Eating back cals from exercise

Options
Hiii I'm eating 1200 a day I just about make the mark, I know your meant to eat back what you have burnt and iv learnt that it dose not matter what time of day you eat as long as you keep you calories down! Dose this mean if I burn a lot of calories in the day I can treat myself and have a pig out not lodes of bad foods but a nice big tea and a desert maybe? And a nice fizzy drink or strawberry cider *mouthswatering* would appreciate the help xx

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Click Community>search>type "Eating back calories" or just read the stickies.

End thread
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau for 5 months and broke through it by custom setting my net calorie goal to 1,000 calories and always eating back every calorie exercised. Somedays I eat around 1300 calories and sometimes way over 2000 calories based on how much I exercise. I wear a BodyBugg device which tells me how much I burn when exercising. This I found keeps me at my leanest. I'm at 159 lbs being 5'10" medium to large frame. My unhealthy high weight was 248 lbs. My target goal is to maintain +/- 3 lbs around 155.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hiii I'm eating 1200 a day I just about make the mark, I know your meant to eat back what you have burnt and iv learnt that it dose not matter what time of day you eat as long as you keep you calories down! Dose this mean if I burn a lot of calories in the day I can treat myself and have a pig out not lodes of bad foods but a nice big tea and a desert maybe? And a nice fizzy drink or strawberry cider *mouthswatering* would appreciate the help xx

I burn all my calories during the day and eat a light breakfast and lunch so I can enjoy a bigger dinner with my fiance (watching him eat beef stroganoff is not fun if I'm eating salad). I've had monster meals of 1000+ calories for dinner and still lost weight. I kinda follow the "don't eat an hour before bed" rule because if I don't let myself digest a bit I feel funny in the morning. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Simple answer- yep.:happy:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

lmao
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    lPm3a.jpg
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you burn a lot of calories yes you should eat at least half of them back. You have to test it out as to how it will work for you. I don't eat mine back because most of the time I'm only burning an extra 59 but on some days I burn 141 and sometimes I dip into them. If I were to burn 300 or more yep I would eat at least half of that back
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.
    ^this.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can treat yourself.

Your diet should be enjoyable, otherwise it won't be sustainable. Learn how to balance the foods you want/enjoy with foods that work with your macros. That is one of the most important things to long term success.