Sorry people, PMS question...

Options
Sorry guys, a bit embarrassed to ask but can't seem to find anything on the web! :blushing:

I was lucky never used to get PMS or cramps or anything, and never got what my friends were going on about when they complained.

But since I'm almost at my goal I've got really bad PMS, I just suddenly go all awkward and sensitive, and things that never bother me normally want to make me cry! I've also had stomach cramps that HURT, and every month when before it was, like, every 7 or 8 weeks! I was never properly overweight, just had a bit extra padding. Will losing the padding make it worse?

I know PMS and cramps are pretty normal, but are they connected to weight loss? Have other people had similar problems? Will they go away when I stop dieting? Is there any way to make them go away now-ish?:sad:

Replies

• scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    buuump :blushing:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Do you have any thyroid problems?

I ask because I have and now I have started medication the weight is starting to come off, but my cycle is all over the place. I get sore boobs and horrible cramps. I never had them before when I was obese, now I am overweight they are bad! :grumble:
  • scinamon1
    Options
    No, I had it checked a few months ago cos my parents have thyroid problems and it was totally fine. Aw, hopefully you'll be sorted soon if they can balance the medicine right!
  • sujatharice
    Options
    Are you taking a multivitamin? Eating less means we may be missing out on some nutrients. Magnesium is meant to be good for easing cramps and the irritability of PMS. So it may not be the weight loss itself as such, just the lowered level of magnesium. You could give magnesium supplements a go and see if it makes a difference.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You should be more embarrassed to post a "hot women over 40" or "would you bang the person above you". This topic gets my approval 100%
  • MommaBelvin
    MommaBelvin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    you know im going to school to be a medical assistant and what i can tell you is that PMS stands for pre menstral syndrome and is serisously effects every part of your body because of what your uterus is doing. so i would say yes it is effected by weight loss because you also have to remember that when you lose weight it also effects your hormones. so i guess just by what iv learned im saying yes that things will start to change. but who knows maybe as your body gets used to you being at the new weight that it will stop
  • scinamon1
    Options
    thanks, I'll look into them tomorrow. I hate feeling like a bear with a headache! (or however the saying goes)
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    no idea if they are connected to weight loss...mine aren't and i normally ending up practically crawling everywhere high on paracetamol and ibuprofen, with hot water bottle and heat packs on my tum and back...best advice I can give is nurofen express liquid capsule...has to be liquid capsule the ad says it works in 10minutes and i say it saved my life - better than the *kitten* the doctor gave me and sticky heat packs, stick on your skin and invisible under clothing

good luck !
  • jnoire
    Options
    Are you having a vitamin deficiency? Try taking magnesium citrate and calcium. I use one By Solgar. Also a women's Multivitamin. I use Rainbow Light Organic Women's Daily Multivitamin. It is a world of difference around that time of the month because I take these.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If your body fat percentage is too high or too low your period will not be normal. So maybe, as you have gotten your body into a healthy place, it is just adjusting to what to do with itself now?
  • scinamon1
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the vitamins as soon as the chemist opens tomorrow!

I don't know if my BF% has changed enough for it to be that; it's gone from about 24% to 17.7% according to my (probably inaccurate!) scales. But thanks; these have really made me feel better already!