Looking for parents of young children!

Options
Hi all - I'm looking for parents who are seeing diet/life change success while still sharing meals your young children (think ages infant to seventh grade-ish). I'm especially wondering about how you handle supper/dinner. I find that I want to "sit down and eat" once all of the family is home and gathered around the table. However, what I should eat and in what quantity is usually quite different from my children's needs/wants. I really do not want to make two menus on any given night...How are others dealing with this challenge?

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I make my dinner for everyone and they can choose to eat it or not.

Things like roast chicken, mashed potato and carrots

or

grilled steak, rice, and broccoli

or

turkey veggie lasagna

I do let them choose what to eat, so I don't force anything. And if they want something else I offer something easy like fruit, cheese, or yogurt. Also most nights my husband and kids have some kind of small dessert (usually ice cream) and I skip that.

Some nights they have homemade macaroni and cheese or a pizza and I usually have leftovers from a previous normal dinner. I almost never actually make two dinners though. ETA my kids are 4 and 8.
  • mommy_03
    mommy_03 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    some nights i make 2 meals, one for me and hubby and one for kids but tonight we are having spaghetti so i already measured out my 2oz of dry pasta and will have to cook that seperately from the pot im making for the family just because its measured out and since it doesnt look like alot i am going to make myself a garden salad to pair with it to hopefully fill me up:)
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have three small children - 8, 5, and two. Aside from my two year old, we all eat the same thing. Yes, it's been hard getting them to switch over to a healthier menu. However, just like us adults, the more you substitute the sugary for the healthy, their tastebuds will change. Were my kids receptive to almonds? Not at first, but now they ask for them as a snack. Since we've made this lifestyle change as a family we're more likely to stick with it - we're now a team. My two year old has celiacs, so while he may sometimes have different meals, it's more from a food allergy than anything else. We've cut out all sweets at our house. So they can eat as much or as little of the healthy food as they want - just like us, they're bodies will tell them what they need. And as long as they're getting nutritious food, they'll be just fine.
  • letsgethealthy
    letsgethealthy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All meals are the same for myself and my family. My kiddos are 4, 8 and 10. If it's salad then we all eat salad. Kids need to eat just as healthy as adults do. So the same thing only a smaller portion for the kiddos. We all eat together and stay until everyone is done.
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello I have a 3 year old about to be four and her an my husband pretty much eat what I cook I have been following some of special K's meals and Dr.Oz meals. Things like shrimp tacos and turkey burgers things that we all like to eat but they are made with turkey or shrimp instead of beef. So we all benefit from them and I can still stick to my diet. I normally come up with a weekly menu and me and my husband agree on whats for dinner ahead of time, because all three of us are picky eaters but I am trying to open up to more beans and veggies, because I love the unhealthy foods more. Give it a try plan your meals ahead and make it something the whole family can agree on.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    start the positive food habits now and the kids will get on board. My kids have always eaten whatever I make as a meal, my portions are now just smaller. they try a little of everything. if they absolutely don't like it and are still hungry then they are offered fruit or yogurt or nuts or another healthy snack to get them through the night until breakfast. I refuse to be a short order cook. There is no reason, IMO, that my kids cannot eat what the adults eat. :)

ETA:I have a 7.5yo and twin almost 5yo kiddos. they snack on potato chips just as readily as they would on cantaloupe or apples.

ETA again: I am changing my eating habits as a way of life NOT as a diet. there is no reason my children cannot come along with me on this journey.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My kid is gonna be 15mo soon.

I never make anything different from me. Actually I havent really changed my dinners since starting to work out. I just eat less.
    Now, our dinners have been always been homemade and healthy ( to a point). So most of the time, we just eat the same thing and I eat less. I barely have time to make one dinner, couldnt imagine making two
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I agree with everyone in that you should start healthy habits now with the little ones! I have an almost 3-year-old, and she eats what we eat... and loves it! I generally follow skinnytaste.com, and she has great family-friendly recipes!
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a 14 month old daughter who eats everything except seafood and nuts. I will usually take my portion out first for dinner then add the stir fry sauce or cheese or whatever my husband and daughter like to eat. then I'm not making two meals. Or I'll make pizza for everyone but mine will be veggie with low fat cheese or bbq chicken and low fat cheese and their's will be ham and pineapple and extra cheese. If they're having tacos or fajitas or nachos I just make mine into a big salad with some of the meat and a little salsa and low fat sour cream and low fat cheese. It seems to be working so far for me.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and make two meals.

I find that with a lot of my mom friends, this is just an excuse to not keep themselves accountable. You're not making two separate meals from scratch......you can be in the kitchen and prepare several things at once, it's not hard.

I have three kids, ages 13, 8, and 4. I make them pasta with a side salad, and I just eat a huge salad. Last night we had tacos and I had mostly chicken and avo in mine, they had beans and cheese. And sometimes, we are all eating different things. Or sometimes me and my oldest eat one thing and the little guys eat something else.
  • erinekball
    erinekball Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Here are the best ideas I've pulled from your comments:

1. Pre-portion my food from what I've cooked for the whole family. Cuts down on my temptation to "eye-ball" in my favor and reinforces the message that we enjoy (the same) meal as a family.

2. Adjust the focus of the meal on my plate: for example, turn the protein we are all eating into a salad topping. We're having tacos? I'll have taco salad. Continues the "we're all eating the same thing" theme while allowing me the freedom to lighten my meal a little.

3. I also appreciate your suggestions allowing kids another choice (within defined limits) if they don't fill up on our shared meal (the yogurt, cheese, fruit idea). This is just practical and ensures that no one is going to bed hungry. It also stops the demands that I become a short order cook after already having prepared one meal.

Thanks again - this was my first query post, and I loved receiving all of your ideas!
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    We eat the same things in my house, just different portion sizes based upon each of our needs.