I know it's not good..

Options
Today I did not eat breakfast...and I'm not as hungry as usual..like when I do eat breakfast. I don't get it. I could probably go everyday without eating breakfast. I drink my extra large coffee with skim milk everyday. Can that count as breakfast? It's my afternoon and PM appetite that gets me everyday. For some reason I am soo hungry in the afternoon and at night. I would much rather save a couple hundred calories in the morning as breakfast...and be able to eat couple more snacks after lunch and after dinner.

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea! You need food to get your metabolism stoked up in the a.m. You're not hungry because your fire isn't burning yet. Plus, a lot of research has been done that shows more breakfast actually helps with the afternoon/evening munchies. It doesn't change automatically, but I have noticed now that I eat a good breakfast all the time I munch less in the evening - when I'm not stressed out anyway! LOL. You really need to get food in your system in the a.m.! I know some even recommend getting more of your calories with breakfast than with any other meal. I haven't gotten there yet :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Today I did not eat breakfast...and I'm not as hungry as usual..like when I do eat breakfast. I don't get it. I could probably go everyday without eating breakfast. I drink my extra large coffee with skim milk everyday. Can that count as breakfast? It's my afternoon and PM appetite that gets me everyday. For some reason I am soo hungry in the afternoon and at night. I would much rather save a couple hundred calories in the morning as breakfast...and be able to eat couple more snacks after lunch and after dinner.

yep, eat your breakfast! Nuff said.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea! You need food to get your metabolism stoked up in the a.m. You're not hungry because your fire isn't burning yet. Plus, a lot of research has been done that shows more breakfast actually helps with the afternoon/evening munchies. It doesn't change automatically, but I have noticed now that I eat a good breakfast all the time I munch less in the evening - when I'm not stressed out anyway! LOL. You really need to get food in your system in the a.m.! I know some even recommend getting more of your calories with breakfast than with any other meal. I haven't gotten there yet :)

It makes me hungrier though!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I think one of the reasons you are supposed to eat breakfast is because it kicks up your metabolism for the day. Being hungry before lunch is a good thing. Eat a mid-morning snack to keep your metabolism going...
  • suiciedchild
    Options
    Eat some thing small like a gronola bar ( something with some protien i've read will make you feel fuller ) or something later in the morning , that should curve the afternoon , and have a small snack between lunch and dinner , that ussually helps me to not indulge to much at those meals
  • MTGirl
    Options

I did say it takes time! Doesn't happen right away. You should get hungry - it's your body's way of telling you that it is using the fuel and needing more. Keep that metabolism stoked up and you will keep burning calories - some of them will be unwanted fat, especially if you stick to your correct calorie deficit! Don't hurt your body by not fueling it properly - that is a no win situation. :flowerforyou:
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I never in all my life could eat breakfast until I started the food plan I'm on. I had to literally force myself. Now, I can't go without it. You're body has been in fat storing mode all night, you must eat something even if it's just a snack within an hour of waking up to get your body back in fat burning mode. I eat every 2 to 3 hours all day long, snack, breakfast, lunch, snack, snack, dinner, snack. Once you get in the habit of doing this, while you may be hungry, it's your body burning the fat, you'll be fine!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Ok so what time should i eat then. I usually wake up at 7 and get to work for 8
  • MFT2010
    MFT2010 Posts: 122
    Options
    I too had to FORCE myself to eat breakfast when I was not hungry! However, after only a few weeks I wake up starving and ready for breakfast :)

Try it it can't hurt! Good Luck!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OH, oh, oh!!!! I totally understand what you mean. I was never hungry in the morning, and alway hungry in the late afternoon and night. Since starting MFP (and watching way to many Activia commercials) I started having yogurt in the morning with my usual two cups of tea.

After six weeks, things have changed dramatically. I am still sometimes not hungry in the morning, but I eat something - yesterday because I was on the run, I grabbed some leftover seared tuna :laugh: Not your typical breakfast food, but oh well.
    I am no longer ravenous later in the day and have been losing weight steadily.

I vote for breakfast!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

eat when you feel comfortable in the morning, just eat. You're hungry because your body is working, you should be far more worried if you wake up, and can go for 3 to 4 hours without eating, generally this means you're sliding into some portion of starvation and are canabalizing protein and calcium from your muscles and bones (respectively) for energy. Never a good thing.
  • MTGirl
    Options

You can either get up 15 min. early and allow time to eat or get some granola bar type stuff to take with you and eat on the way to work. You could prep stuff the night before - boil an egg and put some yogurt with it to eat, prep some veggies and beat some eggs, or have a carton of egg beaters, and make a quick scramble or omlet. Lots of options, you can find pretty healthy cereal and have a bowl of that in less than 5 minutes. Just a few ideas!

edited to say: I don't really mean to mix hard boiled egg with yogurt, just put them next to eachother in the fridge so their easier to grab!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I am never hungry in the morning either and I hate to force feed myself (it just doesn't seem right). So I went out and bought a bunch of the Special K Protein Shakes. I just slam one of those for breakfast (after I've had my coffee of course) and head to work.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    I would suggest trying to incorporate fibre and/or protein in your breakfast. This is what keeps me full and wards off the midmorning munchies. But yes breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism, so instead of luggin around a sluggish noncalorie burning body. U r starting the process of burning off calories for the rest of the day. Coffee helps fill me up to, I wouldn't lose the coffee ;)
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have started eating something about every 2 to 4 hours each day, depending on the day. It has help when I start doing the treadmill at around 5:30pm. Last week I was consistently jogging 18 minutes at the same pace and last night I jogged 36 minutes without walking at the same pace as last week. I think there is something about eating breakfeast to start the day eating small snacks through the day.

Good Luck, but eat something in the morning. 2 servings of Captn' Crunch dry cereal in the moring is 220 calories.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

eat some healthy snacks. drink more water. sometimes you think your body is saying it's hungry and it's dehydrated and thirsty. it does take an adjustment. i was the same way. but it's true, your body probably isn't burning anythng so it doesn't need fuel.

tip, if you like celery, it takes more calories to digest celery than it has in it. so you can be burning calories while eating a snack.
  • firepixie
    Options
    How late do you eat at night? If you are eating too much at night, you won't be hungry right away in the morning because you are still kind of full. Just a thought.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I like fruit first thing in the morning. Its very easy to eat, you can grab and go if you need to, its light and fruit digests really fast so not only does it rev up your metabolism, but with nothing else in your stomach, fast digestion, and high fiber that fruit is great for you get your bowels moving earlier too which is very important for weight loss. Remember, what goes in must come out either through calorie burn or.. ya know. I definitely recommend fruit, a peice or two with your coffee. If you find yourself famished around 10 have 1/4 cup of almonds. They wake you up and stave off hunger.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    You probably wouldn't be as hungry in the afternoon if you ate a hardy breakfast like oatmeal for example :smile:

~Leash :heart:
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I drink a bottle of water on the way to work and then eat my first meal when I get there around 7am.