new to myfitnesspal

Options
Hi, I am new to myfitnesspal. I started two weeks ago. I have tried numerous diets since May and so far nothing has stuck. Im not going to lie, I am getting really discouraged. Since May I have lost 14lbs total but recently i havent been able to lose it. I have some support from family, but there are others who just dont get it. I'm not sure if you have any tips/pointers words of encouragment but i could use the help.

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Welcome to My Fitness Pal! This is a great system with some terrific tools that you'll need to lose weight and stay accountable to yourself. But, the change has to start with you. More than wanting to lose weight (frankly, who doesn't want to lose weight?) you have to be at the point where you are ready to make the commitment to yourself to change the underlying eating and exercise habits that put the weight on in the first place. The point where the negatives of being overweight outweigh the sacrifices you will have to make to shed the pounds. And keep them off once you lose the weight! Many people never get to that point. They fundamentally don't want to change. Only you can decide if you are ready.

I'm bringing this up because the first line in your profile page says: "Im 24, I have tried many diets and I do well for awhile but then I go back to old habits". It's understandable and very common, but THAT'S what you need to change.
  • angbunny22
    Options
    MFP isn't just a weight loss place, this is a total lifestyle change. I came on mostly to encourage my family and friends and have learned more about my own life and body to become a healthier happier me! My bff has lost more than 30 lbs since i introduced her to MFP and I am so proud of her and her whole family! I watch what I intake and my exercise daily and can see results! you can too! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Lots of support is key to keeping your head going in the right direction. Send me a friend request if you'd like.

I'm not a supporter of cheat days, mostly because of my personality....I just keep driving on, and note my success on once-a-week weigh in days.

It's hard. It's NOT for sissy's. If you're ready, you can do it. Believe in yourself, don't worry about the family, they'll see the real you when they're ready!
  • DJRicDoc
    Options
    Hey there, I'm new here and in need of discipline! I think we've all been where I'm at...we've had ups and downs, we noticed bellies grow and shrink...we've jumped onto a new fitness plan and then fell into the well of excuses that curbs us off...we've zoombad, we've spun, we've teebo'd and jogged and we've all lost interest only to pick it up again for a few short months, or worse weeks, or worse, for just one blissful fall day running down the Schuylkill. I watched this movie...Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I was enthralled...that was four months ago...I bought a juicer and I juiced...for a week. But now I'm committing myself to really changing, to being healthy, not just getting healthy. So jump aboard, help me and I'll help you...let's drop the complacency people!

E
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Welcome to My Fitness Pal! This is a great system with some terrific tools that you'll need to lose weight and stay accountable to yourself. But, the change has to start with you. More than wanting to lose weight (frankly, who doesn't want to lose weight?) you have to be at the point where you are ready to make the commitment to yourself to change the underlying eating and exercise habits that put the weight on in the first place. The point where the negatives of being overweight outweigh the sacrifices you will have to make to shed the pounds. And keep them off once you lose the weight! Many people never get to that point. They fundamentally don't want to change. Only you can decide if you are ready.

I'm bringing this up because the first line in your profile page says: "Im 24, I have tried many diets and I do well for awhile but then I go back to old habits". It's understandable and very common, but THAT'S what you need to change.

^^ agreed, 100%!

Only if you want to change more than you want to eat Chocolate Souflé (or double portions of lasagna, in my case...), you'll be able to achieve your goals.

I've fallen off the ladder many times too, so if you want some support, add me as a friend.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have only been on MFP for 2 1/2 weeks and have enjoyed it and found it helpful. I have been on my diet (South Beach since August 20). I have gained and lost MANY times ocpver the course of my life,,,,,and it's SO much easier to put weight on than to take it off! I have decided this has to be a real lifestyle change for me, not just a diet. I want to lose the weight and keep it off this time! I HOPE I can stick to it. I am 49 and don't want to turn 50 being fat, tired and miserable! Feel free to add me as a friend, if you like:)
  • aksdjh2011
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I know this is a lifesyle change and I know it begins with me. I have never been as driven to lose the weight as I am now. I just need to learn to not get discouraged, and do my best.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    Im a newby as well. Welcome.
  • klpcmt
    Options
    I just joined today. I run the loop...highly motivated, falling off a bit and then complete disregard. Then I'm mad at myself for not following through. I AM COMMITTED NOW! I need support and motivation. My long-term goal is 100 lbs, but my immediate goal is 15 lbs hopefully within 2 months. I want to be reasonable in my goal, but not set it so low that there isn't any effort either.