Runners - what do you eat?

Options
If you're an avid runner (3x a week or more), what do you eat to better yourself as a runner? Post-pre run/race snacks? Your typical meal day to day? What macros do you track and why? What do you eat for recovery? What part of your diet has helped or hurt your running?

Currently training for a half marathon & am new to distance running - looking for all the help I can get!

Replies

• hnsiler
    hnsiler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump..also interested as I am a new runner! Feel free to add me also looking for more mfp runner friends! THanks :happy:
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    I run 4-6 miles on weekday mornings and don't eat anything before because I have to get up at 4:30 to do it. However, I make sure my dinner the night before has a decent amount of carbs. I eat breakfast after, which is coffee and Kashi GoLean high protein cereal with light soy milk. On Saturdays, I run 10-14 miles. About an hour before I run I eat either oatmeal or a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and have some gatorade during the run. I usually eat an apple afterwards and then my regular lunch a couple hours later.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So, on the mornings of my long runs, I would get up and have a banana and a powerbar with some water. If my runs were going to be over an hour, I would take a Gu energy pack (or two if it was real long) and have on every 45 minutes while I was running.
    For recovery, Powerade Zero and some kind of breakfast...scrambled eggs and toast.
    If I'm just doing a 4-5 mile run, I usually have a Powerbar about 30 minutes before I run. But, I eat my normal breakfast on those days. Eggs, bacon, toast. I don't really do a good job tracking macros, though.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm running 3x a week right now. 2 of the runs are at 5:30 am, so I'm not eating anything beforehand. Afterwards I have my egg and english muffin.

On the weekends I do another run, usually mid-morning. I eat my normal breakfast, around 2 hours beforehand (egg, english muffin, slice of cheese, glass of water)

Note that I'm only doing 3 miles at a clip, so it doesn't take long, and I don't need to 'replace' anything during the run.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really pay attention to is that I eat lateish, either dinner after 7pm or a snack after 8 or 9pm if dinner was early, because I don't like to eat before I run in the morning. And I make sure there's carbs/protein involved--not that I'm carb-loading for a 3-mile run, but I just eat dinner with the knowledge that this meal is fueling my following day's run and I should make sure it's not just a salad. If I don't pay attention to what I eat the night before, I'll sometimes not get enough and end up light-headed and woozy.

Then I usually don't want to eat right after, but probably within an hour or two I'll grab a yogurt or granola bar or something. I don't really stick to a standard post-run snack.
  • CamilleClaudel
    CamilleClaudel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been adding running to my hiking workouts and am loving it. It's completely addictive and makes for much faster fitness building, though as far as running goes, I'm a beginner. I'm also interested in being part of a network of runners.
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm average about 20 miles a week in my 3 weekly runs. Now mind you, I HATE mornings, so I tend to do my runnings in the evening, therefore, breakfast is pretty typical, oatmeal or eggs, microwave bacon and fruit. Lunch is usually a salad with chicken and then a light dinner. After a I run, especially a longer one (for me) of 7 or 10 miles, I'll have a banana with 1 tablespoon of reduced fat peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk.

Good luck with your running!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I run very early in the morning, so I typically eat a piece of wheat bread with a little peanut butter before I start out. My stomach is not affected by eating right before I run. For long runs, typically between 8-12 miles, I will eat the toast with peanut butter and a banana, and make sure I am well hydrated. I do take Gu packets along the way, for a run of 12 miles it would be one Gu 15 minutes prior, and then one 45 minutes later. If you are going to run, you have to make complex carbs your friend, eat a lot of them.

I always have a glass of low fat chocolate milk post long run!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Also training for a 1/2. My morning runs (3 - 6 miles) are usually after geting the kids off to school and I will normally eat a english muffin with some peanut butter and green tea about 1 hour before. Afterwards I like some fat free greek yogurt. For my longer weekend run (8 - 10 miles) I will carry water and gatorade as well as a gummy type of energy chew. Now that is is not so hot I may drop the gatorade, going to experiment with that this weekend. Good luck!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly new runner as well. I run in the early mornings, so typically I get up, get dressed, take some sips of water, and head out. When I get back I have a greek yogurt, then breakfast when I get to work. On a race day, I also try not to eat much beforehand, maybe granola bar or something, but that's about it. I hate running with food on my stomach. The night before a race though I tend to treat myself to some kind of pasta.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific running diet, but I have found that bananas (waffle with PB and banana is a favorite breakfast of mine) and gatorade help to keep me from getting leg cramps. If I run in the evening after work, I usually try to eat some type of energy bar about an hour before. I have found that to make a really big difference if distance is on the schedule.
  • jhall585
    Options
    I actually have some seriously annoying stomach issues - pre 5:30 AM weekday run (5-6) miles I drink a bottle of water, and a black coffee. This sits well in my tummy.

Long weekend runs (9-11 miles) I will leisurely eat half an apple while I get ready. Yes, I get ready for runs. This includes strategic hair pinning and peeing 5 times. I find I can easily rip out 10 miles without needing any type of gel or chew, as long as i'm adequately hydrated from the night before and morning of.

Post run, I have almost NO appetite. Roughly an hour after a run I like sparkling water, greek yougurt with a pinch of granola or some cereal. Not a smoothie girl (I wish I could be but they take so long to prepare, i'd also rather eat my food)

I never carbo load and just steer clear of spicy foods the night before an early run.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am also a new runner (8 weeks). I do not eat before I run, and I run in the mornings. I run about 3-6 miles per at a time, but am working up to 10 at once as I train for a 10k race.

After I run, about an hour later, I eat something high protein for muscle recovery. I eat a bit more the night before a run since it is that meal that fuels my run. I have been contemplating buying Cassein protein powder to make protein shakes with fruit after a run...haven't decided yet.

And, I base my caloric intake on my TDEE. I have not lost a single pound since I began running, but I have lost 5.5% body fat in those 8 weeks and begun reshaping my body.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    After a dozen marathons and countless other races, I have my routine down. If Its a short run (6 miles or less) I don't eat anything. Longer runs I will eat an apple or banana about an hour before. I run 4x a week (long run, recovery, hills, and speed/tempo). After, I will make a protein shake (1 scoop protein powder, half a frozen banana, a handful of whatever fruit I have hanging around, usually strawberries or pineapple). I eat 2 whole eggs for breakfast almost every day, with a slice of wheat toast. I don't restrict carbs, but also don't eat pasta every day. I've been incorporating quinoa into more meals.

I make sure I get enough protein (at least 100g a day), to help with muscle repair, since I usually get in some pretty high mileage, and do regular strength/resistance training. I'm a pescatarian, so it mostly comes from greek yogurt, eggs, fish, textured vegetable protein, cottage cheese, etc. Mostly I just try to eat real food, with as little processed, pre-packaged stuff as possible.

Feel free to add/message me with any questions!
  • jhall585
    Options
    After a dozen marathons and countless other races, I have my routine down. If Its a short run (6 miles or less) I don't eat anything. Longer runs I will eat an apple or banana about an hour before. I run 4x a week (long run, recovery, hills, and speed/tempo). After, I will make a protein shake (1 scoop protein powder, half a frozen banana, a handful of whatever fruit I have hanging around, usually strawberries or pineapple). I eat 2 whole eggs for breakfast almost every day, with a slice of wheat toast. I don't restrict carbs, but also don't eat pasta every day. I've been incorporating quinoa into more meals.

I make sure I get enough protein (at least 100g a day), to help with muscle repair, since I usually get in some pretty high mileage, and do regular strength/resistance training. I'm a pescatarian, so it mostly comes from greek yogurt, eggs, fish, textured vegetable protein, cottage cheese, etc. Mostly I just try to eat real food, with as little processed, pre-packaged stuff as possible.

Feel free to add/message me with any questions!

I'm glad i'm not the only one who eats a piece of fruit pre-long run
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary (it's open). I run 30-50 miles per week.
    (had a couple of bad junk food days lately - that is not typical for me).

I don't like to have a deficit of more than 250-500 calories per day even if trying to lose weight, or I can't run well.
    I also need at least 150 g carb/day to run well, but ideally more like 250.