Help! Running Burnout from Half-Marathon Training

Options
Hi friends. I've been training for a half-marathon in November for the last few months. I'm to the point where I'm just so OVER running. I want to do other things: weight lift, pilates, yoga - but my time is consumed by running. After my runs, I don't want to do anything else. I know that the half's not that far away, and that I need to keep training, but I feel like I'm dragging. Any advice to try to avoid this burnout??

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's important to give your legs a rest, and a great opportunity to include different types of exercises to your routine. And as they say, variety is the spice of life. Good luck to you on your half-marathon.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's important to give your legs a rest, and a great opportunity to include different types of exercises to your routine. And as they say, variety is the spice of life. Good luck to you on your half-marathon.

While you're right, the flip side is that she's training for a major effort a little over a month. If you're running just to run, it's one thing to stop and try something else for a while. When you're training for a major distance like a half or a full, you need to keep running so that you don't set back your progress.

That said missxlaur, you probably don't need to do a full 4 or 5 days a week of running every week leading up to your race. Try reducing your runs to three times a week and crosstrain two days a week to get a little "spice". Don't skimp on your long run; that's where you're building the lion's share of your endurance, but a long run and two middle distance runs should keep you in the game enough to get you through. Then you can do something else a couple days a week. Once you've completed your half, you can reevaluate your goals ans decide whether to make running such a central part of your routine.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    Thanks for both of your opinions. Right now I'm running 4 days a week, two shorter distance (3 miles), one longer (5 miles), and one long (10+ miles). I think I'm just going to have to suck it up for a month or two - or maybe add in some weights on 3 mile days. I'm just over it! Blah.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Take a week off and do some cross training if you think it won't interfere with your half prep. Good luck on your run!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 22 miler this Saturday, a full marathon in mid-October and the NYC marathon in November. Currently only running twice a week, a 9 mile run on Wednesday and a long run on Saturday. But as I was saying, rest is an important part of my training and it gives me an opportunity to do other things, such as strength training at the gym.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My half marathon training involved stuff other than running and I feel like it helped keep me engaged as well as helped my overall running and pacing. I used a slightly modifed

My schedule looked like this:
    Sunday – Long run day, increased by one mile each week
    Monday – Strength, upper and lower body, three sets of each exercise, about an hour total
    Tuesday – Mid-length run 4-6 miles
    Wednesday – alternated between speed training and hill training, usually about 30 minutes
    Thursday – Strength (same workout as Monday) and a 3 mile run
    Friday – Rest day
    Saturday – Cross cardio, any cardio workout that wasn’t running, 45-60 minutes
  • Crysti
    Options
    Hey! I'm a little late to reply, but I just wanted to commiserate and ENCOURAGE you! I'm training for a marathon in December and just did my first half two weeks ago. It as awesome!!! My training wasn't perfect. I had a friend visit in August and that completely threw my schedule, and, no, hiking is not a substitute for the sustained exertion of an endurance event. And I finished the half almost 6 minutes faster than I expected. An off week or two won't blow your goals.

I signed up for a series of "marathon readiness" races. They keep me accountable, switch up my running routine, show me new routes, and connect me other runners who can give me tips on everything from gear to treating chafing (Ultra Balm from Lush is good.) I also use mapmyrun.com to find and make new routes. Sometimes I feel silly driving somewhere to run, but it's nice to switch it up and explore new places. I reward myself for some of the longer races with new running clothes... which I recommend debuting on your shorter runs, lest they have a coarse seam or ride or slide awkwardly (I stared at some poor girl's buttcrack for way to long as she struggled to keep her shorts up on a 15k... some things you just can't look away from.)

Add the yoga in. And a foam roller. My muscles need lots more stretching and massaging than they ever have!

Good luck! You got this!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I get a little burned out I remember this quote from Galloway: "The long run is your marathon training" If it's good enough for a marathon it's good enough for a half. I just ran my first marathon and sometimes I would trade my shorter run for cycling or yoga or some other cross train excercise. Sometimes I would just do abs or rest. I finished my marathon with a sprint to the finish. You could suck it up and complete every little mile, but it won't ruin your training to do something else every once in a while.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    - or maybe add in some weights on 3 mile days.

I did this on my short run days directly after my run!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I run three days a week during my half training. The other days I strength train, play soccer, and go to spin class.
    If you feel you must run more than three days per week, you could consider doing your other activities (weights, yoga, etc) prior to a shorter run. Or if your schedule permits, do an am session and a pm session.
    You've got plenty of time before November. You might consider taking an entire week off from running. Shouldn't impede your progress. You might feel refreshed after a week of. Or it might give you an opportunity to reshape your training schedule.
  • jolivier43
    Options
    Take a week off from running, you wont loose any of your fitness. I have done this countless times during training sessions. You will feel so much stronger on your first run back AND your body will thank you for it. Typically in a 16 week running regime I will take week 9 or 10 off and do absolutely nothing. My long runs are on Sundays and I will not run again till the following Sunday at which point I jump right in to a long run again.