This is something I won't even ask my doctor

Options
So, I'm guessing this new eating routine has messed me up. I havent' 'gone to the bathroom' in a week. Basically I'm down to going once a week. I drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fiber (but not too much), and have a relatively balanced diet. I've even upped the fat a bit to see if that helps..it has not. Any ideas? This is so unpleasant.

Replies

• aimeero2012
    Options
    Have you cut out all dairy? I did this years ago and was so bunged up. Try adding some. If you don't improve you must go to the doctor! Good luck x
  • MeAfter30
    Options
    Really you should feel comfortable asking your doctor that, they are in fact a doctor. However that said, my advice would be to take a stool softener like Senna tablets for a week or two to help regulate things. If you are still having issues... you'll have to suck it up and talk to your doctor. Good luck! :)
  • emilyia
    Options
    I've dealt with this problem my whole life. Your doctor will most likely tell you to take Mirilax which you can buy over the counter.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Try dried apricots, they are so tasty but if I eat too many..............
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to get this info... my mom had me trippin out thinking that I was having a serious problem lol... I know its because of the changes my body is going through... but it doesn't hurt me or anything..... weird
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dieting can cause the issue or lack of issue! I use metamucil before a meal- helps me feel fuller plus keeps me regular- is supposed to help with diabetes and high cholestrol as well. I actually like the same sort of thing in chewable orange tablets- they help my sweet tooth LOL! You have to make sure you drink at least 8 ounces of water though.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but it would be helpful to verify how much fiber/what kind of food you've been eating.

I consider myself something of a poop expert, and I would recommend increasing your magnesium. Take a supplement, eat more fish/grains that contain it (millet has tons of magnesium), etc. It definitely gets things moving.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    firstsip can you look at mine too? I have no clue what is going on... Sorry :(
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't weirded out by this at all. They hear about it all the time! My dads a doc, and he'll tell crazy poop stories at the dinner table!
  • joelius_wegs
    joelius_wegs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    slurp down some prune juice, should clear you right up.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't find fibre plays any role for me. In fact the more fibre that I eat the more I am likely to have digestive problems. I would have thought that fat would help. I eat a high fat diet and since changing to how I eat now, I have zero health issues, including digestive issues.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't weirded out by this at all. They hear about it all the time! My dads a doc, and he'll tell crazy poop stories at the dinner table!

I agree, and if this is a departure from your normal, you could have a small blockage some where along the line. This is something you need to discuss with your MD. There are a bunch of foods that will help pass things along, {I just read that non grounded flax seeds are great for this} as well as over the counter stool softeners that you can take.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Figs prunes and dates are supposed to be uber good. A smoothie fulla that little lot and u will going before u know it :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Might have a record brewing, maybe even 15 courics. Are you eating exclusively at PF Changs?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This happens tome usually when I start eating well. So strange - I increase my fruit, veges, water intake and then I get clogged up. I tried prune juice and laxatives but they didn't do much at all. Then I went to a homeopathic shop and they suggested magnesium citrate tablets. I took those for a month and they work well, bit too well really, but as soon as I stopped I got clogged up again. I put metimucil and flaxseed in my breakfast smoothie and 1T sunflower seeds on salad for lunch. It took a month or so but I eventually became regular again which is every 2-3 days for me. Everybody has a different theory so you've just got to try and see what works for you.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of fiber and you need a balance of both to stay regular. Soluble fiber is what you find in oat bran and most veggies. It helps add bulk and hold water but does not move you along like insoluble fiber does.
    Look for wheat bran - fiber one original or all bran are both good sources.

Coffee has a stimulant effect for many.
    Prune juice/ stewed prune or just plain out of the box prunes are effective for some.
    Mirilax will help draw water into colon and can be helpful.
    A stool softener like colase may help as well.
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My doc said to take probiotics also and that has helped me.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So, I'm guessing this new eating routine has messed me up. I havent' 'gone to the bathroom' in a week. Basically I'm down to going once a week. I drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fiber (but not too much), and have a relatively balanced diet. I've even upped the fat a bit to see if that helps..it has not. Any ideas? This is so unpleasant.

Yes. Add digestive enzymes (Garden of Life has really good ones) and probiotic to your diet either in pill form or by eating Greek Yogurt. You may have to do a combination of these but the digestive enzymes are super important. They will help break down the food and move it through your system. Probiotics and/or Greek Yogurt in Kefir form will add good bacteria in your gut which is essential to good gut health.

If you need anymore help, please feel free to friend me.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of fiber and you need a balance of both to stay regular. Soluble fiber is what you find in oat bran and most veggies. It helps add bulk and hold water but does not move you along like insoluble fiber does.
    Look for wheat bran - fiber one original or all bran are both good sources.

Coffee has a stimulant effect for many.
    Prune juice/ stewed prune or just plain out of the box prunes are effective for some.
    Mirilax will help draw water into colon and can be helpful.
    A stool softener like colase may help as well.

^^this exactly

plus some yogurt for the probiotics once things get moving again.