New Sweetener "Nectresse"

Options
Anyone have thoughts about it? Saw a commercial today and it looks super neat.

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    My only thought is 'let someone else play the guinea pig'. I don't have much faith in artificial sweeteners. I seem to have an intolerance to splenda and won't be in a rush to jump on that roller coaster again anytime too soon.
  • skinnylion
    Options
    I guess that's a good point. I just can't stand unsweetened tea or coffee. :/
  • sadein
    Options
    I'm curious too. I don't like unsweetened coffee and I have to have my coffee!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i got a free sample of two packets a while back... i'll use it in iced tea or something tomorrow and report back!

for the record - i was off artificial sweeteners for a while. i can tolerate splenda. stevia was gross to me. sweet & low is also pretty gross.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard about it, but unless you are having heaps of tea or coffee a day (which even unsweetened is probably a problem in itself) I would (and do) just have sugar!
  • sadein
    Options
    I haven't heard about it, but unless you are having heaps of tea or coffee a day (which even unsweetened is probably a problem in itself) I would (and do) just have sugar!

I would have said the same at your age but, at my age, calories add up. The verdict is out on caffeine, I gave it up for about 6 months and the only difference was, my brain didn't start functioning until about 10am.

Soooo, I'll stick with my coffee, tea and fake sugar. We all have to die of something, odds are greatest that I will get taken out by a car on my bike!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a name that implies death ?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

I would have said the same at your age but, at my age, calories add up. The verdict is out on caffeine, I gave it up for about 6 months and the only difference was, my brain didn't start functioning until about 10am.

Soooo, I'll stick with my coffee, tea and fake sugar. We all have to die of something, odds are greatest that I will get taken out by a car on my bike!
    I just mean a teaspoon of sugar is only about 16 calories, so unless you are having heaps of tea and coffee (or you like it really sweet I guess) I wouldn't think it would add up to much. Each to their own though, its just not for me :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I bought a box at Target and I like it.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

I just mean a teaspoon of sugar is only about 16 calories, so unless you are having heaps of tea and coffee (or you like it really sweet I guess) I wouldn't think it would add up to much. Each to their own though, its just not for me :)

My thoughts exactly. It's not worth the trade off. I'll keep the 16 calories.

As far as the 'we all have to die of something' argument....this is true. But I'm going to hedge my bets anyway I can! LOL
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Had not heard of it, so I googled - apparently it's INSPIRED BY FRUIT! MADE FROM NATURE! AND NATURAL FRUIT!!!! WITH NATURAL SWEET FRUITY SWEETNESS!! (and other sweeteners). Their advertising is seriously creepy, and I've already had the Splenda disaster, so I think I'll pass on this one.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    a name that implies death ?

LOL. That was my first thought too.
  • NautiLife
    Options
    Setvia in the raw still seems to be my route these says. Stevia which is a plant with sweet leaves is dried and ground into a fine powder is super sweet like 300% sweeter than sugar. In south america the stuff grows everywhere and you will find the local pulling a few leaves crushing them and dropping them into their coffee, tea, etc. My wife and I have been experimenting with it uses such as my cheesecake. I make a great cheesecake using fat free philly cream cheese, stevia in exchange for sugar, fat free sour cream, and raw natural fruit blueberry/strawberry. After its all said and done if you divide the cake into 10 equal slices we've calulated it to be less than 200 calories in each slice. So we can have our cake and eat it too! We make cookies for the kids and don't have to stress about the sugar intake because Stevia has no calories, will not spike your glucose which means its perfect for diabetics (wish my grandpa was still alive to try it) and it doesn't turn our kids into tasmanian devils after eating.
  • skinnylion
    Options
    I have tried other natural sweeteners - Truvia and Stevia both taste bitter to me, not sweet. And I have to use two packets of them instead of one Sweet N' Low... and since they're already twice as expensive, I'm spending 4x the cash on one cup of coffee. Not cool.

I tried using real sugar too for a while, but I think I have issues with sugar spikes and recently I've reduced my carbs to 40% and I'm also watching my sugar intake. Of course it's ideal, but for me not realistic. So it's either artificially sweetened coffee or none at all - and I like it too much to give it up!

That's the reason why I wanted to try Nectresse. It's natural and something new. I'm glad to hear the person who got a box from Target liked it, I ordered a free sample from the website so hopefully it'll be good.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I believe it's supposed to be more organic than the Splenda stuff as it's a fruit sugar. It's not the same thing. I wish I could do Stevia but it's related to rag weed which means it causes an allergic reaction. Also, you may want to look into the right version of Stevia. Sweetleaf is the only stevia out there that uses a water process to extract the sweetener - the others use chemicals. I found out about that because they recently had to copyright their plant process. Unfortunately, I can't use it.

http://www.monkfruit.org/all-natural-process

Here's something about how they make this sweetener. It's definitely better than Splenda.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I just use less sugar if anything. Never a fan of "Artificial" sweeteners/flavors.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    From what I saw, this isn't a chemical sweetener. It's basically Monk fruit that's been dried and turned into a powder. If that's the case, it's not artificial.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    From what I saw, this isn't a chemical sweetener. It's basically Monk fruit that's been dried and turned into a powder. If that's the case, it's not artificial.
    Out of curiosity I googled it, and it does have some artificial ingredients: http://www.naturalnews.com/036719_Splenda_Nectresse_ingredients.html
    Here's just a segment of the article:
    "But monk fruit is not the only ingredient in Nectresse, nor is it even the primary ingredient. The first and most abundant ingredient in Nectresse is actually erythritol, a sugar alcohol commonly derived from corn, the vast majority of which has been genetically modified (GM) in the U.S. And the second ingredient in Nectresse is sugar, which is refined and more than likely comes from GM sugar beets.

The third ingredient in Nectresse is monk fruit, which McNeil explains is extracted using a natural process involving both water and heat rather than chemicals -- this is good. But the fourth and final ingredient in Nectresse is molasses, which once again is a sugar that more than likely was derived from GM sugar beets -- producers that use sugar from sugar cane, after all, typically indicate this on their ingredient labels.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036719_Splenda_Nectresse_ingredients.html#ixzz27sNdldki"
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Thanks for the information. At least it's a type of sugar. That's better than some of the other chemicals....wonder if there's a way to get a pure source of it.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    this is way late, but i finally used two packets in a cup of hot tea. i was surprised to see the texture when i opened up the packet..instead of being powdery (like splenda/sweet n low/etc) it was very coarse. almost looked like sugar in the raw. i feel like it is maybe a little less sweet than splenda. very remiscent of splenda, though, and in a taste test i wonder if i'd spot the difference.

would i go out and buy it? eh... maybe. i would like to see more research and just general use of it. i don't use sweeteners too often so i'll most likely stick with plain old sugar/agave nectar.