Today, I need some help

Options
So today has been THAT day. Fight with my ex-fiance, I feel like a cow, and my baby just literally pooped all over me. Today is the first time since I started that I really just want to say "screw it", eat myself into a food coma with nachos and mozzarella sticks and just BE the miserable fatty that I feel like.

How do you cope? How do you silence that little voice that says "Eat that nastiness, you deserve it, what's the point anyway"?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You clean up the poop. Have a cry if you want to but don't eat that junk. Plan something else. Can you have a relaxing bath after you get the baby to bed? Something to try to relax and enjoy. Be strong, you can do it!
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It sounds sorta simple but what I do is...STOP. BREATHE. And think...tomorrow is a new day...if I do this today, I'll be sooooo mad at myself for allowing other people or situations that are out of my control to sabotage my goals. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
    Give that baby a kiss and enjoy the beautiful gift that your baby is.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Have a good cry, then put the baby in a baby carrier or a stroller and go for a long walk.

There are so many days like that when you are a parent. A change of scenery often helps with the feeling of being overwhelmed.
  • healthyformeanMona
    Options
    Good for you for reaching out! A sign of a strong woman! Be gentle with yourself and find a different coping skill. If I eat when I have those days, I feel doubly bad about myself, eat more, feel bad, vicious cycle. This will pass, and what is important is how you handle it. You will either build trust in your abilities, or you will regret choices you made, and just have that much farther to go. It's more than the food and weight. It is having a bad day, (and there will be more--but good days too--) and choosing the hard, but better way. You can do it! And on those days where , at least for me, I decide the instant gratification might be worth it, then I will pick myself up and continue on the next day, realizing that the food, for some reason, did not taste as good as I thought it would.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I'm SO sorry to hear what a crappy day you've had... literally. ;-) Isn't it strange how some days go beautifully and smoothly and other days just seem to be "one thing after another"... and not in a good way. As a mom, and now a grandma, I do share your pain.

When I have one of those rotten days when I feel like giving up and eating everything in sight, I find what works best for me is to physically change my location. I usually go out for a quick walk, take the dog out for a bathroom break, anything that gets me OUT of the danger zone (near the fridge or snack cupboard.)

One thing to consider is that if you are a mom to a new baby (which seems entirely possible since you are getting pooped on), you might be experiencing some mild form of postpartum depression. Any kind of depression can lead people to scarf down all the "wrong" foods, not to mention the added pressures that come with having a new baby in the household! Just a thought.

And for what it's worth, you are NOT a "cow"!!! You are a beautiful young woman who has had a very bad day. Tomorrow WILL be better.... just stay strong and keep those long-term goals in mind. :flowerforyou:
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice! I've stopped feeling sorry for myself, kissed the baby (who is now happily playing in a jumparoo), while I sit here in a bra and panties (cow or no cow haha) and plan my workout for tonight. I was going to take today "off" but I think a heavy workout will do some good tonight.

Thank you guys.. really. Single mom, (both newly single and newly a mother) and it gets lonely, overwhelming, and a little hopeless feeling from time to time. So thank you for responding to a desperate stranger.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IF you eat yourself into a food coma you will just feel worse when you come out of it and be like "what the hell was I thinking" Been there done that...sounds tempting but after you do it you are like - damn that was a bad F'ing idea!!

How about doing this - if you have time - instead of letting your ex and everything bum you out turn into energy and go shred some HIIT sprints or grab some weights and just bang out some sets. I guarantee you will feel better and then you can reward yourself with a chocolate protein shake that tastes like dessert..!

Damn I should charge for this advice! :)

oh and you are NOT a cow...
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eat that nastiness, you deserve it? Whoa girl. Why do you deserve nastiness. **** happens. So do fights. Get out and go for a walk, get those good endorphins swimming around in your brain and get out of a negative environment. You'll feel better quickly. Empower yourself with positive thoughts and think about how good you'll feel when you stayed on the wagon. You can do it! Punishing yourself is a negative approach to anything. Learn from a mistake and go forward. It's going to happen again sometime so plan a strategy for it. Know your enemy and be prepared. Go forward girl! You can do it!
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    I came here, posted, waited thirty minutes, had a protein shake, and went about my day. I did my usual workout (stupid 30 day shred) in my sports bra and panties (which was a surprising motivator) because the baby pooped on today's workout outfit and then some heavy lifting. I still don't feel chipper- but I feel okay with how I handled it and I'm not feeling the guilt I would be feeling if I'd over-indulged in junk food out of self-pity. I've always used food to cope/punish myself/reward myself (messed up that the reward is also the punishment), so this is a big change and a little bit of an NSV. I'll take it. :-)
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and remember what you've achieved......maybe even take a walk in the park and smell the night air. We all have tough days and yes, we all occasionally feel like saying screw it, but the idea of going back to where we stated just can't be an option. You are absolutely going to achieve your goals!
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    Take a deep breath and remember what you've achieved......maybe even take a walk in the park and smell the night air. We all have tough days and yes, we all occasionally feel like saying screw it, but the idea of going back to where we stated just can't be an option. You are absolutely going to achieve your goals!

Thank you :-) And I would take a walk in the night air but I have the mini-munchkin. So I'll settle for a long walk around the neighborhood pushing the stroller (which he thoroughly enjoys) tomorrow. That whole "screw it" thing is an old demon that likes to sneak up on me- I have to remember every drop of sweat and every step I took in the right direction to shove it back to the abyss of NEVER again.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful. Remember this. Also remember this..... Don't reward yourself with food
    You are not a puppy :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Emile_Jarreau
    Emile_Jarreau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    uh-oh....thats not good and you've already probably figured that out though. Have you ever thought the reverse and decided to get in THE MOST KILLER SHAPE so you're looking crazy good?

Then giving him nothing but a thank you as you date someone else that's less damaging to your self esteem?

Like they say...nothing is better than your personal success for a bit of revenge served on a ice cold platter :)
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    uh-oh....thats not good and you've already probably figured that out though. Have you ever thought the reverse and decided to get in THE MOST KILLER SHAPE so you're looking crazy good?

Then giving him nothing but a thank you as you date someone else that's less damaging to your self esteem?

Like they say...nothing is better than your personal success for a bit of revenge served on a ice cold platter :)

Oh.. revenge is a sexy b****, at least in this case. This is certainly part of my motivation. Don't get me wrong, I'm doing this for ME. But I can't wait to see that stupid look on his face when bikini season comes around and I'm sporting a brazilian cut swimsuit bottom.