Suggestions on protein shakes/smoothies

Options
I am in need of suggestions for protein shakes and or smoothies. I am doing Insanity but can not afford Shakeology.

Replies

• hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Make your own, get some protein powder and almond milk to mix together. If you are wanting smoothies just look up some recipes on-line and find which ones you like best. You don't have to spend a ton of money on all these new fangled systems, your local grocery store should have everything you need.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Vanilla protein powder, half frozen banana, tablspoon of all natural peanut butter. Lots of ice and water, blend and it's delicious!! Go to BJ's or shop around to buy it in bulk and buy vanilla and chocolate and experiment. Good luck!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat the same shake every morning:

1/2 large banana
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    4-5 ice cubes

It's around 390 calories and 45 grams of protein. If you're looking for something lower cal, leave out the peanut butter and it will be 295cal/41g
  • TriPixie
    Options
    Don't worry about not being able to afford Shakeology...I'm not a fan of all that powdered nutrition anyhow. A good smoothie in the morning will make you feel so great and can be made from REAL stuff!

Here's a link to a versatile and delicious recipe: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/the-perfect-smoothie-formula/
  • scnix
    scnix Posts: 11
    Options
    I just made a smoothie yesterday that had vanilla protein powder, almond milk, greek yogurt, a 1/2 fozen banana, and 1/2 strawberries, it was 399 calories, but it made a huge smoothie.

I also make a green smoothies with 3 cups spinich, almond milk, greek yogurt, a teaspoon PB, protein powder (sometimes 1/2 scoop) , and 1/2 frozen banana. It might sound gross but it is delish, all you can taste is the PB or maybe the banana.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like using maxitone definity toning shakes, good for protein etc, I add a splash of milk and a tbsp of fat free Greek yogurt to mine and it tastes lovely!
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options

1/2 large banana
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    4-5 ice cubes

It's around 390 calories and 45 grams of protein. If you're looking for something lower cal, leave out the peanut butter and it will be 295cal/41g

I can't stand any of the powders as they taste chalky or malty to me. I do something like this above but I replace the peanut butter and the protein powder with PB2 (Powdered peanut butter)

So
    1/2 banana
    1/2 - 1 c milk
    1/2 c greek yogurt
    2 - 4 T PB2
    1/2 t - 1 T vanilla
    pinch of stevia

This is also good with some cocoa added (I use unsweetened dark cocoa and a smidge more stevia!)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    buy whatever protein powder you CAN afford. If you're in the U.S. Walmart has some pretty decent prices, alternatively if you shoot me an email I'll make some suggestions (I buy all of my stuff online) and give you a coupon. :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the EAS AdvantEdge Carb control drinks. They are 100-110 cals 17g protein and 2-3g fat. They don't have the thick, milky consistency that many of the other ones have and they really taste great all by themselves. I discovered if I put 1 cup of frozen strawberries with one 11 oz strawberry flavored drink into my Ninja blender, I end up with a large cup of amazing, that looks and tastes just like strawberry frozen yogurt. If you want it sweeter, you can add a pkg of truvia or splenda. If you want it more liquid, either use fresh strawberries instead of frozen, or you can add some unsweetened Almond milk. Play around with other frozen fruits in the vanilla flavor drink. Frozen bananas are great too, altho they don't come out with the ice cream consistency, more like a milkshake.

This definitely takes care of any ice cream cravings I may have.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The chocolate EAS drinks taste like YooHoo drinks!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

1/2 large banana
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    4-5 ice cubes

think this would still be good without the yogurt? I never have yogurt on hand when i make them lol
  • ladyboss650
    ladyboss650 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use 1 1/2 cups of Lite Silk Soy Milk (Vanilla Flavored or Chocolate), 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup of blueberries! Sometimes I add a tbsp of Chia seeds if I need some extra bulk.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The body protein and the whey protein are amazing. I highly recommend these products. http://www.unikeyhealth.com/product/fat_flush_body_protein/smoothie_shakedown

If you get the body protein mix, blend it a bit longer because it's really gritty if you don't. The chocolate whey protein is SO GOOD. I usually mix a little water, cranberry juice, the powder, some flax seeds, and frozen fruit. If I want it thicker, I add ice cubes. Sometimes I make it with almond milk. Sooooooooooo good. Worth every penny.
  • Robin66NJ
    Robin66NJ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ndbex wrote: »
    The body protein and the whey protein are amazing. I highly recommend these products. http://www.unikeyhealth.com/product/fat_flush_body_protein/smoothie_shakedown

If you get the body protein mix, blend it a bit longer because it's really gritty if you don't. The chocolate whey protein is SO GOOD. I usually mix a little water, cranberry juice, the powder, some flax seeds, and frozen fruit. If I want it thicker, I add ice cubes. Sometimes I make it with almond milk. Sooooooooooo good. Worth every penny.

I know these are old posts, I just read this and wanted to agree. I use the unikey body protein for my morning breakfast smoothie and have experimented with different frozen fruit and found it to be really good. The owner of the gym I go to is pushing Shakeology and it is out of my budget. The vegan Shakeology also contains Agave whereas the Unikey contains Stevia. While I wouldn't have minded trying the Shakeology vegan protein if it were much less expensive, I've read and been told that Agave is as bad for you as high fructose corn syrup so that one ingredient reinforces my decision to not use Shakeolgy.