Losing Inches ~ Scale Doesn't budge

Options
:grumble:

Just wondering if anyone else is losing inches but not really losing any weight. I've been working out 5-6 days a week, hard and my measurements are shrinking but the scale only bobbles a pound or two.

Replies

• mogulmike
    Options
    I can say the same. I've been controling my food intake and running 15-17 miles a week along with swimming and some weight liting. I see no loss on the scale but my pants fit bigger on me and I've just come to realize that I either have to drink more water during the course of the day, or have a really big workout day to jumpstart the weight loss.
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    As I understand it from others stories, thats to be expected. Just keep at it! It will eentually reflect on the scale.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you're doing strength training, you're probably losing fat, but gaining muscle which is more dense and therefore heavier than fat. It will look like you're not losing weight but you're losing the weight that counts (fat)!
  • KylieE
    KylieE Posts: 40
    Options
    From what I understand, muscle weighs more than fat and muscle burns fat. You gain muscle then that burns the fat, so exactly - it will show eventually. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • jsu3517m
    Options
    Atleast your losing something right?? My philosophy is, if I feel better and feel like I look better, who cares about my weight!
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing. In almost five week's I've lost 7 pounds and three inches. The thing is, I lost inches faster than pounds. So keep up the good work, one day you'll wake up and be a few pounds lighter by suprise. :)
  • runner915
    Options
    Like some of the other people have mentioned, muscle weighs more than fat so it is probably just a result of toning up. I've read in a lot of magazines that you should go by how your clothes are fitting as opposed to the number of the scale. And I think I would rather lose inches than see the number on the scale go down, but I'll take either one of them :) Anyway, don't get discouraged, you are doing awesome!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You're probably not gaining muscle MASS yet (possible, but difficult to gain muscle mass while maintaining a calorie deficit. Plus, it can take a while), but it's likely your muscles are retaining water. This happens when you start an exercise program- your muscles get 'shocked' and hold onto water. As your body adjusts to the workouts, it will let go of the fluids. In the meantime, drink lots of water.

Inches are what count. Keep doing what you're doing, the scale will show it sooner or later.
  • aprildh
    Options
    I'm frustrated with the same thing. I am working out 5-7 days a week. I feel stronger and much more tone, but as of yet I do not see any difference on the scale or even really in my clothes. I've been doing this for a month, so I feel like its time for the weight to start dropping. Dr. Oz did mention this week that muscle will retain water after an intense workout while it rebuilds and that accounts for sudden weight gain after a particulary hard workout.
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    I;d be happy with that. Even if the scale says that im over weight, id be as long as my measuring tape said i had a small waist. So dont pay attention to the scale. :)
  • ShapeUp2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support, good to know that other's are feeling the same way. Much to my surprise, I stepped on my scale this morning after going out to dinner with friends last night and splurging on a shared dessert (haven't had it since December, can't say I miss it either) and I'm down two pounds, go figure. I'll just keep drinking my water, thankfully I like water and don't have a problem getting in at minimum 10/ 8 oz. servings. I've only been at this for a month and everyday gets better.

Have a great week everyone and stay with it......it gets easier to be healthy everyday!

Judy
  • atlmom
    atlmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the other thing to think about is whether you are getting enough calories. sometimes your body thinks it has to conserve and holds on longer. i mean eventually it will drop, but i usually loose motivation
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    haha this is the story of my life. But really is the number that important?

even inches aren't the be all and end all

health and wellbeing thats were its at.

congradulations on loosing the inches tho :)