Midnight buffets and 24-hour room service... Save me!

Options
The good news: the fam and I leave on Monday for a 5-day Caribbean cruise. Woo hoo! :happy:
The bad news: the fam and I leave Monday for a 5-day Caribbean cruise. Oh $h!t! :ohwell:

My goal: I have had a totally freakin awesome first three weeks and I am in a good routine with eating clean and monitoring portion sizes. I know that this trip will be a big break from my routine. In the past, those are the things that have made me completely abandon any lifestyle changes. BUT NOT THIS TIME!

THIS TIME: I will eat smart when I am on vacation, and I will STILL eat smart when I get home.

Right? RIGHT!

right? :ohwell:

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Enjoy your trip.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yes you will! I've never been on a Carribean Cruise (or any cruise for that matter) but I think they may have a fitness center, or at least a pool to workout in just in case you fall victim to the midnight buffet. Hope you have a wonderful trip! =)
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't set yourself up for failure. I leave for an all-inclusive resort in 3 weeks and I know, for that week, I'll eat decently when I can but how often am I on vacation?
  • sadein
    Options
    I've always wondered about how much weight I could gain on a cruise! I figured I'd have to pack all of my stretchy clothes.

Make a plan. Maybe try to fill up on salad, fruits and veggies before you hit the more fattening items. Eat slowly, talk to interesting people while eating. Don't deny yourself completely, give yourself permission to try some of the more temping items. Most of all, when you get back don't beat yourself up if you gained a couple of pounds, just jump back into your healthy eating plan.

Just have fun, don't ruin a wonderful vacation obsessing about food.
  • jules1202
    Options
    We are a week behind you cruising on Oct 8th for 5 days. :) The cruise critic forum site has a number of posts with good suggestions also and even has a board for weight loss

Here are a few suggestions:
    Eat in the main dining room not the buffet (alot more fast food in the buffet and its easier to overfill your plate; also food comes in sections in the MDR vs all at once in a buffet so you have time to feel full)
    Drink plenty of water before your meals and throughout the day
    Avoid the elevator and take the stairs
    Visit the gym on the ship
    Plan excursions that include physical activities (walking tours, kayaking, etc) - I usually burn lots of calories doing fun active excursions on cruise
    Think of it from an Eat This not That mindframe and maybe get the light beer instead of the regular for instance
    You can eat well and enjoy your vacation without overindulging.

Have a great time! :)
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I am not a supporter of the "Cheat" days, but as someone who has been on a cruise I would say to eat small portions of whatever you want and hit the pool and swim as much as possible. It is a seldom occasion to go on a cruise (well for most of us) and you should not stress yourself out about specific calories. Just remember smaller portions and get as much exercise as you can whil having fun!
  • jules1202
    Options
    Yes you will! I've never been on a Carribean Cruise (or any cruise for that matter) but I think they may have a fitness center, or at least a pool to workout in just in case you fall victim to the midnight buffet. Hope you have a wonderful trip! =)

Yep, most ships (at least Carnival and Royal Carib) have gyms. Even better they have big windows that let you look at the ocean while you work out. :) Most ships also have exercise classes too (some for free and some have a fee)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Disney Cruise had the midnight sweets buffet. It was the only cheat we did on that trip. So completely worth it. Ate back the calories from Snorkeling and walking all day.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Sure you can !

I've been on several cruises ....... I did NOT make a pig of myself ....... but I enjoyed whatever food I wanted because I exercised each day ....... the ship had a track on the top deck & I walked a mile or two every sunrise ...... used the fitness center with my husband ...... went swimming with my sister ...... not to mention all the walking we did at each stop .....

Have a great time :drinker:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on my last cruise. It was an Alaskan cruise so the scenery was spectacular. I spent most of my time walking around the track on the deck enjoying the scenery and I always took the stairs. It helps to fill up on veggies and fruit and avoid the breads and sweets. I did allow myself one sugar free dessert at dinner.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    You'll be fine! Sounds like you have the right attitude going into it!

Just be aware... you will overeat. BUT the great things is it is only temporary!!! Any weight gain you see when you get back will be mostly water weight from the salty sea air, extra desserts and salty foods (and possibly alcoholic bevvies) that you enjoy while on vacation. Within a couple of days of returning, and getting back to your healthy routine you'll drop that water weight and everything will carry-on as it was before the vacation. Except you'll have a tan. :)

Best piece of advice I can give you: Just enjoy yourself!!! If that means eating dessert every night, do it! Balance it out by having yummy fruits for breakfast, and maybe a salad for lunch one or 2 days. But the food is what you're paying for on a cruise, so you might as well take the opportunity. It's 5 days!

Oh, and when i go on a cruise the rule is NO ELEVATOR for the whole time. So I'm at least climbing the stairs a few times a day. :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I went on my cruises (2) I mostly drank my calories. The hangovers pretty much made breakfast an impossibility, only made it to breakfast on the last day, otherwise I was in bed.

Some hints:
    If you tip in cash on top of your 15% fee, you will get awesome service. If you only tip the required 15%, you'll probably have to wait in line for all services outside of the dining room.

Try to eat in port whenever possible. Local and ethnic cuisine is best experienced locally.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So I love cruises. LOVE. I lost 5 pounds on my last cruise! You can do it. Here's what I did:
    1. Wonderful fresh fruit for breakfast with a yogurt and an english muffin
    2. I worked out in the gym on the elliptical for about 45 minutes every day while I stared out at the ocean. When I didn't go to the gym I walked around the outdoor walking track on top of the ship. It's so peaceful!
    3. Skip the midnight buffet. Be asleep so you can fully enjoy your next day!
    4. I had dessert every.single.night. Choclate melting cake? yes please!!!! The portions for dinner are pretty small/correctly portioned.

Just have fun. Even if you gain a little bit of weight you will get back and begin again. ENJOY yourself!
  • margeb102
    Options
    went on 62 day cruise in 2010 actually lost 6 lbs. very active cruise and shore excursions. ate most meals in dr and some room service breakfast. room service ordered cereal. skim milk and fruit.

2011 did 65 days and gained 4-5 lbs. not quite as active excursions and a little nore alcohol. bad infuences. lol lost it within 2 weeks of returning.

in jan am doing 115 day world cruise and am a little nervous about food. but plan is dr eating and good room service breakfast. mostly salads for lunch and use of the pools. some adventurous side trips.

you can do it. make sure what you eat is enjoyable and worth the calories to you. and back to your regular plan when you get home.
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the great responses and wonderful suggestions. I do plan to (reasonably) enjoy myself while on this trip. We have 2 full days at sea and I figure that is a great time to make use of the ship's gym and walking track. I'm planning to eat a little bit of everything I want. That way I won't obsess over thinking that I have to choose the PERFECT dessert because I'm only going to have this one thing so it has to be great and what if I make the wrong choice and then I've blown my only dessert night and wah wah wah. Instead I'll just take one bite of everybody else's dessert and then I will get to taste at least 3 things.

My biggest fear is not getting back on plan when I get home. So if you don't see me around by Sunday, October 7 then somebody needs to come find me and drag me back to mfp! :)

Thanks again for the support!
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh... the other good thing is that I don't own a scale. I only weigh once a month at the doctor's office, and I haven't had my first weigh-in since starting to lose weight. I don't go to the doctor until the 17th, almost 2 weeks after my cruise ends. So, theoretically I shouldn't see a jump in the scale from the cruise.
  • sadein
    Options
    Oh... the other good thing is that I don't own a scale. I only weigh once a month at the doctor's office, and I haven't had my first weigh-in since starting to lose weight. I don't go to the doctor until the 17th, almost 2 weeks after my cruise ends. So, theoretically I shouldn't see a jump in the scale from the cruise.

Perfect! I don't own a scale either, they make me crazy. I plan on weighing at the gym next week. From reading your posts, you sound like you've got a pretty good attitude. Just don't make me come looking for you when you get back.

Have fun!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Right! Have fun...but not too much fun :)
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation for 10 days.....2 days in seattle and a 7 day alaskan cruise....didn't gain any weight. Never ever take the elevator on the cruise. Make use of the gym. Walk on your excursions (we did a 3 hour kayak trip). and my cruise did not have a midnight buffet and I never utilized room service.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular cruiser - along with taking the stairs and all of the suggestions by Jules, I can offer up one more -

If you taste something and it isn't GLORIOUS, don't finish it. I have learned to throw away many desserts that don't 100% do it for me.