Lower Back Pain "HELP"

Options
I was going along so good losing weight, going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week, eating better. Then all of the sudden my lower back starts to hurt the day after I excercise, not during but after. So I took a 2 day break from the gym, went back the next day after the work out! It is back again.

I don't want to stop excercising, but it really hurts. Anyone have any suggestions???? Desperate please help!

Replies

• jend2679
    jend2679 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough to help you with your back pain, I wish I did. I do know that I've always been told that for every muscle worked you have to work the counter muscle. So if you are do a lot of plank and crunches you may need to increase what you are doing to strengthen your upper and lower back. Of course you need to be sure its just an imbalanced muscle and not an injury first! I too am seeking pain advise. I've been interval running/walking for a few months and have recently increased to mostly running but I'm having a lot of knee pain. I also zumba, 20/20/20, half calf, kickboxing, and cardio bootcamp. I started taking glucosamine about a week ago, as adivised by a nurse. I am going to get new shoes soon(as advised) but I've read that increasing your core and glute strength will also help. I know tons of moves for these muscles but wonder which ones are really the most effective. Any favorites??
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but if I don't stretch me hamstrings well after my workout my back hurts. I'm told it'd because when the hamstrings get tight, especially after abs, legs and cardio it pulls on the pelvic bone and rotates it out of alignment. This puts pressure on the L4 and L5 lumbar.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but if I don't stretch me hamstrings well after my workout my back hurts. I'm told it'd because when the hamstrings get tight, especially after abs, legs and cardio it pulls on the pelvic bone and rotates it out of alignment. This puts pressure on the L4 and L5 lumbar.

Thanks! I have been waking up a couple times a week here lately and I actually have to have my kids bend my legs cause my back is locked up and I can't move. Once I get my legs bent and I curl in a ball... I can move around again just fine. Imma stretch more now!
  • Tiffikat
    Options
    I have lower back issues so after I exercise I have my husband help me apply Tiger Balm before bed. The next day it feels fine.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    TWO WORDS........ tempurpedic bed
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

So true! I've got disc degeneration of my L4 and L5 and one thing the physio told me to work on was my hamstrings as they were really tight. With lower back pain it can so often just be down to posture, OP try and think about your posture the while time you work out and make sure your lower back is supported correctly at all times. If your back still hurts doing that I'd see a Dr. But strengthening your core is the best way to prevent low back pain, well it has been for me!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch. Something that is commonly and easily over looked but is very important to your over all health is stretching.

You should be stretching out your entire body each morning. Give yourself the time to be thorough and hit all the muscle groups. Your body is this great self correcting machine and when you stretch it out you are giving it the chance to enact these corrections.

I get lower back pain, and it is no surprise to me because I am way overweight. My body is out of balance and in order to maintain the status quo and keep things from worsening pain wise to the point where I cannot exercise, I have to stretch. I do a complete stretch in the morning, at some point in the middle of the day I will do quick easy discrete stretches to target specific areas and at night before bed I will go through and get a complete stretch out again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've heard the thing about tight hamstrings and a sore lower back. That said, if this persists, please see a doctor! No one here can really diagnose your issue based on your description!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Have you been using the treadmill?

For some time and still now to some degree I get lower back pain from impact.
    Sorted out, went back to the gym and did running on the treadmill and I worked it out.

Now make sure I'm careful when off-road motorbiking and mountain biking.

Seem to be able to run ok now - generally fitter I think as well as being careful not to push it too much.

Tried all sorts of things (stretching, specific back exercises etc), but just being careful and general fitness seems to have been the only thing to sort it.
  • jlplove
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Yes I do streching after my workouts, but I suppose I should try it before as well. I will take the hamstring adivce and see if that helps.

One problem is my bed. Its very mushy, unfortunately can't afford a tempurpedic right now. Anyone know where I can get a free one? LOL!

I do the treadmill and the Elpitical machine for my workouts, I thought they were both pretty low impact. Guess I will head back to the gym tonight, and try to take it a little more easier.

Wish me luck! :smile:
  • UG77
    Options
    One problem is my bed. Its very mushy, unfortunately can't afford a tempurpedic right now. Anyone know where I can get a free one? LOL!

Go to the hardware store and get a sheet of plywood. Put this between your mattress and your boxspring. This is a good way to stiffen up an aging beg.
  • jlplove
    Options

Go to the hardware store and get a sheet of plywood. Put this between your mattress and your boxspring. This is a good way to stiffen up an aging beg.

Yeah my dad said that to. Guess I better get on that this weekend. Oh, and I love your Weight Loss ticker picture! To cute!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I injured my back last September working out. I rested it a few days, then went back to working out. Long story short, I made it worse and now. 12 months, 4 thousand dollars in deductibles, I am on my third injection into my back and having another MRI tomorrow morning. Back issues are very serious and you should see a dr. There is no way to tell what you have done.
  • UG77
    Options
    Thanks. I had to crop it so you cannot see where it says "You has been HEALED by the power of JEEEEZUS". It makes me laugh everytime I look at it which is helpful when I'm at work.
  • jlplove
    Options
    I injured my back last September working out. I rested it a few days, then went back to working out. Long story short, I made it worse and now. 12 months, 4 thousand dollars in deductibles, I am on my third injection into my back and having another MRI tomorrow morning. Back issues are very serious and you should see a dr. There is no way to tell what you have done.

Ouch! Not good.... I will give it a week, then head to the doctor if it is still hurting.

If you dont mind me asking, is there any excersing you are doing now? Or are you banned from it?
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was going strong in my exercise too,then had severe flare up of back pain from 2 previously herniated discs. The doctor told me to lay off all the abdominal crunches and heavy lifting.To stretch in am and evening and try lower impact YOGA/pilates until I healed. I was still able to use treadmill,just did at a different pace til I got better.Biofreeze helps tremendously if you find it where you live.Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • jlplove
    Options
    Thanks. I had to crop it so you cannot see where it says "You has been HEALED by the power of JEEEEZUS". It makes me laugh everytime I look at it which is helpful when I'm at work.

Ha! I love it! Can't have too many smiles while you work!
  • jlplove
    Options
    I was going strong in my exercise too,then had severe flare up of back pain from 2 previously herniated discs. The doctor told me to lay off all the abdominal crunches and heavy lifting.To stretch in am and evening and try lower impact YOGA/pilates until I healed. I was still able to use treadmill,just did at a different pace til I got better.Biofreeze helps tremendously if you find it where you live.Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Bio Freeze???? What's that?
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had a major lower back issue a few months ago, so I feel ya. Work on strengthening your core and focus on tightening your abs with everything you do -- even elliptical. Your abs will help support your back. Oh. And ibuprofen. :ohwell:
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got mine from my chiropractor,but I think you can order it online.It's a roll on natural pain reliever.Oh, Advil liquid gels helped alot too.