The worst feeling ever...

Options
So, a few days ago one of my friends posted a not so flattering picture of me on Facebook...

527619_2921089246800_2073655496_n-1.jpg

I deleted it, even though it stayed in my mind because I thought I was looking pretty good and then to see that... (however, I am trying to jump forward in that picture, so I know it is not the best position).

So, yesterday I was out hiking with some teenagers, which I was their counselor in summer camp (they are 16 years old, I am 18), and two of the kids I liked and have on Facebook started talking about the picture and how my belly is sticking out and how It looks like I am sucking it in because it's hard to walk around with that.

I waited for when I could get away from my group, and started sobbing, I was just so hurt, because even if they are dumb 16 year olds, they are close to my age and I did not know that is what people think of how I look...

It just makes me want to quit all this, and stop eating. I know I will never ever do that (don't worry), but I just want to crawl into a hole and come out thin.

Replies

• drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. When I was in high school, I found out that some of my closest friends were talking about my weight behind my back and it made me feel horrible. Even now as an adult, I have a really hard time when someone says something about my weight or my size. But you look beautiful in your profile pictures. Don't let this one pic bring you down. You are doing great and they are just immature teenagers. If you feel good about yourself, that is the only thing that matters. Keep your head up!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    That must have been soo hard,...trust me I know,..as a teen my skinny cousin would get me in a crwd of ur friends & start putting me down for my weight,...keep going brush it off yur shoulders and keep moving forward,yur doing greattt!!!,and yur beautiful!....& yur right they are just dumb 16 yr olds.,,,
  • If you ask me, you look gorgeous in that picture, and you know you're making the effort so don't let such horrible people get you down. congrats!
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If your profile pic is really you then I can confirm to you that you ARE thin. You may not FEEL thin all the time (none of us do) but you are, in fact, beautiful and very slim. We ALL have not so flattering pics of ourselves out there. Stop caring what others think. The only thing that matters is what YOU think. Don't give into the negativity.
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you look great. Keep up the good work!
  • tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. i wouldnt worry about what a couple of silly kids say once they grow up and have kids and such they wont be as cute and little either.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    This is why I hate swimming. I hate swim wear. I won't swim. Didn't touch the pool this last summer.

I'm soo sooo sorry! I totally understand the feeling. It sucks.

Do not ever give up. Sometimes teens don't think of how their words can effect someone. I'm 18, I know friends who would easily start mentioning someones weight and they don't think twice. Some people think weight loss is easy and don't understand eating issues of people personally.

Stay strong hun.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    you look so teeny in your profile pics and you were just leaning over. dont let them bother you!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    You poor thing, you should feel good about your body! Sometimes people do not realize how insensitive they are being. You are already in the right place to get to your goal, so don't give up now. Think of this journey like a big mountain you are trying to get to the top of. We all know that going uphill is a lot harder than going downhill. Every time you give in a to a craving or skip a workout, you slide backwards down the hill. Every time you meet your calorie goal, go on a hike, etc, you are moving up the hill. Keep going up, because do you really want to try and have to climb it again? Do you really want to get halfway up, and then half to climb it again? Take care of your body, it is strong, beautiful and gives you life everyday. Ignore the ignorance, and get it girlie!! You've already shed your tears, so now it's time to show those 16-year-olds who is boss!
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    I am not going to try to console you because I understand that no matter what we all need to "feel those feelings" in order to push past. I think you look amazing and the fact you are working your bottom off to accomplish a goal says so much more about you than the mean little jack-holes who made those comments. :flowerforyou:
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know it's impossible to simply not care what people say, when you obviously do. Your feelings were hurt, and that's completely understandable. Me telling you to not care won't flip a magic switch in your emotions that makes you forget what was said. However, I do hope you can focus on your beautiful profile picture, and think of this example as a story you can tell when you hit your weight loss goal. A lot of people have "before" pics and "before" stories. This can be yours. And just remember that for a lot of us, this picture of you in the water is our "after" picture! Even after losing the weight that I have, I don't think I would look as good as you if I were in that position! You are doing fantastic.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! 8 years ago (and it still runs through my mind to this day) my ex boyfriends kid who was 10 at the time, poked my protruding hump of back fat under my bra, and said whats this...and then ran screaming ewww its FAT! I know he was only 10, but you usually get the truth from the young ones! That has run through my head constantly...But you know what, I use it as my motivation and try not to let it get me down! Its hurtful, but we wont be that way anymore!!!! Just tell yourself that! :)
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    People will always put others down to make themselves feel better. It is a hard, disgusting fact of life. Some people suck. You are on a better path, use it as fuel to keep moving and create a new way of life. Try a gym with a boxing bag and beat the hell out of them!
  • omairaperez
    Options
    Just keep going.... You look amazing!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Another reason to not have Facebook.... That sucks OP. :(
  • rjsehm5
    rjsehm5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you had to hear that....

I have kids your age and I always tell them that there is only one person they need to impress, please, be accepted by and that is themselves. If you feel you look good than you look good!!!! Keep up the good work and learn early on not to let anyone bring you down.
  • debsgoal125
    Options
    There are way too many people who feel free to say things on Facebook that they wouldn't normally say...it says more about their character than your picture. Please stay in your own truth and enjoy all your success. You were the same awesome person in the picture as you are now with your success!
  • lolaluv4
    lolaluv4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    first of all you are gorgeous and little!! don't let some stupid comments made by teens think any differently though i know that is impossible. i coach cheerleading from age 13-18 so i know how they really can affect you and how you feel about yourself. at that age all they want to do is be cool and probably thought they were being funny if their friends laughed too. they most likely did not even realize that it hurt you. they joke around and make fun of each other a lot i've noticed. that's how they interact so they are probably doing the same to you not realizing how damaging simple comments can be.

the worst thing you can do is give up!! show them how amazing you are! or push them down a hill next time :smile: (just kidding dont really)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think you just got caught in a very bad angle, you look pretty hot to me.
  • AmyLouise70
    AmyLouise70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You look great in that picture - you are wearing a bikini!! As has been stated already - they don't know what they're saying, they aren't aware of how what they're saying will affect you, and ultimately what they say doesn't matter (although I understand how easy it is to let that get to you!)

Keep up your good work and feel good about how great you look!! You DO look great!

PS - What friend is so insensitive that she'd post to FB a pic of another friend in a bikini/swimsuit w/o asking first???! No matter how amazing a woman may look, we all know how self-conscious we can be about that and I think that *that's* one of the more disturbing parts of your story.