise)

You may want to scope the diaries of some of the bodybuilding types on here for more ideas on keeping your protein high whilst getting enough calories.

Good luck!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1600-2600??? Is that remotely accurate?

If so, the answer is obvious. Eat a medium pepperoni pizza every day.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you have a good quality protein source available and ready to eat for after your workouts. (Cook some turkey breast, or chicken breast or other lean meat on the weekend and keep it in the refrigerator so that it is convenient and available when you need it.)

When you consume carbohydrates by themselves, your blood sugar will spike. Your pancreas then releases insulin resulting in your blood sugar dropping and your body signaling you to eat again.

If you eat protein with the carbohydrate the insulin response is moderated by the protein and you will be less likely to overeat later.

Hope this helps.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Can i recommend slow cooking stuff? If you have a slow cooker, it can be cooking while you work out! Great for stews and casserols, which means you can add whatever fits your diet in it...proper meat, or sausages, vegetables, grains...you name it!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Delmonico steak cooked on the grill or under the broiler with a little olive oil and sea salt. Brown rice & steamed broccoli. About 800-1,000 cals depending how many ounces of meat.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Can i recommend slow cooking stuff? If you have a slow cooker, it can be cooking while you work out! Great for stews and casserols, which means you can add whatever fits your diet in it...proper meat, or sausages, vegetables, grains...you name it!

This is a great suggestion. All you have to do is serve it when you get home.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Yes, I haven't been quaffing too many Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters, my burns are pretty accurate. Tons of aerobic activity.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    George Foreman! Trim up chicken on the weekends, so when you get home you just throw some on and it is ready to eat in under 15 minutes. You could also do casseroles on the weekend or the night before and just heat up some when you get home.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Trying eating larger meals in the morning and pack in more carbs there. Make sure you are taking in enough protein ALL day long. And there's always the possibility that you are over-training and losing some muscle and not just fat. Drink lots of water and make sure you are eating healthy fats!
  • gettheledout3372
    gettheledout3372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of marathon training, and although I only burn about half as many calories as you (except once a week for my long run), I'm in the habit of cooking a giant batch of a sort of dirty rice/rice and beans monstrosity and eating it for dinner throughout the week. I go with 3-4 chicken breasts, 2 cups dry rice, a big can of diced tomatoes, two cans of beans, and sometimes some corn or bell peppers depending on what I can get my hands on. You can tweak amounts and ratios to get the macronutrient balance you want (and for your needs, you could probably double everything if you have big enough pots and pans), but with some spices and hot sauce, it makes a d*mn good post-run meal. It eats big - as a guy who can polish off most of a pizza by myself, I have to eat an 800-900 calorie serving in two sittings.

Slow cookers are also awesome.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Yes, I haven't been quaffing too many Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters, my burns are pretty accurate. Tons of aerobic activity.

On a more practical note, why don't you scale up the weight training and scale way down the aerobics? The weight training will promote lean mass retention and possibly even growth. And that volume of aerobics is obviously counterproductive. You're well past the point of diminishing returns.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Marinated Fresh Mozzarella

8-10 ounces of Fresh Mozzarella ( I like pearls, but you can cut up a large ball)
    2-4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (I go heavier)
    3-5 cloves or garlic, slightly crushed
    1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (if you like heat)
    2-3 tablespoons chopped basil
    1/4 cup pine nuts

Mix everything up and let it sit in your fridge for day - it's about 8 servings at 200 calories per if you use less oil. This and hummus are my go to snacks that I find super filling and wondrous.
  • valjean90
    valjean90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    protein sates quickly. Perhaps front load your carbs at lunch, before you workout and then bulk up on protein for dinner (meat, eggs, dairy, beans).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hey, all!

I know that this is a rather boring topic, but I was wanting to put the call out there for some good dinner recipes for my particular situation. Let me explain...
    I am pretty active man, getting 2 to 3 aerobic workouts a day, burning between 1600-2600 calories just about every day. I am also lifting a few days a week as well. I eat clean for most of the day, but at the conclusion of my late afternoon workout, I am as hungry as a hostage! Self control becomes challenged!
    This presents a problem, as by this time, I go all carb-crazy and voraciously devour whatever I can muck down! I exaggerate, but my good dietary choices tend to fly right out the ****in' window when I get that wild ,glazed look in my eyes and start craving a pizza! Luckily, my activity level keeps me losing (albeit pretty slowly) and/or maintaining my loss, but I feel that I can do better...
    What I am asking for are some good recipe suggestions, possibly stuff I can prepare ahead, that will serve as a satisfying alternative. They do not have to be super low cal, either, like I said, I have room "under the cap" every day.
    Thanks in advance! Good luck all!

Try eating some lean protein before you become ravinous. Grilled chicken breast, salmon, pork tenderloin, flank steak are all good choices and can be eaten at room temp. When your done working out grab some protein, an ounce of nuts and an apple and eat them before you expose yourself to the drive home via pizza shop.

Good luck.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options

On a more practical note, why don't you scale up the weight training and scale way down the aerobics? The weight training will promote lean mass retention and possibly even growth. And that volume of aerobics is obviously counterproductive. You're well past the point of diminishing returns.

I put up the big caloric numbers largely because I do a lot of high-intensity, rather long distance cycling... And because I KNOW that I am going to eat!
  • Red Curry - :)

What you will need: (This feeds 4)
    2/3 Boneless Chicken Breasts, Lean Beef, Lean Pork, or Shrimp (de veined and what not)
    1 can full fat Coconut Milk (do not get the less fat version)
    1 can bamboo shoots
    1 Red Pepper
    2 Stalks green onions
    and any other veggies you want in it... sometimes I use broccoli, green beans....
    Thai Red Curry Paste (About a teaspoon)
    Asian Chili Sauce/Hot Sauce (to taste, be careful it's HOT)

What you do...
    Get a deep skillet, scoop the fatty part of the coconut milk off the top of the can, (the non fatty is clearish) and put it in the skillet, then add HALF a teaspoon of the curry paste, and about a tablespoon of the chili sauce.... stir it up so that the paste/coconut milk/chili sauce are mixed well, while stirring, put the heat to about medium (maybe lower if you've a gas stove) then add the meat and continuously turn until cooked. Once meat is done cooking, add the rest of the coconut milk, another half teaspon of the paste, and another tablespoon of the chili sauce. .. mix well until blended in.... then add veggies and bamboo shoots and cook until the veggies are done.... serve over some rice or noodles, I usually get the bird's eye steam in bag brown rice just to cut time. The whole process takes no more than 15 minutes honestly. It sounds like a lot of steps but it's REALLY easy once you got it down. I recommend you taste as you go though, to make sure the spice is right ENJOY!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love chili. I make mine with beef and venison, then add in beans and veggies (most recently I used tomatoes and peppers from my garden, but you could grind up carrots and whatever you want). So yummy and tons of protein to help keep you full. I'll make it as a Sunday dinner then eat left overs for lunch most of the week.