Diary Equivocation

Options
I've been here a little less than a month and for many food items in my diary I tend to equivocate to a similar food that's not quite exact, but is the closest I can find. Occasionally I'll go to the trouble of parting everything out from the meal I've just eaten, but more often than not I just find something that's close. Should I "stop being lazy" about it, or is this a perfectly acceptable thing to do?

Replies

• jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I search for something and use my best judgement on what to select from whatever pops up. With multi-ingredient dishes (especially restaurant food), I try to guesstimate how much of what different things are in them and search that. At home, I know what brand and I weigh and measure food so I can get it pretty exact. But I think we all have to use estimates. As long as you try hard to be honest with yourself about portion size, etc., I think estimating and picking the closest thing is how you have to do it.
  • ciobair
    Options
    I have become really sad and actually record everything - you'll know that having looked at my diary.........

We live in the boonies so there's not much eating out at restaurants, I guess my problem will be having dinners at friends' homes.

I'll just have to go with best guess then.
    But to answer your question, I kind of like knowing fairly accurate info - it depends on how much time you want to spend logging. maybe.
  • Khymera
    Options
    On the rare occasions that I can't find exactly what I ate in the database, I'll look at several similar items and then choose the one with the most calories (I'd rather overestimate than underestimate). If it's something I cooked myself, I'll just build myself a recipe for it.