Good post workout snacks

Options
any suggestions? Something easy and quick, I heard that you need to avoid fat after a workout, is this true? I don't do too vigorous a workout (old workout tapes, brisk walking etc.) But hard enough that I am hungry afterwards. Are almonds OK? What about eggs? The problem is, they both have fat in them (albeit good fats) and like I said, I heard your post workout snack should be pretty much fat free. Ideas? Help???

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes or anything high in protein.
  • elperrogigante
    Options
    bananas.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sour patch kids
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sour patch kids

Fat free, and tastes like fruit! Close enough.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    No expert here but my teenager works out hard for his sport. I don't know where we picked up this little piece of advice but one of us learned that dairy is a good snack after work outs. I keep yogurt, milk and cottage cheese on hand for him. In his case, it's usually a pretty late-night snack.
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Protein shakes or anything high in protein.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    you can always remove the yolk from egg... but if I need a recovery I'll make a quick small smoothie 1/4 banana, some granola, 1/4 cup of whatever frozen fruit, 1tbsp of non fat greek yogurt, and an oz. of milk. It's yummy, light and a great recovery... I'll usually have a meal with eggs or oatmeal or cream of wheat afterwards..
    Cream of wheat by itself and banana is good as well because of cream of wheat having a higher GI.
  • sammyjo0402
    Options
    Oh and reduced sugar chocolate mix with skim milk! There's contradictions but it's worked great for me when I've done a super intense workout.
    Also in answer to your questions... it's best to not have too much fat... but small amounts of good fats are ok. Almonds are yummy and filling but I tend to avoid them myself.. the serving size for a pretty good dose of carbs and fats are too small for my satisfaction lol.
    Mmm... and like I said you can always remove the yolk from eggs making it fat free.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt. I like Oiko's Fruit on the Bottom. Twice as much protein as regular yogurt, and no fat. :) and SUPER delicious!
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sour patch kids

Is this a joke? Cause these are my weakness. :(
  • mackenzierain
    mackenzierain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i've heard milk/chocolate milk is good post-workout as it's high in protein

i usually will have a protein shake or make a smoothie after (milk, plain greek yogurt, frozen fruit and sometimes i'll add a bit of honey)
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or low-fat chocolate milk.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    lately I am just having a protein shake but throwing in a 1/3 cup of oats, shake it all up and voila an easy snack with good carbs and protein. Makes an easy breakfast or lunch on the run too, I have a couple of these a day lately. If you have one of those shakers with a little cup at the bottom you can fill the cup with almonds or trail mix and you have a great and easily prepared lunch.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You want a carb with a protein ideally so that your body can utilize the protein. I like strawberries and cottage cheese or berries with greek yogurt and stevia. (frozen berries = frozen yogurt YUM) Or something like peanutbutter and a wasa crispbread works too. But the possibilities are endless... :)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with a chopped up apple and cinnamon sprinkled on top when I have time.
    Usually I just throw a homemade protein bar in my gym bag and eat it when I'm done and getting ready for work.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do you think that it would be OK to have a Peanut butter sandwich after???
  • sammyjo0402
    Options
    ^^wouldn't be horrible.. equalize your carbs to protein to be about 4 to 1... The point of a "post-workout snack" is to quickly replenish your glycogen storage thus why they say something with a high GI is the one time where it's super good. (why certain sweets make a good post workout snack) However a pb sandwich isn't going to enter you bloodstream quickly... using white bread will speed it up a bit but generally you want to get a good dose of carbs and protein preferably in liquid form to quickly began the healing process for torn muscle tissue and growth.