Calorie Deficit Every day - Excercising but not losing any w

Options
Please help! I am in a calorie deficit 6 days a week - I am exercising 6 days a week - cardio and strength but I am not losing any weight - I lost about 20 pounds and now for the past month I haven't lost a thing - what am i doing wrong?

Replies

• scagle4008
    Options
    You may be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Are you taking your measurements to see if there may be a change there?
  • ambercole
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have lost 24 pounds and was dieting and running everyday. 2 weeks ago I started p90x and I have gained 4 pounds. I know that everyone is going to say " muscle weighs more than fat" and blah blah blah, but my dr. griped at me yesterday because he said working out should not make you gain weight unless your body building and lifting insaine amounts of weight and he said that I still should be losing. I know that it is not from over or under eating because I strictly count my calories everyday, and drink PLENTY of water, and I wear a hrm so I know that my calories burned are accurate. And YES I am eating my exercise calories.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    First of all, muscle never, ever, e-v-e-r weighs more than fat. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound!

BUT, muscle is more dense than fat. That's why you can have two people who weigh the same, but have a different body fat percentage, and look nothing alike. Simply, muscle takes up less space. So, if your clothes are getting looser, yet the scale is sitting still, you may be gaining muscle. But, don't worry, you're not going to gain 10 pounds of muscle in a month. It's just not that easy.

I think I may be in the same boat. My clothes are fitting better, yet my scale is stuck. This morning, I actually stepped on the scale before eating anything and it was up four pounds. I am hoping that is water weight; last night I had some canned tomatoes that were too high in sodium for my liking, but very yummy! I'm starting my day with 32 oz. of water and hoping some of this weight goes away. :flowerforyou:
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    How big of a calorie deficit are we talking? You already have a calorie defecit built in. You should be eating your target calories every day.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Change it up! Do something different for a while. Try zig zagging calories, try HIIT cardio, try working out in the mornings instead of evenings. Swap out your meals---divide your calories up into 6 meals or, if you're eating 6 now, drop down to 3 meals a day (with the same calories). Try a class...kickboxing, spinning, zumba, dance...anything different than what you're doing now.

Our bodies get used to our routines and adapt to them. Losing weight is not a natural occurance, and our bodies will do everything they can to return to a 'normal' state (ie: status quo). You can often trick your body into losing again by changing your routine.

Also, I've read on competitive bodybuilding sites that it is highly unlikely for someone to build muscle while in a calorie deficit. That it takes a looooong time, a lot of extra nutrition/fuel, and a great deal of effort to increase one's muscle mass. Strengthen, stretch, define....maybe. Create? Not as likely.

One more thing, according to some of the stickies on these forums, the last 10 pounds is the hardest. The calorie deficit should be much less during those last few pounds than during the main weight loss period. Might try eating more.
  • acoursey1445
    Options
    You may want to try a plateau breaker. Eat one orange and two eggs for breakfast. Lunch, dinner and snacks eat only chicken and raw green veggies (expect peas). If your making salad use only oil and vinegar, or fat free Italian dressing. You can substitute chicken with beef or lamb, however don’t mix it up, choose one and stick to it. You can do this for up to three days. I wouldn’t go any longer than three days.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I am leaning toward not eating enough. The last 10 pounds are typically the hardest to lose. The recomendation I've seen from some members (whom have research to back up their statements) is to lower your MFP created deficit. So if you are set to lose 1lb per week, change it to .5lb per week. That also helps prevent "shock" weight gain when you switch to maintenance calories.

That all aside, MFP creates a deficit for you when you select how much you want to lose per week. If you are exercising and not eating those calories back, you are increasing that deficit. Your body may not like that large of a deficit, and may be hoarding calories. Not enough to make you gain, but enough to not lose. If it was me, I would eat all the calories MFP gives me for about 2 weeks and see if that works.

Good luck figuring out what will work for you!
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the great advice!!

MFP gives me 1620 calories a day and on average I "gain" 500 - 750 calories a day from exercise (5-6 days a week). But I am only taking in around 1700 calories a day. Is this too low? Should I be taking in the full 2000 - 2300 calories a day? I just don't eat that much.
    Maybe its the water thing - I have not been drinking my usual 100 oz a day like I was. Let me know what y'all think. I am fully enjoying all the exercise and don't plan to cut back and I do a variety of it: eliptical, some running, biking, circuit training, group power, yoga.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat a bit more, could try 1/2 of your exercise calories. Maybe eat more like 1900-2000, and see how that works out? It's a process, just keep trying to find the right formula for YOUR body. Good luck!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

MFP gives me 1620 calories a day and on average I "gain" 500 - 750 calories a day from exercise (5-6 days a week). But I am only taking in around 1700 calories a day. Is this too low? Should I be taking in the full 2000 - 2300 calories a day? I just don't eat that much.
    Maybe its the water thing - I have not been drinking my usual 100 oz a day like I was. Let me know what y'all think. I am fully enjoying all the exercise and don't plan to cut back and I do a variety of it: eliptical, some running, biking, circuit training, group power, yoga.

Think you answered your own question in your response.
    Maybe its the water thing - I have not been drinking my usual 100 oz a day like I was
    Get back on track for drinking water.
    You said your taking in 1700 calories a day, but it could all depend on what kinds of food you are eating as well.
    Sugar, sodium content?
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat a bit more, could try 1/2 of your exercise calories. Maybe eat more like 1900-2000, and see how that works out? It's a process, just keep trying to find the right formula for YOUR body. Good luck!

This is what I was going to say...
  • darman
    Options

Think you answered your own question in your response.
    Maybe its the water thing - I have not been drinking my usual 100 oz a day like I was
    Get back on track for drinking water.
    You said your taking in 1700 calories a day, but it could all depend on what kinds of food you are eating as well.
    Sugar, sodium content?

Yep Peter you are probably right about the water - started back today - as for the food intake - I do pretty well with sugars and sodium- nothing processed and all good stuff for the most part - I take one "free day" a week on Sunday - just need that big Sunday dinner and nap ya' know!!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think you've just hit a plateau...it happens, and the closer you get to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose. The human body is a very efficient energy storage machine. It "likes" having a few pounds extra, to protect against famine. So when you hit that "set point," where your body thinks "Ok, this has gone far enough, we're keeping a little extra," You've really got to push hard to break through that.

You've gotten great advice here...shake up your routine, add a little more exercise, boost your calories a little bit. Get yourself into a patient frame of mind and plan on this last ten taking a little bit longer than the weight you lost before.
  • darman
    Options
    Okay - I changed up the exercise routing some and am ramping it up to 700 cal's a day at least - some days more but never less than that - adding some more calories into breakfast - trying to get in 5-600 calories in that meal - that puts my intake at around 1800 (net) a day giving me a calorie deficit of at least 500 a day - we shall see what happens - thanks to all of you for the excellent advice and encouragement