Couch to 5k day 1

Options
2»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 today. I currently weight 278 pounds. Stick with it and you will reap the rewards but it is not easy.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's a great way to get started with running I Never thought I'd be able to run, and the first day didn't think 60 seconds could last that long!
    Just finished week 6 run 2 and the feeling of finishing them is great! Just bought a lightweight jacket to start running outside (been using a treadmill) Keep it up ,it's definately worth it!
  • jonesbell
    Options
    Where can I find the information for Couch to 5K? I want to try this asap.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Where can I find the information for Couch to 5K? I want to try this asap.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I finished my first day of couch to 5k!!! Feel great and can't wait to run tomorrow also! I also realized that although today was a little tough...it can only get easier! A happy thought :)

couch to 5K is an -awesome- program, I just graduated today and I can't believe how much of a difference it made.

It's worth noting though that you're not supposed to run it two days in a row - as a newbie your body is likely not ready for those stresses. My first month I did Monday/Wednesday/Friday runs :)
  • willothewisp16
    Options
    I've been doing basically couch to 5k for a few weeks and am up to running for a straight 9 mins, walking 1.5 mins then *trying* to run another straight 9. Its amazing to see the difference from when I started! I remember when 1 mins was hard and I was checking my watch every few seconds, now it takes me a few mins before I even think to check my time :)
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow Ill be doing my Week 1, Day 3. Its going fine upto now for me.
  • KforKaress
    KforKaress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just got the app!
    Im starting as soon as I get off work :D
  • blssds1
    blssds1 Posts: 1
    Options
    How are you guys entering it into the exercise section of MFP?
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to sign up for a 5k now. And its looking like it will be at Disney World.. a "Fun Run". I can't wait! Disney also has a half marathon that runs thru all the parks (if I recall correctly) and ends at the Epcot food & wine fest!.. so that is definitely my goal for next year! :happy:

My friend just told me about this half marathon and it sounds SO amazing!! I am also a new runner, so having something like this to work to is such a big motivator!

Keep it up with the C25k and remember - it's okay to go very, very slow at first. At least I had to. You'll be so proud when it's over, though!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I loved c25k! I graduated May 2nd and finished my first 5K on the 8th. Good luck to all of you! If I can do it, you definitely can!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have never run in my life and I'm on week 7 day 2. It's crazy. I'm running 25 minutes straight with 11:19minute mile pace and doing over 2 miles. It works, but you have to push yourself and keep working at it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Well done.

i started this last year and ended up with terrible shin splints ( even though i got running shoes fitted) and have just started up again - just done W1d2.

This time I'm doing Zombie run instead as it maps your run and is a bit more fun.
  • Dancesintherain75
    Options
    I started this week as well and am doing the M/W/F plan and I love it. Don't get me wrong, It's really hard...and I'm totally exhausted, red faced and out of breath when I'm done, but I just pushed through it and the feeling when I finished was awesome. I just felt so good about myself and finishing the run. That good feeling lasted from Monday until today and it's what allowed me to put on the sneakers and head out the door at lunch today knowing that I would be a hot mess again when I was done. The good feeling is well worth pushing through the pain, never mind the physical benefits I'm getting! :o)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. And it will never get any harder than week 1.When I started C25K, around week 4 I looked ahead and it seemed crazy to me what the chart wanted me to do in week 7. But it turns out that the effort it takes for your body to progress from week 6 to week 7 is less than the huge effort it took to start week 1 and continue into week 2. By the time you get to the last few weeks, you will be amazed, really amazed at what you can do.
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6. It is hard, but great! Stick with it
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Today is Week 5 Day 2 for me! 8-minute intervals, woo. Looking forward to it.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 & did week 2 once, then got a massive cold - been ill over a week & still not able to do more than a little walking. Guess I'll have to start at the beginning again when I'm over the wheezing and spluttering :ohwell:

Edited to add - there's a version of the c25k on the nhs website
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

There are free podcasts to download and "Laura" who has a nice British voice tells you when to walk and when to run - or do a "light jog" in the early days. There are tips for beginners and more podcasts for people who have finished the c25k and want to improve further.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I completed W3 This week. It felt so good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!