New Guy looking to get healthy

Options
I am a 58 years old male, 5 ft 11 and my weight has been steadily going up and up to 247 pounds. I now have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I exercise a few times a week but don't do much cardio. My food habits are not horrible and i am paying more attention to what I put in my mouth but I often fail. i have not yet found a substitute to bread for breakfast (2 slices every day) and sandwich for lunch. I am in a lot of trouble with my health and hope that I can learn how to eat better...

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, especially when it comes to the health topic (aside from actual weight loss)

but i understand that you want to change, and i am glad you are taking initiative.

Feel free to add me, and I will try and help as much as possible.

EDIT: Actually came out wrong, I am not an expert of weight loss either, i just have dropped weight lol
  • staci2468
    Options
    Have you ever thought about taking a diabetic education class? It would be really helpful to ya I think. As far as regulating your blood sugar goes its all about counting carbohydrates. For a man you should have about 60g per meal and a couple 15 gram snacks. So you really don't have to cut out the bread just incorporate them into your 60 gram allowance and choose wheat. I hope that helps you a little and good luck!
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Starting here is a good beginning. I think the diabetes class is an excellent idea if you can find one. As far a bread goes, for me anyway I still eat bread I just try to eat wheat bread. Wonder makes an awesome wheat bread that hardly tastes like wheat bread. If you don't care for wheat bread, Sarah Lee makes white bread that has wheat in it. I didn't mean to just focus on the bread. I just have a carb thing. I'm an addict to them. Good Luck to you. It all starts with one step and you've made that step.
  • beths53
    Options
    A nutritionist is a great idea! Also check out the American Diabetes Association website www.diabetes.org they have lots of information there. My husband is diabetic and his doctor made him go to a nutritionist to learn how to control it with diet and exercise so he didn't have to take insulin.
    We are all here ot support you in your journey good luck and holler if you have questions.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me, I do not have diabetes but my father does and before I started watching my calories I tested boderline. I am hoping that will not be the same result at my next health screening.