Flax seed benefits?

Options
I was told to incorporate flax seed into my diet but I am not really sure why.

Does anyone know the benefits of it? Or when/how to use it?

I bought the regular flax seeds. I have ground some of them and added them to a smoothie but that is the only thing I have made.

Thanks!

Replies

• Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Great source of omega-3's and 6's. And even more awesomely, THE FIBER.

Best to buy them whole and grind them yourself. Flaxseed oil lacks the fiber, pre-ground flaxseed lacks the omegas.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd like to know too. I add them to oatmeal because they smell and taste great.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I use it to help with the bathroom--aka lots of fiber
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    my health food store grinds them weekly and sells them that way. I notice I um... go to the bathroom more when I use it in my breakfast. like I can clock it a hour or so after I eat on the days I use it. I am out now, and can tell. That's all I know about them. lol
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, flax seed oil does several things for body builders:

Reduced Body fat
    Enhanced Performance
    Shortened recovery time
    Good source of energy
    Reduced muscle soreness
    Increased utilization of oxygen
    Increased utilization of other nutrients
    Overall better health
    And what do all of those lead to? MORE MUSCLE!

Stolen from flaxseedmd.com
    :wink:
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat the Better Oats instant oatmeal, and the flax seeds in there make the texture really nice. I bet they are high in fiber, but not sure what else is good about them...
  • cootensgirl
    Options
    How do you guys incorporate it into your diet? What do you add it to?
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I usually grind 2tbsp and put it in my protein shake. I eat very low carb, but I imagine those who consume carbs regularly put it in their oatmeal, bake their own bread with it, etc.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    In a peanut butter jelly sandwich :) or shakes
  • barillaelyse
    Options
    Flaxseed is good for your heart! One easy way to incorporate this rich source of fiber into your diet is to substitute Barilla PLUS for your regular pasta, since it's a great source for the ALA omega-3 fatty acids that contribute to a healthy heart and vision. If you are looking for great recipes this one for PLUS Pancetta, Tomatoes and Peas fits the bill. Click here to check it out! http://www.barillaus.com/content/ricetta/plus-penne-pancetta-tomatoes-and-peas.
    - Elyse from the Barilla PLUS team
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I take a Tablespoon of the oil with my breakfast in the morning, it's cinnamon flavored so it's not as bad as it could be. My doctor told me to take it for my ocular rosacea, it helps to prevent dry eyes. I've been taking it with fish oil and I have noticed that I'm much more focused than usual. I've read it can increase concentration and mood so I've experienced that as an added bonus.
    The only concern I have is that the tablespoon I take is 120 calories which ends up putting me over my calories for the day sometimes, but it hasn't really hindered my weight loss.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I add them to my protein shake, sprinkle them over the top of my salads, to my yogurt.... I read that they make a fairly easy bread. I haven't tried it yet. Tonight I am going to make a low carb french silk pie and I am considering adding some to it to see if you can tell.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I take a Tablespoon of the oil with my breakfast in the morning, it's cinnamon flavored so it's not as bad as it could be. My doctor told me to take it for my ocular rosacea, it helps to prevent dry eyes. I've been taking it with fish oil and I have noticed that I'm much more focused than usual. I've read it can increase concentration and mood so I've experienced that as an added bonus.
    The only concern I have is that the tablespoon I take is 120 calories which ends up putting me over my calories for the day sometimes, but it hasn't really hindered my weight loss.

Oh! I need help with dry eyes! I have been eating a teaspoon of chia seeds with my yogurt (along with two tablespoons of oat bran) as my evening snack... perhaps I should try flax seed instead...
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I take a mix pill of fish oil, flax oil and borage oil (whatever that is) for heart health and diabetic control.
  • grannyfranny2
    Options
    I put mine in tuna fish or cottage cheese, and in cereal ! At least 2 TBS a day. It's great for all the above mentioned.:smile:
  • phonypony
    Options
    Definitely for the polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega 3s and 6s). These are good if you replace your saturated fatty acid intake to a higher proportion of unsaturated fats such as olive oil (monounsaturated) and canola (polyunsaturated) as they will improve your lipid profiles (by decreasing bad LDL cholesterol, increasing good HDL cholesterol, and decreasing blood triglyceride levels) and improve your health. The fibre is also good for digestive health though! They are easy to add to anything as they are pretty non-offensive. Add to your PB, in porridge, sandwiches, salads, etc. Sometimes I add ground linseed to soups/soups to thicken them and that works great too!