PROTEIN POWDERS

Options
I have a few questions maybe you guys can help me with:

I am a 130 pound female looking to tone up everything! I don't want to bulk up, but I do want to have a bikini model's body!

I have at least one very intense work out almost every day, each lasting 1-2 hours, both cardio and strength training.

Using a protein powder mix, how much protein should I be drinking after my workouts, and how much before?

Is there a certain kind you recommend?

Thanks, guys! <3

Replies

• waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually use the GNC Amp Wheybolic 60 mixes. Instead of the full 3 scoops, I just use 1 scoop which is 20 grams. It's a little expensive but the smaller bags last a while if you don't work out every day. I've tried several different powders and that seems to work best. 20 grams should be fine for you. Anything else would be overkill.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You just need to reach your overall protein allowance for the day, doesn't matter if you have your shake pre workout or post workout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What strength training are you doing out of intrerest?

And @Hendrix7 is correct in that you just need to look at you target for the whole day and not within the day.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate
    ON Gold Standard, Dymatize Elite, Muscle Pharm Combat Powder best overall products out there

Whey Protein Hydrasalate
    ON Platinum, Dymatize Elite ISO-100 these are a bit more expensive but definitely the best 2 products period

I would use the products as recommended but tailor it accordingly to what is working for you.

I semi-agree with the above posts it is more important to hit your macro intake but I am also a firm believer of using the "anabolic window" to get the most out of your results.
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    These questions depend upon which kind of protein powder you are using as they all have different absorption rates. I strongly recommend you find something other than whey or soy. It's been found that soy is actually toxic to our bodies and we are over-consuming...and whey is not the best either. If you can, get a rice protein powder, or hemp. You also have to worry about the added ingredients, because some powders even have MSG. Ew! Just my two cents.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    These questions depend upon which kind of protein powder you are using as they all have different absorption rates. I strongly recommend you find something other than whey or soy. It's been found that soy is actually toxic to our bodies and we are over-consuming...and whey is not the best either. If you can, get a rice protein powder, or hemp. You also have to worry about the added ingredients, because some powders even have MSG. Ew! Just my two cents.

Could you cite sources as to the toxicity of soy and the issues with whey.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate
    ON Gold Standard, Dymatize Elite, Muscle Pharm Combat Powder best overall products out there

Whey Protein Hydrasalate
    ON Platinum, Dymatize Elite ISO-100 these are a bit more expensive but definitely the best 2 products period

I would use the products as recommended but tailor it accordingly to what is working for you.

I semi-agree with the above posts it is more important to hit your macro intake but I am also a firm believer of using the "anabolic window" to get the most out of your results.

Agreed^^^ And don't worry about "bulking up". If your referring to the women who look like Arnold's sister they usually have to use a form of steriod to bulk up that much and a hell of a lot of heavy weight training. Most women will not acheive that with heavy lifting alone due to not having testoseterone levels like a guy does.

And I use the ON Whey myself twice a day atleast. And no bulking up here.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Could you cite sources as to the toxicity of soy and the issues with with whey.

I could be wrong, but I imagine they are talking about the lectins found in legumes when referring to the "toxins". Personally, I don't ingest them because they increase estrogen production and I am not much a fan... but to each their own. :wink:
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You just need to reach your overall protein allowance for the day, doesn't matter if you have your shake pre workout or post workout.
    yeah...this. it doesnt matter that much the source of ur protein.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist suggested no more than 30g protein in one sitting for females.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    I usually use the GNC Amp Wheybolic 60 mixes. Instead of the full 3 scoops, I just use 1 scoop which is 20 grams. It's a little expensive but the smaller bags last a while if you don't work out every day. I've tried several different powders and that seems to work best. 20 grams should be fine for you. Anything else would be overkill.

Don't buy anything from GNC! lol (ex-manager of 4 years) Their products really are not made that well and you can get a lot of better stuff out there, and for way cheaper too! I agree with another poster that Muscle-Pharm's Combat Powder is probably one of the best powders on the market right now and can be purchased relatively cheap and bodybuilding.com or at prosource.net
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I could be wrong, but I imagine they are talking about the lectins found in legumes when referring to the "toxins". Personally, I don't ingest them because they increase estrogen production and I am not much a fan... but to each their own. :wink:

It all comes down to dosage (I do not use myself fwiw). That does not address the issues with whey either.
  • njitalian
    Options

Yup Agree 100%.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 127lb and I've been strength training for about a month now (30 minutes strength, 40-60 minutes cardio, 6 days/week). I like to still keep my calories relatively low, so I just mix 1 scoop (130 cal, 26g protein) of Body Fortress Chocolate PB Protein Powder with water and crushed ice. Delicious!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yeah...this. it doesnt matter that much the source of ur protein.

I think the source matters to some extent, Protein from bread or rice doesn't have the same amino acid quality as chicken, beef , whey etc. How much of a difference that would actually make I don't know.

If you are not a vegan or lactose intolerant there really isn't any good reason to buy anything other than whey protein, it's the cheapest and best quality.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take any before your workout. You don't want all the blood around your stomach trying to digest the protein, you want it at your muscles, working. Take it after so it can do it's thing repairing the muscles.

http://www.answerfitness.com/211/time-drink-protein-shakes-fitness-nerd/

http://www.bodybuildingsecretslive.com/fitness-tips/when-is-the-best-time-to-consume-protein/
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

It all comes down to dosage (I do not use myself fwiw). That does not address the issues with whey either.

I'm not the one who made the original comment... so I don't really care that I didn't cover whey...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I'm not the one who made the original comment... so I don't really care that I didn't cover whey...

Well, ok then, aren't you the happy bunny today......I was just making a comment as you did try to guess at the soy one.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Whey protein tastes nasty. There's my opinionated, random, completely fact free 2 cents.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

Well, ok then, aren't you the happy bunny today......I was just making a comment as you did try to guess at the soy one.

Yes, I do only try to guess at things. I am not smart enough to understand all the books and articles I have read on the matter so I just pull random tidbits of information out of the air until I form somewhat and a decently articulated response... I was only trying to provide you with an answer as to why someone may not wish to consume soy as the other poster obviously was not answering you. I do apologize however for inconveniencing you, offending you, and obviously wasting your time with my random useless knowledge. Have a splendid weekend.