Double Check before you bite!

Options
I made cookies tonight (bad idea). I wasnt planning on eating any becuase I was just making them for my daughter and niece. They looked so good that I had three! I wasnt too worried becuase I had a few calories left for the day and I did a cardio workout. But after I added it to my food diary I was -86 calories! one cookie was 120 calories! And i added it as a new food to make sure I had the right nutritional info. So please learn from my mistake! Double check the nutritional value before you start snacking!

:embarassed:

- Knowledge is power

Replies

• annette02
    Options
    Just wanted to add that you aren't the only one to do that ! I LOVE to bake, and when I think I will not have any of the goodies that I bake, I end up having some....plus more! Its hard. I hear ya! Theres always tomorrow!! Have a good day!
  • becca09
    becca09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ouch. You know what i hate, that some of these items on the food list are wrong.
    Herta (if i spelt that right) frankfurters on here say they are 77 cals but on the packaging they are more. i cant remember the exact amount. but that calorie info being wrong messes up my calorie intake. I tried changing some of the nutritional info on some items so they would be right but it wouldnt let me do it. im considering just forgetting this site because its going to confuse me with two different amounts of cals.
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hear you! A few friends went out to eat for lunch and I passed because "I'm going to do it this time" but they brought back 1 piece of chicken satay (thai version of chicken teriyaki ) and it had over 100 calories.. i could not believe it!!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ouch. You know what i hate, that some of these items on the food list are wrong.
    Herta (if i spelt that right) frankfurters on here say they are 77 cals but on the packaging they are more. i cant remember the exact amount. but that calorie info being wrong messes up my calorie intake. I tried changing some of the nutritional info on some items so they would be right but it wouldnt let me do it. im considering just forgetting this site because its going to confuse me with two different amounts of cals.

Sometimes they are old versions of products, which will change and then aren't updated. Always believe the calories of the packaging before you believe this site. If it's something you don't have the packaging for, use the values in the database on here as a guide. Sometimes people don't add the values for carbs, protein, sodium etc. either so you think you didn't eat as many carbs etc. as you actually did.

It can only ever be a rough guide really. Most things are correct, from my experience anyway.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

you can enter the food as a new food into the data base yourself, just like you can if it was a new food that didn't exist in the database, just use your package and punch the details in ---- sometimes a product in different countries has different values and serving sizes :)
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    I try to look at the calories on the package and if it's wrong in the database I just make a new one with the right amount...and then that's the one I always use....but like tonite I made a brisket and I had no idea how to estimate the calories so I just kinda take whatever is in the middle.....it's better than nothing.....

Enjoy your cookie....it'll be ok!!!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I always double-check any entries that have been done by members vs. what is on the actual packaging and if there is a difference, I go to My Foods and create my own entry for something. Even if it says it's a duplicate, I just ignore it and submit the corrected information. Or, if I'm being lazy, I just enter that I had either a slightly smaller or slightly larger portion so that the calories are right. For instance:

I bought some fortune cookies and when I searched "fortune cookie" the one that I clicked on and entered into my food diary was 30 calories while the ones I got were only 20 cals each. So I just clicked on it then re-entered my serving amount as only .66 so that it would say 20 cals in my diary.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I always double-check any entries that have been done by members vs. what is on the actual packaging and if there is a difference, I go to My Foods and create my own entry for something. Even if it says it's a duplicate, I just ignore it and submit the corrected information. Or, if I'm being lazy, I just enter that I had either a slightly smaller or slightly larger portion so that the calories are right. For instance:

I bought some fortune cookies and when I searched "fortune cookie" the one that I clicked on and entered into my food diary was 30 calories while the ones I got were only 20 cals each. So I just clicked on it then re-entered my serving amount as only .66 so that it would say 20 cals in my diary.

Yep, I do that - it saves time that I could be using working out (watching TV) ;)
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    I have 630 calories left for today after logging my run, and I really want to make cookies now. Thanks :p