Itchy

Options
Hi,

I need some advice. As of last week, after exercising my skin is so itchy. Especially my stomach. Any advice?

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    2 things.................

Are you getting enough water in your body and are you eating enough fat?

Water and fat keep your skin moist and supple, along with the fruits and veggies for vitamins and minerals.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me for years and when I tried to explain to others they thought I was making it up! I googled it and found this article http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hives/a/exana.htm .

I find that it only happens when I haven't exercised for a while. I usually take an over the counter antihistamine (Claritin) about 30-60 minutes before I work out and it works wonders.

You should check with your Dr. to make sure though..

Hope this helps!
  • kelley1006
    kelley1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when i first start exercising again after a long period of being lazy. It tends to go away after about a week for me.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I have it on my face and it's just dry skin. Maybe lotion up before hitting the gym!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    The itching is most likely increased blow flow at the surface of the skin. Lotion will not help because this has to do with the capillaries in the dermis and blood vessels in the subcutaneous layer layer of the skin.

Do the areas that itch feel warm to the touch? Is the skin red or pink? Does it stop some time after you cool down from your work out? If so, this is lkely what it is. It usually goes away after a certain period of consistant exercise when the body gets used to the increase in blood flow to the affected ares.

On another note: It could be the friction of your clothes. Combined with your sweat, this could really irritate your skin. In this case, you might want to check the quality of the fibers that make up your clothes. Dyes could have an effect as well. You may be able to wear anything durning normal circumstances; however, when you are working out, your capilaries are dialated and your skin is more susceptible to irritation. Lotion, could cause more irritation if this is the case.

I also agree with Lioness about proper hydration and fat intake. Not only does it keep your skin supple, but it slows the process of wrinkles. Bonus!:drinker:

I would also like to suggest dry brushing your skin daily and see if that helps. I described how to do this in another post about dry skin.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/77825-tips-for-winter-skin?hl=dry+winter+skin#posts-1064438

If your problem continues please consult with a dermatologist.
    Holly
  • majorod
    Options
    I had that too. Docs diagnosed exercise induced urticaria. I also have cold induced urticaria which itchiness starts up when my skin is cold. Anyway, could use some sort of antihistamine but I really just try to "get through" the itch and get pasted the hives don't like to use meds. It is a lot better now that I'm in Denver must be the dry air and high altitude. It was really bad in Hawaii and Ohio must of been the humidity.