How should I do this?

Options
I posted in another place but didn't get any answers. I'm fairly new to weightloss and am slightly lost.

Basically on Monday, I plan to start the 30 day shred over again in the mornings just after my hubby leaves for work (I haven't done the shred in 2 months) and I plan to walk (work my way up to running) for the hour he is home for lunch to keep an eye on our son each day. Previously I was just doing the shred and I was getting up and eating breakfast, then doing the shred about a half hour later, then drinking a protein shake...All by 8 or 9 a.m. Then I'd eat lunch around 12.

The new plan is to drink my coffee first thing. Do the shred right after. Eat a high protein breakfast after that. At lunch I plan to drink just a homemade protein shake/smoothie. I plan to have a low calorie afternoon snack then eat a healthy meal at suppertime.

My concern is, would it be more effective to eat before or after exercise? Should I eat before I do the shred instead of after and should I drink my protein shake before or after I run and how long before or after?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Doesnt matter.
    Do whats convenient.

I'm normally fasted while working out and for an hour or 2 after.
    I like working out this way.
    Do what works for you.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Doesnt matter.
    Do whats convenient.

Do what works for you.

Listen to this guy.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I typically eat after if I am working out in the AM. If I work out after work, I like there to be about 2 hours between the time I've last eaten to the the time I start my workout. Just depends on you. I get really bad side cramps if I don't leave enough time between eating and exercising.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Doesnt matter.
    Do whats convenient.

Do what works for you.

Listen to this guy.

i agree.

one thing i would say is you can get plenty of protein without having meal replacement shakes, and 'proper' food is more sustainable in the long run.
  • FJMilner
    Options
    Personal choice....If I do an early morning workout, I don't think I could do it with breakfast inside me...think it would come straight back up!! Each to their own though, whatever works best for you, there is no right or wrong xx
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I agree it's personal choice...it's not going to make that big of a difference. Just what works best for you.
  • adventuring
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, but the Shred involves a bunch of jumping around, so keep that in mind in terms of food. Personally, I'd either wait a bit after eating or eat after I did it.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I either jog or do 3oDS on a morning before eating anything at all and never have a problem, but then I know some people who couldn't bare the thought of not eating an hour before a work out.

I think it's entirely up to you. I have read on some sites that metabolism is slightly raised by exercise so eating after is better as your metabolism is that slight bit quicker. But I don't know how true it is and basically whatever works best for you and is something you can stick with is the best way for you to do it.

Try a few different routines and see what you feel best with and good luck!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Oh and just to say I drink half a litre of water before starting and another half during my exercise. I think for me that is important as I don't drink anything during night so have to try and get lots of water in as quick as possible.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Doesnt matter.
    Do whats convenient.

Do what works for you.

Listen to this guy.

i agree.

one thing i would say is you can get plenty of protein without having meal replacement shakes, and 'proper' food is more sustainable in the long run.

Agree with all of the above. Do what works for you. It's all personal preference.
  • LessLikeHer
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was so confused because I've read that you should eat about a half hour before excercising for energy BUT I also read that you should NEVER eat before because your body is so busy processing the food that the exerciseing is cancelled out and fat burning is slowed. I've also read that eating after just cancels out what calories you just burned and is not at all good for weightloss. Thanks for the encouragement to just go with what works...I'd rather eat after because it makes me less prone to over eat if I'm feeling good and motivated by a good workout.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Find what you " LOVE " to do ... and stick with it ! Everybody has an " idea " of what should work ... truth is ... what works is what works for you ! If you don't love it ... don't do it !

People of all sizes and shapes have found something that works and yet, ten people will swear it doesn't work ! Good thing is ... we all have a mind of our own !

The key to my success : HAPPINESS

:flowerforyou: