Feeling Compelled to Eat?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm new on here, but I joined because I feel like I need to gain control of my eating. (Probably a common dilemma on here haha) Anyway, I always worry that if I don't eat a meal I will binge later or that if I don't eat a "bite" of whatever the food I want to snack on is, I will binge on it later. The problem is that once I take that first bite, I feel like I can't stop. I will say to myself "I'll just have a bite of ice-cream" and 10 minutes later half the carton will be gone. If I don't take that first bite though, I will keep thinking about it until I do, and that usually leads to a binge. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you combat it?

Replies

• RMCoffey
    Options
    Anything with sugar in it makes me feel this way...One bite and I could eat the whole fricken thing! And this is hard for me - I work in a dessert factory. I know I just can't have even one bite. I plan ahead and bring plenty of healthy snacks. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. (I win more so than not) Its just about will power and its not easy.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    One of the things that has helped me the most is to buy the smallest portions of treats, snacks etc. I always eat to the end of the pack, so if the pack is small I stop! I have a supply of treatsize chocolate bars, mini wrapped cheeses etc for when I feel the need.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! No matter what food is in the house, it will be calling my name. Do you exercise? I find that exercising kind of curbs my appetite. Although it sounds like your problem does not have anything to do with being hungry.

With something like the ice cream problem, just put one scoop in a bowl and eat the whole bowl. That way you can stop when the bowl is gone. Portion control drove me crazy at first, but now I'm so good at it I can guess portion sizes, like at a restaurant and stuff.

Finally, fill your kitchen with healthy foods! Replace ice cream with frozen yogurt or Skinny Cow. Replace candy bars with bananas, and soda with Vitamin Water Zero (or even diet cola if that is a big step for you.)

You've made the first big step to conquering your addiction! I'm proud of you!
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem for years was late night snacking, because I would be on my own and too tired to think about anything other than what snack would be tastiest. I didn't have enough self control, and because no one was around I felt like I was in a little bubble where there would be no consequences.

I eventually realised that I never felt like this around friends or girlfriends because I was there with other people, most of whom were in better shape than myself. Plus, when someone else was there I was more likely to feel embarrassed about grabbing something extra to eat that we all knew I didn't need.

So now I have a picture of someone important to me on the fridge. It's the first thing I see and it makes me think about how I would react if they were right there at that very moment.

Works a treat. Obviously not the same treat I would have eaten, but you get the point.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I do that with chips and such. My defense is to say, "Okay, I know that one bite isn't going to be enough. Portion it out (use a scale or some kind of measuring device if your counting calories and want to be accurate), put the bag/carton/container away and then only eat what you take." Works well 95% of the time.
  • vmshelley
    vmshelley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice -- never, ever eat a snack straight out of the bag or carton. Measure out a reasonable portion, close the bag and put it away, and then sit down to enjoy your snack. Better yet, buy snacks in portion-control packages - 100-calory bags of chips, or mini ice cream bars. Much easier to control that way.
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sugar, grease, junk food - they are very addictive, the more you eat them the more you want them. Trust me I was literally addicted to fast food. I had to overcome this addiction one day at a time. The first few mornings that I passed by the fast food joint without stopping for my sasuage, egg, cheese bisquit with 2 hashbrowns and a large coke, my knuckles were white on the steering wheel of my car as I truly fought with myself to pass by and not pull in to order. Then day by day it got easier to let go of that addicition. I am 4 months in and 55 pounds down at this point. I let myself have a cheat meal once every week or two and when a craving hits me I try to eat something healthy. When I get hit with a sweet tooth chewing a piece of gum really helps take care of that craving without having all those calories.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You got this.........
  • HypnoticHaylee
    Options
    I am the same way..honestly Ive found that not keeping these type of foods in the house is really the only way to combat this. After a while the " I NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY THIS NOW" will go away
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 'club' looks like a lot of us struggle with the same issue. I have found that drinking water when that hits helps. It's also a matter of plain ol self control. I've gotten more in the habit of measuring out my chocolate almonds and putting the rest away. One thing I try to do when I can is savor those moments - no distratiions so I can fully appreciate the taste. Hope that helps.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive to some people - have a look for radiant recovery on the web - it may explain what is going on for you :-) Good luck
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    eating one bite is making it worse. Like Lay's poato chip campaign slogan "You can't eat just one!" You are playing mind games with your willpower. It's hard enough looking at a cupcake and thinking it LOOKS good, but having a bite...a teaser...is so much harder when you say to yourself, that WAS good. And try to stop there. Usually you won't.
    1. I only buy single portion treats. Like weight watchers or skinny cow icecream bar. I always stop at one bar but if I were scooping from a tub of icecream? No.
    2. I make myself say no to temptation but plan that for my next treat. I can't have that cookie. But next time I have calories to spare I can have one.
    3. Have plenty of treats that are healthy and/or low-cal. 100-calorie packs, Kashi oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, etc. Whatever you love. When u have a craving, reach for one of those instead.
    4. I noticed I have less cravings when I workout a lot. Maybe I'm strength training my willpower muscles, lol. Maybe I just don't want to undo all the hard work I just did. Maybe one good choice leads to another and then another. Whatever the reason, I know working out not only boosts my metabolism but also decreases my appetite.

Hope that helps! You aren't alone in those feelings but we all have to do what works for us. For me, I would be sabotaging myself if I allowed my inner fat kid to convince me that if I don't give in to one bite I'll binge later. Especially if one bite often leads to a binge. Don't worry about a possible binge later. Fend off the possible binge right in front of you! Sometimes we take it day by day, but sometimes we are hour by hour or minute by minute.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    You might want to look into Overeaters Anonymous. You can look up www.oa.org and see what it is all about. When you go to the website, click on Newcomers and then "Is OA for you?"

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    something to think about-

Are you really hungry or do you just think you should eat something or craving something?
    Go somewhere with no distractions for a minute and focus on yourself, are you really hungry or do you just want to eat to eat?

this has been helping me, and the scale!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I found to start with it was easier just to say "I don't eat that anymore" to anything I knew wouldn't be considered diet food. Gradually as time goes on you just get used to not having it and find out what you enjoy most and sneak that back in within your calorie goal from time to time - exercise calories are a great way of earning such treats.

Fill yourself up with healthy stuff and your cravings will gradually disappear!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You stop at half a carton? Congrats! They key is to work on not taking that first bite, right? I'm the same way. One bite, and I'm doomed to finish off whatever I've sampled.

Fight the bite.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Fight food cravings:

Distract yourself with something else.
    If you feel like something sweet, eat a peach/strawberry/smoothie/w.e.
    If you feel like something crunchy? Eat an apple, carrot, pretzels, baked sweet potato chips even!
    Sometimes cravings are caused by stressed, anger or just plain boredom. If that's the case workout! This doesn't mean pump iron for an hour or go on the treadmill till your legs feel like they're made out of ramen noodles. This could just be a 15 minutes walk, or some push ups and sit ups.
    Plan your meals ahead. This will eliminate times that you might get hungry. If you know you get hungry at 4pm. Then schedule your meals at 4pm!
    Drink a lot... OF WATER!
    It's late, I mean passed your bed time late, and you're still feeling a little hungry? Go to sleep!
    Feel like something sweet AGAIN? Chew some gum! Have a piece of fruit!
    Try and make a healthy variation of your favorite sweet. When the time comes and the cravings are kicking in, enjoy!

Sometimes it's okay to give in, just don't make a habit out of it and keep it small. Take your time, enjoy the chocolaty goodness of a piece of cake, or the creaminess of ice cream. Don't scarf it down. Enjoy the little things!

Hope this helps
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Potato chips.... evil things. Same situation for me. I jsut stay from them but once in a while, I give in and eat some, lots and get right back to the PLAN. The key is to go right back to the PLAN. I don't let it become a whole week of crazy eating anymore.
    Anyway, that's what I do.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's an addiction, not a lack of will power. Treat it as such and don't beat yourself up about it. It's really much easier to break the physical addition than you think it will be. The mental issues are a bit tougher.
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would suggest portioning. don't eat the whole quart of ice cream, scoop out to a cup. Put some chips in a bowl. Make it an effort to go get more. You can do this,