Half-marathon in 4 weeks and haven't train. HELP!

Options
I messed up. I was running great 2 months ago. Going as far as 8 miles for my long runs. Then I stopped Aug. 15 when I went to Ecuador. I haven't trained since and I have a half-marathon in 4 weeks. Before I stopped my longest run was 8 miles and I was running a 5K in 24:30 minutes.

Should get myself together, train and do this race? Or, should I admit that I messed up real bad and take myself out of the race??

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    What's the worst that could happen if you did go to the race? You might walk some of it? Assuming there aren't time restrictions on finishing, I would go, enjoy it, take the pressure off yourself and just get round. If you have previously run on a regular basis I'm guessing you won't have 'lost' your fitness.

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to suggest how you train from here...
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Go for a long run this weekend, aim for 8 miles or more and see how you do. If you're okay, increase it next weekend and decide then if you thing you can finish. Don't put too much pressure on yourself for tme, just aim to finish it. You don't have to decide today, but if you feel like you're not ready a week or 2 out before the race, drop out of it then and train better for the next one.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It mostly depends on how long you had been training before the break. If your fitness was deep, i.e. you had been running a lot for more than a year, you could probably pick back up and run the race at a slower pace than originally planned. If you had just been running a little while and your fitness was shallow then in a month you lost a lot of it.

I would suggest starting your training again and reevaluating your ability after a week. The question to ask is do you feel like you can run 13.1 miles. If you do have to skip the race then just take it as a lesson learned and continue training for the next one.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I think you should stick with it...walk some if you have to but I believe you can do this....good luck and blessings!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine...seriously.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have done several marathons where I walked it and I had done very little training beforehand. I knew I needed to do more, but I just didnt. However, I was not going to let that stop me from finishing. I have finished every single one, although my times werent great. It just made me want to push more each time. Do the best you can to prepare of the next weeks and it give it the best you can. you might suprise yourself.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    dude, you have 4 weeks!!! train! That is all
  • DOB1973
    DOB1973 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Stick with it..... You still have 4 weeks to train.

Good luck, you can do it.
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Alright sticking with it! thanks all!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Absolutely stick with it. Worst case you don't get the kind of time you wanted, but if this is your first, then you get to hit a great milestone.

I had to stop all training myself for a month following a medical scare (nothing wrong, total false alarm). I got the green light 2 weeks before my first race and I was nervous about it, just like you but it was absolutely fine. The atmosphere at the event will carry you far.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I messed up. I was running great 2 months ago. Going as far as 8 miles for my long runs. Then I stopped Aug. 15 when I went to Ecuador. I haven't trained since and I have a half-marathon in 4 weeks. Before I stopped my longest run was 8 miles and I was running a 5K in 24:30 minutes.

Should get myself together, train and do this race? Or, should I admit that I messed up real bad and take myself out of the race??

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Do a foot-time long run to give you confidence in the next 3 weeks, sooner is better. Figure out how long the half is likely to take, with slower pace now.

Now figure out how to spend that much time on your feet, not running totally, but a lot more walking.

Like if you think it'll take 2:30 now.
    20 min walk.
    5 mile run at race pace. 45 min?
    walk enough to make the total 2:30 hrs. 20 min?
    5 mile run at race pace. 45 min?
    20 min walk.

There, you just spent the same amount of time on your feet. And 10 miles. Only have to add the 5K at race time to it. But you know your body can take the foot time.
    You can confirm shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, hydration, ect all work fine with no bad results. If any problems then time to correct.

Then get some other long slow runs in to get your aerobic system back in shape. You can lose that much faster than muscle ability.

Worse comes to worse during the race, you do an interval style with some walks thrown in, but likely just slower pace will handle it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    RUn 4 times a week and increase distance each time. Even if you have to walk a lot of it - do it anyway! The goal is to finish the race... YOU CAN DO IT
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! i'll let you guys know how I did!