CHEESE

Options
Sharp cheddar cheese is my favorite food in the world. I would have it at every meal if I could. (But I don't.) I don't like having just a little at a time. If I put only 1oz on my sandwich, it feels wasted and I get frustrated that I couldn't enjoy it properly.

I've been told that I eat too much cheese. But if I stick to my calorie limit, what would be wrong with having 2-3oz of cheese a day? How many ounces of cheese is ok?

Replies

• kimberlygo
    Options
    That sound be totally fine as long as you stick within your fat/calorie, etc. Non processed cheese is good for you... calcium, etc. So, I say go for it. I am a Parmesan girl, myself and live right down the street from a gourmet cheese shop. It's torture.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    A serving of dairy is 1 oz of cheese. So I see no probelm with 2-3 servings if you are staying with in your calorie count. They recommend at least three servings of dairy per day.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing! And I totally agree, it takes about an oz of sliced cheese to cover a sandwich...

But now I get blocks of Ralph's or Vons generic sharp cheddar and grate them myself (saves $$ and I think it tastes better), and I've found that .5 oz of coarsely grated sharp cheddar is enough for a regular sized sandwich.
  • MaggieMay610
    Options
    Try the Laughing Cow light cheese-- 35 cal/ wedge and it is TO DIE FOR! I love cheese-- and have found this is absolutely perfect! I have in garlic herb and french onion. So good! :)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love cheese too, but to me it's not worth the calories. I could easily eat 3 ounces, but would be hungry a short time later.

If i'm gonna eat 300 calories, i'd prefer it be something more substantial.
  • karadirosa
    karadirosa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm with MaggieMay. Laughing Cow light cheese has been a god send while on this diet plan. 1 wedge is more than enough to cover a sandwich/sandwich thin. I put it on toast, as well as my Boca burgers, tofurkey sandwiches, etc. With on 35 cals per wedge and 1 fat gram you can't beat it.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Sharp cheddar is the BESTEST!!!!
    I love cheese, all kinds of cheese but sharp is my favorite and that is what I use when I make baked mac n cheese...oh stop it! I should have never read this post. haha!
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Is sharp cheddar the same thing as old cheddar? Excuse my ignorance... I don't master all the English expressions yet :embarassed:
    I LOVE cheese too :) I think Parmesan (grated from a block; not the powder stuff) is great; Only 25 cal for 1tbsp and a lot of taste. Thanks for reminding me about laughing cow: I like to eat it with celery.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I really like the Laughing Cow cheeses but, for me, there is no way it could ever replace sharp cheddar!:laugh: I do try to have only a serving of it a day, though.