Pregnancy 2010 - Week 6

Options
Hello everyone!

For those of you just finding us, this is a group that is trying to be healthier and/or lose weight while:

a)wanting to drop some weight before TTC
b) TTC
c) Pregnant

Wednesdays are our days to weigh in, and we have started having weekly challenges.

The challenge for this week is.... stretching every day for at least 20 minutes Stretching is often neglected - remember to warm up first!

How did everyone fare for the last challenge - being active for 60 minutes at least 4/7 days?

Welcome! The more the merrier!

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I'd love to join this group. My husband and I are going to TTC later this year. I have to lose 45 pounds before I can start TTC doctors orders.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Welcome KimberlyKurtz, it is great to have you.

SW:202.5
    CW:195.5
    Lost this week: 1.5 lbs

Jalara - Great idea for the challenge this week. I love streaching, but I always tend to forget. I didn't do very well with the last challenge, only 2 of the 7 days, but I still saw weight loss, so I am happy.

Does anyone else have "Next year at this time" thoughts? I keep thinking, that Hopefully this will be my last Superbowl without Kids, or I better enjoy a drink on valentines day since next year I will be pregnant or nursing at this time. It is kind of scarry, but is pretty exciting too!
  • Mikiec
    Options
    Hi,

I'd love to join you if thats okay? We are TTC after 2 miscarriages and now I'm doing everything I can to minimise the risks of it happening again. I'm just looking to get myself into better shape and lose about 14 to 21 lbs.

I've become fairly active since I found my fitness pal and have even started walking to work and back on a daily basis. Stretching is something I do when my OH is going through the weights circuit with me which is every second evening.

My starting weight was 143lbs
    My Current weight is 137lbs
    Total loss so far 6lbs
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mikiec and KimberlyKurtz!! You are in the right place!!

Mikiec - I'm sorry ot hear about your loss. I admire you for allowing it to motivate you to do someting positive though. That takes courage and strength. Every bit of activity helps. The more you do, the more it becomes part of a healthier lifestyle :happy:

KimberlyKurtz - Congratulations on your 22lb loss! That's wonderful! We're glad to have you!

This past week I managed to complete the challenge! 4/7 days I worked out/was active for 60 minutes.

Confession - I didn't log my weigh-in last week. I had gained and wasn't happy about it. This week I am still higher than I was 2 weeks ago, but still lower than last week.

I've also added weight training to my regime. So 4 days a week I do that (2 for arms and core, 2 for legs), and every Thursday I'm going to (try) to do Zumba (tried it and loved it last week).

Proud moment - last night I had 2 appointments and needed some groceries so FI and I bundled up and walked everywhere. Since it wasn't freezing, it was wonderful, and I felt great when we got home. It was a moment that I was happy with, and happy with my healthy decision.

I've also watched The Biggest Loser for the first time, and I'm suddenly interested in Jillian Michaels. She has a new book out about metabolism, and I think I might pick it up. Anyone have thoughts???
  • Mikiec
    Options
    Thanks Jalara,

It has become a bit of a motivational thing for me purely to ensure that I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that it doesn't happen again!!

Think I might be being a bit clueless here but whats Zumba???

Walked to work today and walked home again! Feat and a half for me cos I drive everywhere! Got the Royal Navy circuit training tomorrow night with Stuart. Think I might walk to work again tomorrow and see how I go. It depends if I can get up early enough!

Michelle x
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Welcome Mikiec and KimberlyKurtz. This is a nice thread to be on.

I did not complete the challenge for last week - I am hoping to be better with that this week. I am not making excuses - but I was very sick over the weekend, when my last days were scheduled in to go. However, I'm feeling better this week and have not gone either! Yikes! I need to get more motivated. I've been doing great with the eating and logging calories, but I am having a hard time getting to the gym.

The thought of it possibly being the last Super Bowl and Valentine's Day and everything without being pregnant or having kids is really sweet. That really made me take a step back and realize I should be living in this moment a little more and enjoying where I'm at. I've become so driven to eat well and get things done that I'd like to before kids, and have forgotten to slow down and think like that. Thank you for that thought tahmed.
  • jalara
    Options
    So I just finished Day 1 Week 1 of Jillian's 30 Day Shred. Holy crap! They weren't kidding! My heart is still racing. FI was wonderful enough to do it with me (I think I was too scared otherwise). Let me just say, there was yelling and it wasn't Jillian! Yowsers!!!

Tahmed - I also think you raised an incredible point. 'This time next year' is going ot be a big deal. I never really thought of it like that before, although I guess I should, so I don't regret not cherishing the moments I have now. This time next year we aren't really planning to be pregnant yet, but we will be married, be healthier, have taken a few trips that we wanted to take (weekends in the area mainly) and will have gotten new furniture (for the first time ever - our stuff is from the 80's!). And next Christmas will be our last Christmas as a parenthood-less/non-pregnant couple. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling - it must be so incredible!

Must go fall over now........
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry for not checking in yesterday.

ST: 163
    CW: 159.8
    I've gained back half of what I lost and am almost back in the 60's!!! I NEED TO GET MOTIVATED!

That being said I did start the couch to 5k again yesterday morning, but only had 15 minutes to work out so I only completed half of it. I'm planning on doing day two today before our dinner guests get here. I feel icky and I really really want to be healthy through my pregnancy. I don't want this to be another excuse to not get into shape.

I'm still confused on the diet thing though. This early on am I supposed to eat to maintain my weight or is it still ok to count your calories to try and lose? Originally I was trying for 2 pounds a week, but haven't been counting calories since I was pregnant. Anyone who has kids know if it's ok for me to aim for losing 1 pound a week with diet and exercise? I meet with my doc tomorrow so I can always ask her too. First ultrasound tomorrow too!!!

WELCOME to the new girls!!!

I had a question for Mikiec, was it your doc that had recommended you lose weight? How tall are you? According to your chart your goal weight is 120lbs, which seems pretty low. I know that being underweight can cause conception problems so I just wanted to double check that 120 is the ideal weight for your height.

For Miss. Jalara, I have read part of Mastering your Metabolism by Julian Michaels and really enjoyed it. I think it's worth a read, i got some good tips out of it, even if I'm not disciplines enough to follow all the rules. haha, I'm planning on reading it again.
  • jalara
    Options
    Think I might be being a bit clueless here but whats Zumba???

Zumba is this new fitness trend that seems to be growing in North America - it's a latin dance inspired aerobic class. It's fun, and includes some pretty cool moves (and you get to pause for 15 seconds after each song to cach your breath too!). I really love it!

Angela - I'm glad to hear you're finally feeling a bit better. And 15 minutes is nothing to sneeze at! Just remember to monitor your heart rate to keep it below 140 bpm. As for calories, I would think that right now the biggest thing is to listen to your body. But really really listen. If you're stomach isn't hungry, don't eat. Or only eat until you aren't hungry anymore (as opposed to full or stuffed). If you are craving something, try to figure out what that food has that you could be needing, and get it from a healthier source. But make sure you are eating enough calories to maintain your weight, if nothing else. The added weight will come as needed, but I wouldn't try to lose unless you're under a doctor supervision. This is the one time in your life where you shouldn't stress over weightloss. You're going to gain weight, but as long as you eat well, get your nutrients and are healthy you should be fine. I guess, to me, what it boils down to is that you should likely eat to maintain your weight, but be active as much as you can during the pregnancy - it leads to a healthier gestation, birth, baby and recovery!!

Phew - I'm long winded today!
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    I am going to the gym today if it kills me. I am finally to the point where I am really just making myself go. I weighed myself yesterday and have only lost 0.6 lbs. in two weeks! Time to change something else and that is getting off my couch!
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I would like to join. I just found out I am pregnant with #2 after TTC for 6 months. Hooray!
    I was just wondering what everyones calorie intake is and how much exercise?
    I have set mine on matinence now and exercise for 30 min every 2 or 3 days with my heartrate under 150 which is really hard for me because I like to exercise hard but I am so paranoid now. I am usaually under with my calories but I try to get to 1700 each day after exercise. What do you guys think?
    I will talk to my doctor but I am only 4 weeks 4 days so I will wait a couple of weeks.
    Good luck to all TTC!
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    I would also like to join, I'm seven weeks pregnant with baby number three. I gained a lot of weigh with my other pregnancy and really want to be "cute" with this one. I'm only 5'2" so it shows quickly. I'm currently 139 lbs. and also curious about maintaining or/and losing when pregnant.
    Jalara - I tried 30 day shred last summer and was only able to reach level 2. It's a tough workout, but so much worth it.

I heard Zumba is awesome, my friend takes it and loves it. I live in the country, so it's very far away from here. But, I go to a to a yoga class once a week, and now I'm hooked. I also walk for at least 30 minutes a day.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I feel like I fell off the side of the earth for a few days. Welcome to all the newbies, and congrats to those of you who are pregnant. I have the flu, a sinus infection and strep. Nothing like getting hit with all three at once. My only goal this week is to not gain. I am not working out, and I am not logging my food. I am not really hungry anyway, so hopefully the lbs don't add up this week!

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • jalara
    Options
    Welcome Yessie! And congrats to the new preggos!!!

My office is filled with Valentine's chocolate today. Oh dear. And to make it worse, I'm not gymming today, it's a much needed day off. FI and I are going for massages instead (yay). Oy vey - the chocolate!

Let me just say - 30 Day Shred plus Zumba = ouch! :sad: And I get to do it again soon too... yay?

I'm going to try to put together a weekly workout schedule. Does anyone do that? I think I need tips.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Welcome to all the new comers! Whew we're growing fast, which is so exciting!

smelmel congrats on the new baby! I'm still trying to figure out how the whole calorie and exercise thing is supposed to go, I have my first OB appt today and first ultrasound and am planning on discussing this so I'll let everyone know what she recommends for me.

I lied, my morning sickness isn't getting better, in fact it has gotten worse the last couple of days. I threw up in front of a dinner guest yesterday and then this morning (which I don't usually get sick in the morning) I felt perfectly fine, was walking down the hallway and randomly starting throwing up. Luckily I was across the hall from a bathroom and made it in time, but man! Usually I gag, throw up a little, gag, throw up a little more, gag, than throw up a lot. This was a whole new ball game, especially since I wasn't feeling particularly nauseas. *sigh

P.S. boobs have grown 2 cup sizes already!!! People are noticing that more than my little baby bump! haha, which I know I said I would post pics, but we can't find the stupid cord for our camera that loads it onto the computer. We'll probably go buy one today. :-D

OB appt is at 1:30pm, wish me luck and good news!
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks00Angela00
    Goodluck at the OB. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    I remember with my last I got big boobs too, especially if you breastfeed they get massive which was great at the time but when I stopped BF they turned out like 2 deflated ballons. I am definately getting a boob job after this baby. It doesn't happen 2 everyone, I think it's when your older your skin loses it's elastisity. I really miss them.:sad:
    The other day I was going to my friends and decided to get a cooked chicken for lunch, so I went through the drive through and paid and just drove off, I got 10 min down the road and realised I didn't have the chicken, When I went back he goes "what were you doing" I said I was pregnant and he just laughed, I am such a dill.
    Has anyone got any cravings yet?
    Mine are dark rye bread with fried eggs and baked beans. I hope it's not like last time when it was doughnuts, milkshakes and mc flurrys.
  • jalara
    Options
    OMG I had such a bad food day today! And it hasn't really stopped yet! There was so much V-Day candy at the officce, and then at home, then we had to eat while we were out tonight, but the only non-gluten food available was french fries.... argh!

Enjoyed my rest day today though. The massage was great, and when she worked on my glutes I winced and told her Jillian Michaels was the devil - lol. I am still very sore.

Angela - how did it go today??? I hope everything is good!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    The appointment went well ... really long, and since you're meeting with so many people by the time I got to the doc I had all my questions answered so I was a little sad that I didn't get more conversation with her. She was willing to chat and answer questions ... I just didn't have anymore. haha

We go to see our little baby and the heartbeat was breathtaking! I teared up when I saw it! So very exciting! They said I should increase my calories by 200 and plan on gaining 20 to 25 pounds this pregnancy since I'm overweight. Then gave me a list of foods they want me to eat ... none of which I'm tollerating haha. Oh well, 2nd trimester will be better. No exercise restrictions this early.

baby8weeks.jpg
  • jalara
    Options
    Angela,

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you:flowerforyou:

I'm glad to hear you got all your questions answered. That must be a relief. How are you feeling about it now?? How did DH handle the day?? What kind of foods did they tell you eat?

Love the new pic!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I've had a horrible day ... I have stomach flu, extreemly uncomfortable especially pregnant