Getting Discouraged!

Options
Hey guys,

I'm new to MyFitness and this week I have started working out and everything. I go over my calorie count but then a exercise those excessive calories off!!! And I exercise a lot!!! I'm melting when I'm finished working out but it seems like I am not losing weight. :sad: It's getting me very discouraged.:grumble:

Do you guys have some tips or advice as to what I should do?

Thanks a ton! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I'm only posting this because I'm doing this weight loss with a friend and she has already lost 5lb! She does weight more than me, I am 182 and she is now 220 but still...

Replies

• anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    What did you expect to lose in just a few days? It takes a consistent effort over time to lose body fat.
    If you're exercising when you were doing nothing before, then it could be you are building muscle or you are retaining water in your muscles to help them through the work you are putting them through. There are lots of reasons why the scale doesn't budge so it's better psychologically if you use other parameters as well, such as the fit of your clothes, or measurements. Remember it takes a calorie deficit of 3,500 to burn a pound of excess fat. And it takes a few days to add those up. Be patient with yourself and keep moving forward.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and take your measurements now! If you're exercising as you say, I'm guessing fat is being morphed into muscle. You may not lose lbs, but you may be losing inches. A lb of muscle is much denser - hence smaller - than a lb of fat. So take those measurements and see where you are in a week or so. Don't be discouraged - this will take time, but you'll get there. And, each and every day you're getting healthier. And, that's what this is all about, right?
  • Bigwein5
    Options
    Be patient and set realistic weight loss goals in the beginnig, therefore minimizing your caloric intake. Once you get started and see results, adjust your profile for additional weight loss. It will happened if you stay determined and stay within the guidelines.
  • ktweld
    ktweld Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm new too and have been surfing the forums and food diaries to learn some good tips, etc. and one thing is that you should not weigh too often - once a week or every two weeks because it does take a little while to see a difference. Another thing is that you may gain "muscle" but during that time, you will probably lose inches so record those numbers too. This is very new to me so I hope I can stay motiviated also. Good Luck!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    this week I have started working out and everything. I go over my calorie count but then a exercise those excessive calories off!!! And I exercise a lot!!! I'm melting when I'm finished working out but it seems like I am not losing weight. :sad: It's getting me very discouraged.:grumble:

My advice? Wait longer than a week. Wait longer than a month. Freaking out after a week means that you're not ready for what you have to do to lose weight. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's been a week. Anyone actually determined to lose weight would not be discouraged after a week.

But anyways, keep at what you're doing. Try to stay in your calories BEFORE you exercise, then eat back a small percentage of that.
  • PHYLLISALEXIS
    PHYLLISALEXIS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. You may be losing inches. Try some mesaurements
  • sadein
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'm new to MyFitness and this week I have started working out and everything. I go over my calorie count but then a exercise those excessive calories off!!! And I exercise a lot!!! I'm melting when I'm finished working out but it seems like I am not losing weight. :sad: It's getting me very discouraged.:grumble:

Thanks a ton! :flowerforyou:
    You go girl! You've taken the first step which is the hardest. I'm a firm believer in "cheating" once in a while, it keeps us from feeling deprived. I also don't believe in punishing myself for being "bad", I just go back to eating properly the next day. I don't exercise to burn off excess calories and I don't eat the extra calories I earn from exercise. I just live day to day and stick to a routine. It's when I get out of my routine that the weight starts creeping up.
  • strela32
    Options
    It takes time. Do not weight yourself everyday. We should have fluctuations from day to day. Weight in once a week, on the same day of the week. The best time is in the morning, without clothes on, after using the bathroom. Or wear the same exactly clothes every time. It makes a difference.

Work out in the morning is more efficient, since boosts your metabolism since the beginning of the day. Do cardio. Look at the database we have available here on myfitnesspal under exercises, because it's pretty accurate, so you have an idea of what to expect.

You don't lose weight in two days! have realistic goals.

If you are losing 1 to 2 pounds a week still pretty good. You get there. The important is to maintain and keep it off. Also, the closer you are to your goal, the hardest is to lose, because you don't have a lot of fat anymore to melt off of you. If you already fit, is harder too. But you still can do.

Do not eat red meat. You lose much faster eating chicken. Lower your carbs and sugar, and try consuming lean protein. Do not eat out! If you want to lose weight faster, this is a big "no".

Do everything with moderation, if you can't contain yourself, give yourself one cheat day a week, but please, do not binge! Or you doing everything for nothing. Just give yourself a nice dinner or one nice meal with dessert that day. But keep in mind, that means a bit of setback, but for a lot of people this works, because, they look forward to that cheat day, and keep them straight on their diets, because they know they will have a reward later.

Stella
  • superstarbaby16
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I feel much better knowing that it's normal not to lose weight during the first week. I was told you lost water weight and I'm very serious about losing this weight! I want to become healthier and not get tired when I go up the stairs :blushing:

You guys are amazing! :happy: thanks for being so supportive!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The weight will come off eventually. Don't think about it to much, just keep staying in your exercise routine and staying within your calorie goals. If you constantly worry about it, you'll end up weighing yourself one day and freaking about a gained pound that (usually) means absolutely nothing. Stay at it. :tongue: