Ladies only...that dreaded time of month

Options
I have stayed within my calorie goals the past two weeks and been eating really clean food. This past two days I've been craving salty, and that TOM is due in two days...I got on the scale this morning and was up 3 pounds!!! I know my sodium consumption was up and water consumption was not as much as I usually do.

Have any of you ladies experienced this much of an increase during that time of month? Maybe I'm only noticing now because I'm trying to lose a few pounds?

Replies

• adelitas_star
    Options
    That's exactly how much I gain almost every period from the bloating. I was scared to step on it one day and find myself three pounds heavier, but then after my monthly was over, I stepped on it and my weight was fine. Weight fluctuates, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially now!
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it happens to me too, I usually gain 2-4.5lbs of water weight what I hate it's that my stomach looks huuuuge and it makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. I usually try not to meaurse or weight myself cause it sometimes get me down hahah, but just remember it's just for a few days! :)

and the carvings sucks!! i get them too but mostly of cookies, try to eat just a little of what you are carving or it will be worse and you might end up bingeing, at least that works for me
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. Had the cravings, ate consistently, ankles swelled up, gained a few pounds for about 5 or 6 days, and then back down again after TOM was done. If you're doing the right thing, then it will work itself out.

Quick observation - when I was not trying to control my eating habits I didn't really every pay attention to what I gained or lost once a month. It's only now that I am trying to lose that I actually pay attention, but trying not to stress out about a few pounds. It's the big picture.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes...always an increase. That said, when I was losing more regularly (pretty much maintaining now) I noticed if I was REALLY strong and didn't give into the cravings for salt & sweets during my period that I would not only lose the bloat pounds, but an additional pound or two! Stay strong.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't have a period. I get the depo shot....it is a MUST!!!
  • xcarbonix
    Options
    It's currently that TMO for me and while I've seen no gain in my scale... I've also seen no loss on the scale or inches even though I've worked really hard the past two weeks. It's frustrating. I'm hoping TMO is to be blamed but we shall have to wait and see! It's a convenient "feel better" excuse for now!
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    it happens to me too, I usually gain 2-4.5lbs of water weight what I hate it's that my stomach looks huuuuge and it makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. I usually try not to meaurse or weight myself cause it sometimes get me down hahah, but just remember it's just for a few days! :)

and the carvings sucks!! i get them too but mostly of cookies, try to eat just a little of what you are carving or it will be worse and you might end up bingeing, at least that works for me

Who in the world is sending you bad carvings around TOM? Did you sign up for them? And why would you want to eat a carving? I don't think wood tastes very good...on the other hand, it's prolly low carb... ;)
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I definately do!! I won't even weigh myself during my time. I'm sure I'll be up 2-4 lbs. I have to report however, that was I lose the weight (only 6lbs so far, but I can feel it), eat clean and keep up with activities, the bloating is less pronounced and uncomfortable. I also try to pound the water all week.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I gain a few days before. I even tried to force myself to ignore the cravings, and stick to a very healthy intake... I STILL gained 3 pounds (instead of the 4-5 I was gaining). I don't do that anymore.. it's miserable, I answer cravings in moderation now. AND afterwards, I drop the weight, and usually end up about a pound under where I was before I gained the few.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't have a period. I get the depo shot....it is a MUST!!!

not necessarily; I put on three stone in as many months when I had that! It doesn't suit everyone.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    This is halving to me right now but I refuse to step n the scales ur body collects a lot of water around that awful day hah just weight urself a few days after ur all sorted an ull b fine. I feel like the elephant and the min :( hate being a lady at times x
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    Hi...this totally happens to me as well...3-4 lbs gain during tom. It's normal...
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    Oh yeah, we're all in that boat. It's normal to gain weight during your TOM, some people only gain a couple of pounds, while others gain more. I've gained almost 10 pounds before when it's my TOM. If I have super bad cravings, sometimes I'll give in, or I'll eat something else, something healthy that gets my mind off of it. Just depends on what the craving is and how bad it is to be honest.

Oh and Depo isn't a must for some people. I'm currently on it and while I love the convenience of not having to take a pill everyday, the side effects just aren't worth it anymore. Hence why I'm getting off of it in a couple weeks and changing.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Women get it all the time. Of course each of our bodies react differently, but I just avoid the scale those few days and drink water and workout. I just go about my business and things get back to normal once it's over.
  • flannelbug
    flannelbug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've gained upwards of 5-9 pounds right before, but mine are irregular (every five months if I'm unlucky) and the weight doesn't stay. Everything in moderation, drink plenty of water, and indulge in large doses of self love.
  • Armyx2
    Armyx2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to only have day long periods before I started the Pill. Since the Pill, I get cramps, am bloated, and notice my mood changes. The good thing about that pesky little pack is that I can plan for the now dreaded time. About a week before, I up my cardio and reduce my sodium intake. I find it is all about preparation. I now have gotten the length of my period down to 2.5 days. Not as good as my old 1 day, no symptoms TOM but I'll take it. Working out more before and certainly after makes sure my scale doesn't fluctuate much.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    dont even weigh yourself; things fluctuate so much that its just going to make you upset :)
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I dunno...I've always gained way more when I miss a period then when I get one. I have missed a period twice and gained about 30lbs each time:)...lol
    Please excuse this idiotic response. I am bored:)
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    Same here, gained exactly 3 pounds, kept eating well, and 2 days later I'm back down to my original weight.
  • mspsogotte
    mspsogotte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, my cycle is unpredictable but when i find myself craving ice cream, chips and chocolate covered nuts, i know its a few days away. So for a week and a half i have one of those sweets a day just to keep it at bay. The trick is give yourself just a taste so that the craving goes away. When you deprive yourself, you tend to overeat when you do let yourself have a treat. All the best and you are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!