how long to work out

Options
I was wondering how long you should work out daily. I work out on average for 30min to an hour. Should I be working out longer?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I only workout 1/2 hour per day 5-6 days per week, and it works quite well for me. the 1/2 hour is pretty intense (22 min 5k's, Hiit training, or circuit training with weights) I don't think I would be able to eat my exercise calories if I worked out longer.
  • bigguy00
    Options
    Are you suppose to eat your exercise calories?
  • weebles
    Options
    I was wondering that too! I thought you wanted to burn the calories.
  • DPBrown0818
    Options
    It's unfortunately not that simple of a question. It would depend on what kind of shape you are starting off in, what your goals are, what type of exercising you prefer.

45 mins of circuit training : combination or cardio and strength training can burn upwards of 600 calories for a guy maybe 450-500 for a woman.

I would say most important if you are just starting off, take it slow and ease into it.. you push too hard and hurt yourself or can't recover the next day you will lose momentum. Also keep it fresh try new things at the gym, definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I try for about 45 minutes a day, but I mix cardio and strength together (basically circuit training). I've been pretty happy so far.

And absolutely eat your exercise calories! If you don't, you go into starvation mode - search the Community tab, and you'll see tons of info about it!
  • DPBrown0818
    Options
    yes burnt calories will go against your goal caloric intake for the day.

IE: my BMR is 2100 and my goal caloric intake in hopes of losing X lbs is 1950. If i do 45 mins of circuit training which burns 600 calories I now can consume 2550 for the day... that's a couple beers :)
  • DTFaaron
    Options
    I was working out for 1.5 hours a day and lost a bunch of weight fast. Then I went to 30 min a day and didn't lose as much. I say work out 1 to 2 hours a day if you want faster results. Just like the show Biggest Loser.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I didnt see much results the first few weeks, I was only working out 30-40 minutes a day on the bike and doing little strength training. Week 3 I bumped it up and started doing about an hour of cardio on the bike. I then forced myself to also work on my bike at home. So I am doing about 1 1/2- 2 hours a day and have seen faster results. By all means eat your excercise calories. I displined myself that if I go over the calorie intake, I have to get back on the bike and burn them off. Its working. Good luck
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    yes burnt calories will go against your goal caloric intake for the day.

IE: my BMR is 2100 and my goal caloric intake in hopes of losing X lbs is 1950. If i do 45 mins of circuit training which burns 600 calories I now can consume 2550 for the day... that's a couple beers :)

I like your thinking!:drinker:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I work out for an hour every other day, but am close to my goal weight. I'll also throw in a lot of walking (2-3 miles) on off days.

I started out slowly, walking for about a mile...now a year later, i'm running 5 miles a day.