supposedly I'm obese? but I don't feel like it?

Options
Hmm... okay... I'm a 19 yr. old college student... I've struggled with weight all my life... it's in my genes. I'm a big boned girl, but I'm pretty short (5'1") again thanks to my genes! well... I got on the scale the other day... and it said that I weighed a whopping 183 pounds. I was flabbergasted... and I know that I'm overweight... but that was the first time I saw that according to almost every BMI calculator I am considered obese.

I'm really active... like I said I'm big boned... I play rugby... I can run a 40-yd dash in like... 6-7 seconds. I can lift weights... I can run... I certainly don't look like I'm obese. I walk about 30-60 minutes a day because I'm at a university... I just think that I have a different body type than most.

I also know that I was really really discouraged when I saw that I was considered medically "obese." Should I just accept the fact?

Replies

• JustJamie
    JustJamie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Similar situation with me. I'm 5'0 and 215. People would never think that I weight that much though, because I have a large frame and, while I do look chunky, I don't think I look obese.
  • CareyT
    CareyT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No matter what the charts say, if you feel like you need/want to lose some weight, you should. You can be fit and overweight, even obese, but it is certainly better to be fit and a little less heavy. It's easier on your heart, your knees, your veins... everything. And you will probably be happier about the way you look. So, who cares what the scale says? Lose weight for yourself until you feel happy with how you feel and how you look. Whatever that number is, it's going to be right for you and not what some chart tells you.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well you could be thin as a rake and be reallu unfit, unhealthy and not be able to walk up the stairs without being out of breath.

It's good that you are so active and you find exercising a breeze, it'll mean that any weight you want to loose with drop off quicker.

They say mucle weighs more than fat, so if you think you don't look obese, then maybe you are mostly muscly. I'm sure it's not good on your heart and other organs to have to carry that much weight on such a small frame though.

I am classed as overweight, and I didn't really feel that way. I am 5' 2" and started off on here at 162.2 lbs. I guess it depends where the weight is, wether of not you look overweight/obese. My weight is on my hips and thighs, and people have told me I don't need to lose weight...but I do.
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    As a former college rugby player, I totally sympathize with your post. I am 5'1" and just naturally build muscle easily (especially in my legs!). Your sport is a great way to stay in shape, just be sure to fuel yourself with good foods. I made the mistake in college of thinking that hard practice meant that I had earned a large pizza. All to myself. Yikes! Plus, if memory serves, rugby culture involves lots and lots of BEER. A couple brews at the pitch after a game is no big deal, but watch the binge drinking (and issue for college students, anyway). Also, I'm discovering that BMI isn't so great for bods like ours...

Good luck and keep scrumin'! =)
  • katattack
    Options
    Go get a body-composition reading done at a gym or nutritionist's! It's a scale that also assesses where that # is coming from. That way, you'll be able to see what % of your body weight is actually composed of fat, what is muscle, water, other matter, etc
  • pcaseyco
    Options
    According to BMI Michael Jordan is considered overweight at 6'6" and 216 pounds, Mel Gibson is considered Obese at 5'9" and 214 pounds - the BMI doesn't take enough into account to really be accurate for everyone. I agree with Katattack, do the body composition and forget about BMI. I'm sure they aren't as accurate but you can by a scale at your local supercenter that will give you the body composition makeup, I paid about $15 for mine.

Also, don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'm (almost) 5'4" and I'm well into the "obese" category as well. My goal weight still leaves me in the "overweight" category of the BMI chart. I think some of us just don't fit into the box, and that's fine. But, be honest with yourself. I'm obese (very obese, even) at 5'4" and 216 -- though I don't have any fat rolls or like gobs of fat hanging from me, I am certainly carrying extra fat around and every extra pound puts a strain on my joints, heart, and lungs.

The O word has a huge stigma attached to it. There's a difference between "obesity" and "MORBID obesity," which is what most of us think when we hear "obese" (I actually just dropped out of the "morbidly obese" category about 20 pounds ago). I started running this past November -- you don't think of a severely "obese" person being able to run 3 miles straight, do you? But I can. The fact that I can run, however, still doesn't mean I'm not carrying around extra weight. It doesn't mean I'm not obese. And, it doesn't mean I don't have increased health risks due to my size. So, I'm working on it.
  • lovemyboys27
    Options
    I am the same way, although I'm 5'7", I am big-boned and have a lot of muscle (hiding under the chub LOL).
    At my smallest I was a size 7-9 and I was 170lbs. I was really skinny, in fact some people were saying "don't lose any more weight, you're wasting away!" but I was still 170, which is a high number. My goal weight for now is 180 since I've had kids, I doubt I'll be able to get as low as when I was in my teens.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    As several people have said, BMI doesn't give you the whole picture. Just like weight doesn't either. SHBoss1673 has put together a fitness calculator, using knowlege he's gained through research for certification and just because he wanted to know, that takes into account several factors. Here is a link to it: http://healthcalc.harehome.org/php_tests/login.php If you don't know one of the numbers it asks for, just leave it blank. It will just use the average for your height/weight/gender. Not quite as accurate that way, but it still gives you a general idea. Plug in your numbers and see what it says, it may make you feel better. Then plug in your goal numbers to see what it would be when you reach your goal. Which do you like better? I liked my goal numbers better!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    As several people have said, BMI doesn't give you the whole picture. Just like weight doesn't either. SHBoss1673 has put together a fitness calculator, using knowlege he's gained through research for certification and just because he wanted to know, that takes into account several factors. Here is a link to it: http://healthcalc.harehome.org/php_tests/login.php If you don't know one of the numbers it asks for, just leave it blank. It will just use the average for your height/weight/gender. Not quite as accurate that way, but it still gives you a general idea. Plug in your numbers and see what it says, it may make you feel better. Then plug in your goal numbers to see what it would be when you reach your goal. Which do you like better? I liked my goal numbers better!

Hey, it made me feel better. I was a 10 -- "Athletic (good) health" :smile:
    But the thing is, if I keep up the lifestyle I've had for the last 5 months, I won't weigh as much as I do. So, I know that's why even though I'm "obese," I'm in much better shape than many people who weigh much less than I do.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm 4'11" and considered very obese according to the BMI chart. I have been athletic all of my life; competitive figure skater for 23 years, ice hockey player for 13 years, competitive swimmer for 12 years, and went through intensive weight/cardio training to prepare for the Fire Academy 10 years ago. I still have quite a bit of muscle on me. Yes, I gained about 40lbs of chub over the past 10 years, but have so far lost 10lbs of it. When I got on the scale at the Doctor's office, it read 185lbs and the Doc was shocked. I totally do not look like I weighed that much. When I was 21, I weighed 115lbs which is considered normal on the BMI chart. I looked terrible!!! All of my bones were sticking out, I was deathly pale, and wore a size 4. But, I was unhealthy.

I personally cannot stand the BMI chart. Everyone's body is made up differently. Those charts just do not take into account that many women (and men) are very athletic, have denser bones, and more muscle mass. My goal weight is 140lbs and even that is considered overweight/obese on the BMI, but that is a weight that I know is healthy for me and that I look the best at.

So, don't feel bad and keep playing rugby!!! Awesome sport!
  • gafubba
    gafubba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much... it's really good to know that I'm not the only one struggling!