Running....

Options
Ok, I would like to start running and actually enjoy it. Right now I can run/ walk 2 mi in about 18 minutes. But I would love to be able to run the whole 2 miles and maybe even more and enjoy myself as so many other people who run do. Any runners out there have any advice on how I can increase mileage, pace and enjoyment??

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K

YOu might be able to jump in at week 2, but you could start a the beginning and just do the short running periods at a hard pace.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is supposed to be really good for beginners. I've just joined a running club that's for all levels of runner from novices like me to marathon runners which I find great for motivation and company on a run. Running is addictive once you get that "high" you won't look back :bigsmile:
  • sonny368
    Options
    You can look up at Runners' world is a site where you can search for the type of training you're looking for, I personally run but it took me a while to increase the mileage something like a month I had to built stronger legs and a fit heart, I suppose you can increase any 2-3 weekf of half a mile...but depends on a lot of things, your age, if you use whey proteins, how many days you run per week and if you recovery easily, so...try just do it and then you make your own adjustment but don't forget that if you don't built strong quads you risk to injury the knees, so a lot of squats and lunges between running ...
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    you need to slow down. 2 miles in 18 minutes = 9 min miles. Slow down, work on endurance. After you can do a distance then do speed work.
  • ac2662
    ac2662 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oops just realized that I put the wrong time. It's 18 minutes for 1.55 miles and 22 for 2 miles.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have run for some 30 odd years.
    If you want to enjoy it, I say: Don't sweat it.
    If you stick with it, you will get in better shape, it will get easier, and you will find it more enjoyable.
    I think so many people push too far too fast. Then it is uncomfortable, you get injured, you hate it, and you might make your goal of a race in two months, but six months later you have given it up, which is not much better than never having started at all.
    The analogy I always make is to piano teachers, my pet peeve. Piano teachers always tell their students that they have to practice an hour -- or even two hours -- a day or they will never be any good.
    And, that is true. You will probably never make it to Carnegie Hall unless you play, play, play.
    But, no 10-year-old can sit and concentrate for two hours, and those teachers lose nine out of ten potential pianists because those students hate it and drop it.
    You don't go out and practice for two hours. You learn how to do it. You start with 10 minutes every day. Maybe even less. And you gradually learn to apply yourself. And your practice time builds up, over months and years.
    The same is true for running. You want to be running in two years. There is no better way to make weight control easier than regular running. So, make it enjoyable. And relax.
    It can be one of the most satisfying things you do.