Need help buying a fitbit

Options
I was surprised to see the Fitbit line at my Best Buy (for the same amount being sold on the internet). However, they have the regular Fitbit as well as the Fitbit zip. There's a 40 dollar price difference, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Zip Pro: Small, bluetooth data right to my phone,
Zip Con: Doesn't count steps, doesn't clip onto anything

Fitbut Pro: Counts steps, measures sleep patterns (I work different shifts-my sleep is all over the place...I don't need something to tell me that), clips, small,
Fitbit Con: No bluetooth, small display

Does anyone have a preference? I'm debating whether or not the stair counter is worth 40 dollars more (because the sleep monitor won't be used)

Replies

• Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the "Fitbit One" rather than either the Zip or the Ultra (which I think is what you referred to as just the FitBit).

I have a FitBit Ultra, but the FitBit One is a new product that has some significant upgrades - and costs the same amount as a FitBit Ultra. It does all the stuff the Ultra does (counts steps, estimates calories, measures sleep, counts flights of stairs). It also is supposed to be more water resistant than the Ultra, and it connects to (some) smartphones via Bluetooth. It also has an integrated clip.

The only downside to the One is that it won't be available until late October (25th?), so you'd have to decide if you're willing to wait that long.

Hope that helps.
  • Berger2011
    Options
    Bump, I am interesting in buying one as well so any information is greatly apprciated.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Ultra. Have had it for about 6 months now.
    I only use it to track exercise...not full daily wear.

The floor option is nice...but I wouldn't say it's needed.
    I used the sleep monitor at first...but got tired of wearing it at night.
    The results were interesting though.

I would say the new Zip is probably the best deal.

If you go their website, under products, they have a compare trackers feature.
    It's nice to see the 3 trackers they have and what each has for functions.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitbit.com/zip

According to the website, the zip does count steps and calculates distance. It doesn't track sleep patterns. Also looks to me like it is designed to clip onto pants.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    I was surprised to see the Fitbit line at my Best Buy (for the same amount being sold on the internet). However, they have the regular Fitbit as well as the Fitbit zip. There's a 40 dollar price difference, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Zip Pro: Small, bluetooth data right to my phone,
    Zip Con: Doesn't count steps, doesn't clip onto anything

Fitbut Pro: Counts steps, measures sleep patterns (I work different shifts-my sleep is all over the place...I don't need something to tell me that), clips, small,
    Fitbit Con: No bluetooth, small display

Does anyone have a preference? I'm debating whether or not the stair counter is worth 40 dollars more (because the sleep monitor won't be used)

what you said about the zip cons...it does count steps and does have a clip built onto it...I've had my ultra for about a year now and I don't use the sleep feature on it...I just purchased two zips, one for each of my kids to wear because they've been wanting an ultra for months solely to see the distance they walk every day
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Love my ultra but it's always breaking the from getting wet during workouts.. The new one called one is sweat resistant. I'm recommending that all the way. Not worth getting an ultra if it's a few weeks wait for the one release. Wait for it x
  • lsawilson
    Options
    Hi,
    I have the Fitbit Ultra and have used it everyday since I purchased it in June. I love it! I find the stair tracking is a very usful tool for me since I know climbing is harder than just walking. I really like the integration with MyFitnesspal. I also dont regularly use the sleep function, although it is neat. The thing that makes the zip interesting to me is not having to charge it - it runs on a battery. I wish the Ultra had that capability. Either way, I think you will really like whichever one you buy.
  • sionnain
    Options
    do you care about tracking your sleep? If not, get the zip. if you do, get the one.

the ultra is the same as the one but it doesn't sync to your smartphone. also the zip you need to replace the battery which is a slight inconvenience.
  • jesspi68
    Options
    The Zip doesn't count Stairs or Sleep, it still counts steps or what would be the point? I have the Ultra now but plan to get a Zip once I can sell the Ultra I have (still in it's box) - the biggest thing I liked about the Zip is that I can replace the battery when it needs a new one. I don't have to rely on recharging it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and like it. Since you don't care about the sleep monitor the only thing it doesn't have is the altimeter for stairs. It will still count your steps on the stairs. It has a clip is water resistant and will sync wirelessly to your phone. It's small and I clip it on the inside of my bra. I would skip the ultra. Either get the zip or the new One model.