Birthcontrol?

Options
Is there a good birthcontrol that doesnt affect weight? or make you crazy with emotions? Anybody have any lunch with anything? Ive thought about the nuvaring or maybe even an IUD instead....Just looking for some feedback on birthcontrol because I have to go get a refill and i dont like the kind I am on!

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nuvaring is just another way to deliver the same hormones as the pill. With women I've known, it seems to come down to trial and error.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take Loestrin 24 FE and so far I've hadn't had any side affects and losing weight was a breeze on it.

That's me though, and for you it may be different.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    well Id say any birth control is better than none cause with no birth control you could be gaining a whole bunch of weight...baby weight
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm on an OrthoTricyclen Lo generic, and it doesn't affect my ability to lose weight.

If you want to go hormone-free, copper IUDs work well, from what I've read. Mirena IUD has hormones.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about yasmin ...tried microgynon (the devil pill) and just stopped taking mercilon !
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If I ever need to go back on, I'm going to use a copper IUD. I have used both Depo shots and NuvaRing, and neither had acceptable side effects. Hormone free for me in the future! I would have tried an IUD before, but they always declined to let women without children use them, but not anymore.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Personally....I've never had good luck even with Lo-dose pills

I had an IUD for one year and it was horrible! My periods never regulated and then I started spotting for a month straight. Ended up with 3 bacterial infections and pelvic pain b/c my body was essentially rejecting this foreign object. I had to have it removed.

Also tried the nuvaring....um I became FREAKED OUT with the coloring of my lady parts changed.

The only thing I've had good luck with has been Trojan her pleasure condoms lol true story
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    celibacy.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've had good luck with has been Trojan her pleasure condoms lol true story

I agree, plain old hormone-free condoms for me...
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've had the best luck with the Mirena IUD. With pills and the shots, I lost all desire for sex. I didn't even want to be touched. I gained some weight too. I'm on my second IUD now (replaced every 5 years) and I love it!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    celibacy.

That too.....however speaking as somebody who is unwillingly celibate...not much fun
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I take Loestrin 24 FE and so far I've hadn't had any side affects and losing weight was a breeze on it.

That's me though, and for you it may be different.

I take this as well...it's higher dosage of hormones but I guess my body needed it (a doctor recommended it) weight loss has been good on it...didnt gain weight either...sometimes I do get spotting but that's my bad for missing the pill one or two days...
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I highly advocate making sure you are on a second generation BCP, if you are going to continue on hormones. The 3rd generation (includes Yaz, NuvaRing, the Patch, among others) have a significantly higher risk of stroke and embolism even among perfectly healthy non-smokers. I personally know 2 women who had strokes in their early 30s because of 3rd generation BCPs. The 2nd generation of hormones (Ortho-Novum TriCyclen, among others) does not have these associated risks.

I took TriCyclen for many years in my 20s with great success. Each week, the amounts of hormones are adjusted to more closely mimic the body's natural fluctations. This decreases the side effects (moodiness, weight gain, acne) typically associated with BCPs.

Anecdotally, I made it 4 days on the NuvaRing before I threw it away. My mood swings were so awful, I thought I was going to kill someone. That's what led me to research why I was behaving so differently from other homonal birth control methods I previously used. I did a paper on it for a college class this summer, and I was amazed at how many studies done outside of the United States (read: not paid for by pharmaceutical companies) proved a definite correlation between the specific 3rd gen estrogens and high risk side effects.

All that said, educate yourself as much as you can before you go to the doctor, and let her/her know what your concerns are. Your doctor will be able to lead you to the right solution for your situation.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I used Seasonale for years and never had any problems with it (I just got off it Sunday, to see if I am in menopause....I'm 49). With Seasonale, you only have a period once every three months, which was wonderful!

Twelve years ago, after my last child was born, I opted for an IUD.i know they work well for some , but it was a disaster for me. I had to have it removed after a couple months and go back on birth control pills. Apparently mine was an unusual case, but I certainly can't recommend it.

Hope you find something that works well for you!