CrossFit

Options
What is everyones take on crossfit? I have a chance to get a unlimited month pass for $50 bucks and I would be able to hit it after work in the mornings.

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    In before Determinednoob.

They are trying to market crossfit for everyone, but I would disagree. I went to an intro session and one of the women quit early because she didn't enjoy the super intensity. The basic premise is that you should push yourself absolutely as hard as you can. Not everybody wants to work out like that, and if that doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't go.

Also, you have to be careful. Some of the gyms stress time over good form and that can get you seriously injured, so you definitely want to use the month to make sure that the coaches are willing to teach you things that you need to know and you have to be careful.

That said, I have a month trial and as soon as I'm healed from an injury, I do plan to use it and think I will quite like it. I don't know whether I will pay full price for it, but I'll see how the month goes :)
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have done an intro class before and loved it!!!! I always focus on form and who cares about reps is what I think. Well I think I may get it and see how I like it if I do it consistantly.
  • KaitDW
    KaitDW Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love doing CrossFit. There is something so inspiring about pushing yourself to your absolute limits and realizing you can go farther!

Have fun!
  • julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I find that they sacrifice form and quality for quantity and speed. One way ticket to Snap City.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    In before Determinednoob.

They are trying to market crossfit for everyone, but I would disagree. I went to an intro session and one of the women quit early because she didn't enjoy the super intensity. The basic premise is that you should push yourself absolutely as hard as you can. Not everybody wants to work out like that, and if that doesn't appeal to you, you probably shouldn't go.

Also, you have to be careful. Some of the gyms stress time over good form and that can get you seriously injured, so you definitely want to use the month to make sure that the coaches are willing to teach you things that you need to know and you have to be careful.

That said, I have a month trial and as soon as I'm healed from an injury, I do plan to use it and think I will quite like it. I don't know whether I will pay full price for it, but I'll see how the month goes :)

Lol I saw the thread and thought to myself "Well I guess I need to make my obligitory appearance." Nice job beating me!

I want to stress again what has been said above. Crossfit is dangerous to an extent for anyone in any box. Being already trained\superiorly (real word?) athletic and\or being lucky enough to have one of these mythical good trainers will reduce the risk, but it is still there.

Tell us what your goals are and I guarantee we can find a much safer and less grueling way for you to reach them.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does CrossFit and he loves it. He loves the super-intense nature of the workouts, and he really enjoys challenging himself. From his description, it is a terrific program. I encourage you to give it a try.
  • angusmike
    Options
    Find an activity you can tolerate, that you'll be able to accomplish on a regular basis. If crossfit works for you, fine. I doubt that I'd care for it. I don't like group activities, so I prefer to work solo.
  • JLand918
    Options
    It is too popular right now thus costs too much to even consider doing, I would say just hold off until it dies off then go for it. My opinion is you can pay anywhere from $10-30 a month to go to a good well equipped gym and get same workouts, or pay twice that to workout in a gym that is more like a warehouse with truck tires, climbing ropes and other unusual ways to work your body etc. I personally dont buy into the craze for it right now, I would prefer to get p90x which would get you possibly same results at a lower cost.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    $50 a month unlimited?!?! so cheap! im jealous... i love crossfit- not until i started doing it did i EVER think of spending more than my $30 a month for the 24hour fitness. now i spend 115 happily.