Slowcooker Shredded Chipotle Chicken w/Sweet Potatoes

Options
_Elemenopee_
_Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
I have made the below recipe several times and it's always been great (and SPICY!!!!!).

Do y'all/y'inz/you's think it would work in the slow cooker as shredded chipotle chicken with the cubed sweet taters thrown in as well?

I was thinking of maybe throwing in some sweet tea to cut some of the spice and add another layer of flavor.

Thoughts?

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/6-quick-chicken-recipes/

Chipotle-Glazed Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

Makes: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
4 sweet potatoes (10 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, plus additional to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 pounds), rinsed and patted dry
Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potatoes in the olive oil and scatter on the bottom of a roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the chilies, garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon to make a paste. Rub the paste evenly over each breast.
3. Place the chicken breasts on top of the sweet potatoes and roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro if desired.

Nutrition facts per serving: 407 calories, 38g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 8g fat (1.3g saturated), 6g fiber

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump

Edit to say: Saved and printed, will be having this Sunday for Football.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could work for the slow cooker, but I would put more thought into the potatoes. You may have to add them a bit after you put it to cook because depending on how long you cooked them, they'd turn into mush. I've learned this lesson the hard way, haha. Sounds good though. They tea may make it a little watery, but I'm not sure. I'm def gonna try it.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Sounds good...but I'd have to dial the heat back a bit...What can I say? I'm a sissy!
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    Yeah, I thought about that too. Maybe just roast the potatoes in the oven by themselves?
  • ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Woah. This is all of my favorites in one crock pot. Genius!
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    Mmmm. Sounds good...but I'd have to dial the heat back a bit...What can I say? I'm a sissy!

Oh yeah..it IS spicy
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'd be worried about the potatoes becoming mushy. But as someone else said, if you put them in later, they should be ok. When I make chicken and dumplings in the slow cooker, I always put the dough in 1 hour before I'm ready to serve. Perhaps you could do the same with the potatoes.

Looks delicious though. I'm definitely going to have to try this.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump, will have to try this! It sounds so yummy!
  • droberts3311
    Options
    bump
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You would probably need to add the potatoes later on in the cooking process as they will cook a lot faster than the chicken.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    For us slow cooker newbies, how do you adapt the recipe for the slow cooker?
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    For us slow cooker newbies, how do you adapt the recipe for the slow cooker?

I'm thinking of just leaving all the ingredients the same amounts, nevermind the sweet tea, and just throw in the cubed sweet potatoes an hour or so before we eat. Luckily my husband is working from home today so he'll be doing that before I get home!
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful and flavorful. I am adding it to my list of recipes to try this fall. thanks!