What is the deal with Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
Guys I need your help! After a lot of research on Amazon I bought a heart rate monitor. The one I got is on the cheaper side but it's my first one and I just wanted to try it out and even though it wasn't expensive it had good reviews.

Now I took it out, set it up, strapped on the chest strap and got to work on the treadmill. 60 minutes later the thing tells me my heart rate is only 55-70 BMP and that I've burned half the calories the treadmill counter said I did. Now I understand that the treadmill is not calculated for exact body weight so it may be off (although I think I weigh more than what the average treadmill is set for anyway) but there is no way after 60 minutes of brisk walking that my heart rate would be so low.

And the strangest thing... the instructions say to wet the chest strap receptors with saliva... gross. I don't know if that's normal for HRM but I think its weird.

So guys... please tell me... what HRM do you use, is it actuate, does it sound like the HRM I bought is not working correctly, and how can I make it more actuate before I just return the dumb thing?

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the strap?
    Sounds gross to you but you need to do it. I just use water for the one I have. The saliva thing really is no big deal, you dont have to lick the strap, just your finger then wipe it on. Try wetting it next time and see if you get a better reading. It's possible there is something wrong with it or their could be interference. Other HRM's in the vicinity can mess it up or cell phones, etc.
  • teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. A heart rate of 50-70 is usually a resting heart rate (like sitting on the coach or something). When your working out it would be higher than this especially if your running, it would probably get well over 100 at that point. As far as wetting the sensor strips, you can use water, I use water on mines everyday and shower with it afterwards as well (JUST THE STRAP THOUGH NOTHING ELSE). Check the settings, make sure your weight is entered, height, sex, etc. If those settings are there.
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used polar f6 and yes had to wet the chest strap (I would get my finger wet from the faucet and rub it on strap), I loved the HRM....the one thing I didn't like about it was when the battery in the chest strap died you had to order a new strap...I've changed to Polar FT4, I love this one because the chest strap has a battery that can be replaced. Anyhow, I can burn about 500-600 calories on high intensity on my treadmill doing it for 60 mins....maybe 5-8 mins of running 5.5-6.0mph and walking a pace of 4.0-4.5 mph. The treadmill counter will say I burned 700-800 calories.......also when running or at a 4.5 mph pace my heart rate is about 157 bpm.....slower walking about 131 mph....when I walk my dog outside its about 115-120 depending how fast my puppy is that day...hope this helps....both my heart rate monitors were about $70-$80 but I love them and when I lose them I feel like I just can't workout lol
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Did you wet the strap?
    Sounds gross to you but you need to do it. I just use water for the one I have. The saliva thing really is no big deal, you dont have to lick the strap, just your finger then wipe it on. Try wetting it next time and see if you get a better reading. It's possible there is something wrong with it or their could be interference. Other HRM's in the vicinity can mess it up or cell phones, etc.

I did wet it a lot. I did just that, wet my hand, then the strap. And I wet it continuously while working out because I thought maybe it had dried out... I was alone in my basement while using it so I don't know that there was any interference.
  • jessakittyis
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. A heart rate of 50-70 is usually a resting heart rate (like sitting on the coach or something). When your working out it would be higher than this especially if your running, it would probably get well over 100 at that point. As far as wetting the sensor strips, you can use water, I use water on mines everyday and shower with it afterwards as well (JUST THE STRAP THOUGH NOTHING ELSE). Check the settings, make sure your weight is entered, height, sex, etc. If those settings are there.

I know my heart rate should be way higher while working out because my normal resting rate is around like 78-80 I think. I have everything entered correctly and honestly unless I was like a 99 year old woman I don't think the heart rate reading would be so off because of incorrect age or whatever. Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    60 minutes later the thing tells me my heart rate is only 55-70 BMP and that I've burned half the calories the treadmill counter said I did.

Sounds like you have a defective heart rate monitor - I'd contact the seller about exchanging it. 55 BPM is a reasonable resting heart rate for someone who is somewhat athletic, and 70 BPM is a reasonable heart rate for someone of fairly average fitness.

If you were workin' it moderately hard, 110-140 BPM would be a very reasonable heartrate to hit, so it's possible the strap is sensing or reporting every other beat or something.
  • jessakittyis
    Options
    I used polar f6 and yes had to wet the chest strap (I would get my finger wet from the faucet and rub it on strap), I loved the HRM....the one thing I didn't like about it was when the battery in the chest strap died you had to order a new strap...I've changed to Polar FT4, I love this one because the chest strap has a battery that can be replaced. Anyhow, I can burn about 500-600 calories on high intensity on my treadmill doing it for 60 mins....maybe 5-8 mins of running 5.5-6.0mph and walking a pace of 4.0-4.5 mph. The treadmill counter will say I burned 700-800 calories.......also when running or at a 4.5 mph pace my heart rate is about 157 bpm.....slower walking about 131 mph....when I walk my dog outside its about 115-120 depending how fast my puppy is that day...hope this helps....both my heart rate monitors were about $70-$80 but I love them and when I lose them I feel like I just can't workout lol

I've read a lot about he Polar HRMs but the price even for the FT4 is just too high for me... I think maybe if I can't get thing one to work and I save up some money I'll try the Polar but for now its just not in my range unfortunately. I know HRM are really good for making sure I am accurately logging so I just wish this one would work!
  • jessakittyis
    Options
    60 minutes later the thing tells me my heart rate is only 55-70 BMP and that I've burned half the calories the treadmill counter said I did.

Sounds like you have a defective heart rate monitor - I'd contact the seller about exchanging it. 55 BPM is a reasonable resting heart rate for someone who is somewhat athletic, and 70 BPM is a reasonable heart rate for someone of fairly average fitness.

If you were workin' it moderately hard, 110-140 BPM would be a very reasonable heartrate to hit, so it's possible the strap is sensing or reporting every other beat or something.

Sounds defective to me too. I was just wondering if maybe I was using it wrong. I guess maybe my only hope here is to return/ exchange it and try again.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Can you return it and get a Polar? They are usually accurate and reliable. See article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/

If you are sure you had the strap sensors wet and the strap SNUG tight against your ribs up under your boobs so it could not move around.. and didn't have any wrinkles in it from putting it under a bra (i.e., smoothed it flat and tight under base strap).... and if you're sure you programmed it accurately, then it sounds like yours is defective.
  • Sylvel
    Options
    I too use the Polar watch. It helps you with a more effective workout. When I run my HR is between 145 and 151, sometimes a little more or less. That is usually what I target. When I go bike riding on my road bike, I usually have to really crank it up to get the HR at that level. I ride 15 miles and my heart rate will get to 130 pedaling at 12-15 mph. The higher the rate, the more calories burned. It also helps me keep track of calories burned because I have entered my height, age and weight, so it it basing it off my body and gives me accurate info. I usually just run the strap under the faucet to moisten it. Works great!
  • jessakittyis
    Options
    Can you return it and get a Polar? They are usually accurate and reliable. See article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/

If you are sure you had the strap sensors wet and the strap SNUG tight against your ribs up under your boobs so it could not move around.. and didn't have any wrinkles in it from putting it under a bra (i.e., smoothed it flat and tight under base strap).... and if you're sure you programmed it accurately, then it sounds like yours is defective.

Like I said above the Polar is kind of out of my price range...

I thought maybe I had it on TOO tight but I don't know if that can happen? It was completely flat all around and pushed it right up under my boobs. I see some suggestions to moisten it under the faucet... I might try that before I completely give up hope and return it as defective.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I got an inexpensive Polar at Target for $60. Not sure if that is still out of your range or not. It doesn't have a built in calorie counter but I just use www.calories-calculator.net to manually figure it out. It's the Polar FT1.
  • jessakittyis
    Options

I got an inexpensive Polar at Target for $60. Not sure if that is still out of your range or not. It doesn't have a built in calorie counter but I just use www.calories-calculator.net to manually figure it out. It's the Polar FT1.

The main reason I want a HRM is for the calorie counting so that monitor would not work for me. But that you for the suggestion.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I thought maybe I had it on TOO tight but I don't know if that can happen? It was completely flat all around and pushed it right up under my boobs. I see some suggestions to moisten it under the faucet... I might try that before I completely give up hope and return it as defective.
    Try wearing it lower and see if that helps. I use to wear it right under my bra strap and didn't always get a reading, wearing it a little lower, like the bottom of rib cage, seems to work better for me.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I see some suggestions to moisten it under the faucet... I might try that before I completely give up hope and return it as defective.

I also do mine under the faucet.