Got new BMR, what now?

Options
I started MFP a couple of months ago. Have not got a lot to lose. In fact I now have between 7lb (ok with that) or 14 lb (ideal). I started at 1200 calories net per day but having stalled I have recalculated my BMR using the Fat2Fit calculator with my current weight and my ideal goal weight and its come up at 1327. I had changed my net up to 1350 at the beginning of this week. I have also had TDEE given as 1956, but I am unsure as to exactly how I should work out how many calories I should net per day in order to continue losing till I get to my goal.. Is 1350 too few as my BMR is 1327. SHould I really be going up to around 1450 as that is 500 less than the 1956 (give or take a crumb or two). Have looked at all the different blogs/sites etc but still a little confused. You will see that my diary is open so if you want to look at that to gain more info feel free. I am open to all replies and will read and weigh up (no pun intended) all advice.

Replies

• jamface11
    Options
    With only around 10lbs to lose you could probably benefit from only trying to lose 1/2lbs per week, making sure your diet consists of clean foods and high protein. That last 10lbs is always the hardest to lose, and it may be frustrating to lose so little, but spend time lifting heavy to try build some muscle which will make you look nicer at goal weight. I would recommend eating about 1700calories and not eating back exercise calories as this is already factored in. Try this for a few weeks (in which you may see a slight gain) and then if its not working think about lowering by 100calories until you find what is. Sometimes upping your calories can kick start your metabolism, and eating this amount will mean a smoother, easier transition into maintenance.

Good luck, hope things get moving again :)

I changed my macros to try reach 100g of protein a day (1g per lbs of lean mass), although I must say I have a very difficult time getting there :P
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I hope that you get some help here, Sue. After all that I have read and research I am definitly upping my calories a little bit. You will get this figured out so just hang in there!!
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From Dan's Roadmap:
    "For Morbidly Obese you can go as low as 30% below TDEE but beware the hormonal drops and if you plateau you'll need to come back up to TDEE for a few days.
    I recommend 20% below TDEE.
    If after 2 weeks the inches arent coming off then reassess your activity level and try a lower/higher setting."

You are not morbidly obese, so I would suggest using your 1,956 TDEE at 80%, giving you 1,564...and don't eat calories back. (and cut yourself some slack, stay between 1,450 and 1,650).

Since you are so close to goal, it is going to be hard to lose the last little bit...be patient, be healthy!
  • SueGlazier
    SueGlazier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

Great advice from both of you.

Skyeliz, I was contemplating increasing to 1450 after I went offline yesterday evening and your reply has reaffirmed that decision. You are right, I have to be patient now although that is very hard when you are sooooo close to your goal. I am stubborn, I quit the cigs 6 months ago with shear determination and knowledge and being stubborn so if I can break the nicotine addiction then talking myself into being patient should not be too hard (I hope). At least it will be less stressful not having to log and half guess how much I burn with my physical job which burns more earlier in the week than later and practically nothing weekends, and giving myself some slack in the calrie range will reduce guilt I feel if I fancy a little treat and stop me worrying if I dont feel the need to eat as much some days.