Taking time off from exercise...

Options
Good morning! I have a question. I have been using MyFitnessPal for seven months now with much success. I have lost 83 pounds and I have a little less than 10 more to go (I only weigh once a month so I am not sure how much exactly). I am really getting into working out and becoming fit and for the first time in my life, I am actually starting to enjoy it. Here is my dilemma: I have a medical issue that seems as though is not going away because working out is aggravating it. One part of me knows that I should take some time off of working out and let this thing heal, but the other part of me doesn't want to ruin all the progress that I have made. I feel more in shape than I probably have ever felt in my whole life and I know that if I take a week or so off of exercising it is going to set me back. I was shooting to make my goal weight by Oct. 18th (my nephew's birthday). I know that weight loss can be done with diet alone, but I would like to do as much as I can to still try and make my goal. Without going into too much detail, my medical issue is a below the belt situation. What do you guys think I should do? Should I stop being so obsessive and just lay off? Should I try to just do some upper body weight lifting and abs? I plan on trying to eat super extra clean until I can work out like I want to again and hopefully that will help. What else would you recommend if you were in my situation? I appreciate any advice and hopefully I figure out something that is going to work for me!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Medical issues ALWAYS take priority.

Taking time off will only set you back a tiny bit. You'll quickly get back into it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Guess what? If you are working your muscles beyond their endurance, then your body will burn calories to repair those muscles. In order to do that, you MUST have some rest days. I only do cardio three days per week, with a rest day in between, then an extra rest day on Sunday. Now if I jog for cardio, I might do some strength training of my arm muscles (push-ups, planks) on my rest day, but I let my legs rest!

Rest days are just as important as workout days. And working your muscles too much could lead to an injury that has you in bed or on crutches for weeks. It may seem counter-intuitive to your brain, but it works.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Medical issues ALWAYS take priority.

Taking time off will only set you back a tiny bit. You'll quickly get back into it.

And this is SO true.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Are there exercises you can continue without aggravating the situation?
    I have had to adapt over time as some conditions I have can no longer tolerate certain movements or impact.
    Do what you can, but always put your health first.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I had a stress fracture and couldn't run, shouldn't walk and could only do seated upper body strength training or biking, I took most of about a month off from exercise and logging my food. I figured, worst case scenario, if I ate 500 calories OVER maintenance each and every day, I'd gain 4 pounds in a month. And I knew that once I was able to exercise again, I could easily take anything I gained off again. So that's what I did... and I gained one whole whopping pound. It was worth it to give myself a break, physically and mentally.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself ..... "working out is aggravating it" ...... so stop aggravating the situation & give yourself time to heal ......

Common sense rules :drinker:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I have a question. I have been using MyFitnessPal for seven months now with much success. I have lost 83 pounds and I have a little less than 10 more to go (I only weigh once a month so I am not sure how much exactly). I am really getting into working out and becoming fit and for the first time in my life, I am actually starting to enjoy it. Here is my dilemma: I have a medical issue that seems as though is not going away because working out is aggravating it. One part of me knows that I should take some time off of working out and let this thing heal, but the other part of me doesn't want to ruin all the progress that I have made. I feel more in shape than I probably have ever felt in my whole life and I know that if I take a week or so off of exercising it is going to set me back. I was shooting to make my goal weight by Oct. 18th (my nephew's birthday). I know that weight loss can be done with diet alone, but I would like to do as much as I can to still try and make my goal. Without going into too much detail, my medical issue is a below the belt situation. What do you guys think I should do? Should I stop being so obsessive and just lay off? Should I try to just do some upper body weight lifting and abs? I plan on trying to eat super extra clean until I can work out like I want to again and hopefully that will help. What else would you recommend if you were in my situation? I appreciate any advice and hopefully I figure out something that is going to work for me!

First of all medical issues and health ALWAYS take priority.

Second, if you can't work out all you have to do is eat less.

Eat less to lose
    Exercise to maintain or gain lean body mass.

It IS that simple.
  • joshd1974
    joshd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Taking a week off of exercise every once in a while is actually good for you.
    You could always just walk if that is ok. It is exercise too.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I feel for you because I know I'd be the same way. Honestly though I think you should take the time to heal properly. If you can safely do upper body stuff I'd continue to do that, but only if it's not aggravating the issue. I really don't think the break will set you back much if any at all and when you are healed, you will probably be able to do more effective workouts anyway.
  • I feel your pain :frown: I am a runner and I currently have a sprained ankle. I have doing my best to stay off it while it heals and have done a couple of core strength/ abs classes at the gym (after letting the instructor know of my ankle so she can suggest any necessary modifications- like when the class planks, I plank on my knees, etc.). I have also been putting in a little time on the weight bench each day, doing seated arm exercises. If you can swim, swimming may be something that doesn't aggravate your injury.

So, yeah, it sucks, but I agree with what has been said- don't strain your injury, let it heal, otherwise you will be out of commission much longer...and you have lost so much weight already, if you gain a pound or two...well, at this point you know you can lose it!
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I knew I should lay off to fix my problem, but I was feeling so guilty about that situation that I needed the reassurance. I like all the advice. Keep it coming!
  • BeingWiser
    Options
    I did a bootcamp at least 3 days a week since DEC 2011. Then I took July/Aug (two months) off ...just needed a break. At first I planned to lose weight then, I just set a goal to maintain. I start back up the 1st of this month with diet and bootcamp. I think not only did my body benefit from the break but mentally it was GREAT. This a lifetime journey!