Meals for one/two

Options
So....I have a situation. I am married to my amazing husband, however, we are stationed 1500 miles apart (gotta love the military). I grew up with a huge family and am currently having difficulty preparing meals for one or two people. I would like healthy suggestions and I have no problem with trying new things but I can be picky if I choose. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do for lunch, which you could adapt/use. I cook a dish for 4 and take it to work for 2 days running, putting the remaining portions in the freezer for either the next week, or for a week when I don't feel like cooking.

You could pretty much do the same, cook for a larger number and freeze what you don't eat or use.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

You could pretty much do the same, cook for a larger number and freeze what you don't eat or use.

^
    This exactly. I do a lot of cooking in the crockpot on the weekends, then freeze individual servings. So many days when I don't feel like or don't have time to cook after work and the gym, it's nice to be able to grab something out of the freezer and pop in the microwave.
    Other than that, I tend to just throw some chicken or turkey breast and veggies on the grill. You can also grill some extra protein and freeze for quick meals later. I tend to grill my chicken slightly underdone. Then I slice and freeze in individual servings. When I need it I can reheat in the microwave and add to a salad, or cook up quickly on the stove with some veggies and pasta.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I actually do the same thing - I cook something wonderful on the weekends that I portion out for lunch for the week. Then at night I'll usually have fish or chicken, something like that, that I've already pre-portioned and wrapped individually so that I don't have to do any chopping or slicing of anything, just pull it out of the freezer and put it in the oven one serving at a time. Add some veggies and maybe some whole wheat pasta and I've got a nice little meal for 1.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've recently started buying bulk packs of chicken at the store and then freezing the breasts in individual bags. I pull one out and stick it in the fridge and then when I come home from work I can throw it in a skillet with and pop a baked sweet potato or a bag of veggies in the microwave. I have dinner in less than 20 minutes and I can usually get two servings out of it so I can take it for lunch the next day!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same here, there's only me and MrWW but I can't cook in 2 people portions so I freeze any leftovers - then take them to work for lunch or have them as a quick tea done in the microwave when I don't feel like cooking. Mr also appreciates that there is quick stuff in the house too... remember to label it though, manys a time I haven't had a clue what I was taking for lunch :noway:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is make stuff to freeze. I have an old blog I don't update anymore that has a bunch of recipes for this
    http://icemancooketh.blogspot.com/
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do for lunch, which you could adapt/use. I cook a dish for 4 and take it to work for 2 days running, putting the remaining portions in the freezer for either the next week, or for a week when I don't feel like cooking.

This is exactly what I do. I cook 2-3 meals on Sunday and portion and freeze what won't be used within 2 days. It makes planning your food a lot easier too.
  • dbarchus
    Options
    (nice packer logo...GO PACK)

I have leftovers and I have three people in our household to share them with. We've calculated that leftovers have, at best, a 10% chance of being eatern.

I also work and have a busy off work shedule, so it makes cooking a fancy meal difficult during the week.

My hubby and I eat a LOT of fresh fruits, veggies, tuna, sliced turkey breast from the deli and eggs. Fortuantely we both love salads, and vary them by using tuna, turkey or eggs. My favorite is a veggie salad augmented with strawberries, blueberries and turkey.....no dressing or at most 2Ts of creamy balsamic.

Also fortunate that we can get our 16 year old son eat salads (not as fancy, but put a nice 2 year old aged white cheddar cheese on it and he'll eat almost anything). He'll eat pizza 3-4xs a week and be happy.

We save our cooking time for the weekends when we will grill a fresh meal of fish, chicken, pork, steak and veggies, with a treat of rice or potatoes. We struggle with making too much and i'm constantly trying to downsize and get it right. My eye's are just always bigger tha my tummy. But by not cooking big duing the week we waste less, AND our waists are less (pun intended).
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am so glad that I am not alone in thinking of utilizing my crockpot - especially with the weather change. Any suggestions for crockpot recipes other than chili??
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    skinnyms.com has some great slowcooker recipes. Mostly I just experiement with different combinations of lean protein, veggies, and spices.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    LOADS of things can be done! I'm sure there is a forum topic on the recipes, have a look in the recipes section? Sorry, I'd have a look but I'm in work :bigsmile: