Working out while sick?

Options
I've been trying to push through with this recent cold/flu, but I just have NO energy and feel like crap anyhow, so this week I've only worked out about half as much as I'd like to. Do you take time off when your sick or just push through?

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I take time off. My body is already fighting hard enough, dealing with virus/infection, so the last thing I want to do is overtax it. It's important to get lots of fluid, good nutrition, and rest. I figure one week won't hurt anything, especially if it means I'll get better quicker.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Depends. If Im puking or um otherwise or can't breathe I take a break. If its just a minor cold I suck it up. I also took a week off last week when I caugh a virus that gave me such bad fatigue and swollen glands my doctor first thought I had mono.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I take days off so that I get better quicker.
  • anitac0126
    anitac0126 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was sick with a stomach virus Sunday and Monday and took off til today. It's tough to take the time off, but don't forget, 80% of this is diet...only 20% is working out. Take the time off, let your body heal and feed it nutritiously! :):)
  • Santosha21
    Santosha21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb for working out while sick, if it's just a head cold, go ahead. If it's chest/respiratory, rest the body. Take extra vitamin C, lots of fluids :)
  • rnjive
    Options
    I let my body tell me. I usually do lighter workouts
  • sadein
    Options
    When I was young, I always tried to workout when I was sick. Now that I'm older and I hope wiser, I've discovered that my recovery time is less if I listen to my body and rest. Most viruses run their course in 7 days, after about 3 you usually feel good enough to do light workouts.
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions. Last week I had a head cold and pushed though. Caught another something this week, but between working 12+hour days and feeling like I got hit by a truck, think I'm gonna let this week go and get back onto my normally scheduled workouts once I get some strength back.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I decided to rest today because my neck was hurting. I just ended up ice and resting. this evening I was feeling better but decided not to push my luck tommorow will be a better day.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should listen to your body. The important thing is to get back to it when you're feeling better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I just happened on this question elsewhere and this was the answer from Jillian Michaels:

The rule of thumb for exercising while sick is called the above/below-the-neck rule. If your symptoms appear above the neck (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat), then yes, you can continue with a low-intensity workout. Studies have shown that exercising at a moderate-intensity level does not intensify cold symptoms or compromise the immune system. Avoid high-intensity exercise, such as heavy weight lifting and high-intensity aerobic training, which has been shown to have a negative impact on the immune system during a cold or any respiratory infection.

If your symptoms are below the neck (diarrhea, intense coughing, vomiting, fever), then the American College of Sports Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest you let your illness run its course before resuming physical activity.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just got over a head cold. I did not have the energy to get out of bed let alone work out. I took off a few days to focus on getting better. Once I started feeling better I started exercise again.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I got the flu 2 weeks ago, then that turned into bronchitis, still getting over it, I havnt worked out at all, I tried to workout a cpl nights ago but got so fatigued and out of breath that it only lasted about 5 minutes, so, I'm just going to wait until its completely gone!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body, but it's acutally proven by doctors that working out with a cold is perfectly fine. Whenever I'm sick, a good sweat always makes me feel better :)
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I take time off myself, even with a mild cold. My body needs the rest, and if one gets some extra rest right at the very beginning of a cold, sometimes it might be enough to ward it off, or lessen the severity anyway. With the flu, stomach bug/food poisoning, definitely don't work out - you won't be able to anyway. Even in the days after, one is still recovering. Post-flu fatigue, or even that from a bad cold is very real - take it slow going back. Same with the stomach situation - your body will tell you when it's OK to start up again.
    Over on another fitness board that I'm on, there are a lot of young women, and the question about working out while sick is distressingly common. A lot of them seem to think that they should push through even if they have the flu, can you imagine, or the day after a stomach bug or food poisoning. No go! But I think a lot of them have such anxiety about their bodies that they're afraid they'll undo all their good work by taking a few days off from working out.