Heart rate while jogging

Options
Ive been doing the c25k program. Currently on week 4. I recently got a HRM and I am wondering if there is a point where my heart rate could be considered too high? I am 35 years old and weigh aprox 219.
Thanks!

Replies

• rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Anyone still up? :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate gets too high, you'll feel it. You'll likely feel faint and just yucky. My supposed max HR, using the formulas, is about 183. My actual max HR is about 202ish. When I get to 200, I can tell and I need to slow down! It's only gotten that high during hot days running though. But up to the low 190s, I'm still good.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I checked a couple different sites and one said your maximum heart rate should be about 185, the other one said your target heart rate "zone" should be between 130 and 157. Personally, I think they're both crap, cause my heart rate gets as high as 189 when I'm jogging - SLOWLY lol

But I agree, you'll know when your heart rate gets too high. I think between 175 and 190 would be a safe bet?

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I also read the 130-157 and was worried because it gets up to 175 typically..sometimes higher.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're newish/ returning to exercise, you have potential to get fitter, and the HRM is less of a guide; as you increase your fitness your 'max' will increase, although you should only be running at that for short bursts of time.

As someone who has recently been through what you're doing, the best advice I can give is 'run at the speed of chat', which is, in all likelihood a lot slower than you're going now. It means that if someone was runing next to you, you could have a conversation with them at the same time. If you do that you will get through c25k, and beyond. No problem in increasing your distance or speed afterwards.

I am a little older than you, but as a guide my 'speed of chat' heart rate is around 150-155bpm. If I push it and run faster it can go up to around 172, but that's not sustainable for long.

By all means use the HRM; especially if it tells you calories burned, but your breathing is a better guide at this stage. Hope this helps!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are healthy then you can raise your heartrate to whatever. However, it's not necessary to do this to get fitter.

So, you are better slowing down to a level that you can maintain. You should get to know your own different levels of effort.
    Real Easy - slow walking - you feel like you can do it forever.
    Easy - walking briskly/your slowest jog - you can keep going but eventually you will tire.
    Medium - You can keep this pace for a moderat leght of time.
    Comfortably Hard - you can just about talk while doing it.
    Hard - you can't talk and you can only keep going for a very short time.
    Flat out - you can do this for a few seconds only.

For training, maybe 80% of your time, should be Medium or less. doesnt really matter what your heart rate is. The length of time you can run at a medium will increase as you get fitter and you might go a bit quicker too for the same perceived effort. There's endless information out there about training zones etc. but if you think about perceived effort then you are pretty much doing the same thing.
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    I am really out of shape. The issue is my heart rate is that high for the duration of my running intervals. I use the term running very loosely...I am going as slow ad I can without it becoming a fast walk and I am still our of breath the entire time. Maybe I'm not cut out to run?