Going away this weekend - HELP!

Options
Hey guys, so I'm going to the states with my family this weekend, and since we'll be staying in a hotel, we will likely be eating in restaurants and fast food places. Does any one have any helpful hints and suggestions of what to eat/ not eat without totally going over in calories. Also, I'm from Canada, and there are many restaurants in the states that we don't have. Are there any places you'd recommend over others?

Thanks! & Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Ask for everything on the side... dressing especially! Panera bread is a good option, its a lunch place. Just order grilled not fried when you order anything and the main thing is to watch your portion control. Good luck!

~Leash :heart:
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    where exactly are you going?
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    oh yeah, I guess that would be helpful lol, I'm going to Michigan!
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    I agree everything on the side. Also look up the restaurants in the area surrounding your hotel. Then you can maybe get a look at their menu and most of them have nutritional information. That way you can have in mind what you want to eat. Sounds like a lot of work, but that's what I do when I know I'm going out.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Look for veggies, lean meats, and no sauces. If you have to eat fast food get small portions & skip the soda. And if the hotel you're at has a fitness center, use it. If you get in a good work out it will cushion the extra calorie blow.
  • doyoga
    doyoga Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for your quick responses and great ideas! A lot less anxious now!
  • psyonix
    Options
    Check out http://eatthis.menshealth.com you can go through fast food places and find what the least of the bad will be for you.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Where in the states are you going? Will you be hitting a lot of chain restaurants?

I recommend Au Bon Pain (if you don't have it) and Panera Bread for lunches definitely. Be sure to check out many local restaurants that aren't chains also!

I suggest getting salad with lowfat dressing for a side. Only eat half of the meal and ask for half to go! Drink diet soda/water instead of booze and avoid, avoid, AVOID the bread basket!

Enjoy your trip!