Calorie intake NEED ADVICE

Options
I keep getting different answers to how many calories I should consume each day that is just enough and not too much or too little... I hear 1200 here, 1500 here, 1800 here.... I'M CONFUSED. Please help!?!?!?!

I weigh 205. I'm 5'1 and I'm 24 years old. (female)
I work front dest at a hotel, so I don't get much exercise at work.
I do go to the gym. I started going about 2 weeks ago. I got no less
than 3 times a week no more than 5 for 40 mins- 60mins- each workout.

how many calories should I be consuming?????

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I would say, depending on how quickly you want to lose weight, no less than 1200. Probably closer to 1400. But it is up to you and what you are comfortable with. And this is just my opinion. Whether it is wrong or right... who knows? lol
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone's metabolism is different. Start with the amount this website tells you. Try it for a week. Faithfully. If that is too little food, or you didn't lose weight, then modify it from there.

All the people who are offering advise came about their numbers by trial and error.

I can tell you what works for me but I am an older, menopausal women, who has destroyed my metabolism through years of yoyo dieting. So, you can't use my numbers. Other people may have massive muscle mass or they could be anorexic. Make sense?
  • BRANN80
    BRANN80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes makes perfect sense. Thank you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why not let MFP do it for you. Put in the info you gave us. Write down sedentary as your activity level. Log your exercise. Eat back your calories.

I would suggest starting at a pound a week and see you how you do. Up that if you find it easy and want to lose faster.
  • BRANN80
    Options
    I would, but I don't like that when I put in my exercise it gives me more calories to eat? How does that work if I'm trying to cut down....
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Because your calorie deficit is already built in, and if you exercise, your body will need more energy.
  • BRANN80
    Options
    Well that makes sense.... I feel stupid now haha.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The basics - 3500 calories = 1 lb. So if you cut your calories by 500 daily (work off 250, eat 250 less, for example), you'll lose a pound a week, assuming that you are eating enough that cutting 500/day won't drop you below a minimum needed to stay out of storage/starvation mode. You probably shouldn't cut below 1200. I used to average 800-1000 and couldn't lose an ounce.

That being said, what's most important is increasing your activity level and eating better. Aim for simple and obvious improvements - cut sodas for water. Cut chips (even Wheat Thins, they're still loaded in salt and refined sugar) for fruits and veggies. Instead of a granola bar with chocolate chips, buy the one without. Skinny Cow snacks are healthier than a Snickers, but you'd still be better off with a handful of nuts. If you must stop for fast food, get a salad instead of the double quarter pounder with cheese. Most people don't have to actually eat less to lose weight - just make healthier choices, and that's usually enough to cut the calories needed to lose weight, while reducing the stuff like refined sugars and sodium to a minimum. So focus more on that than on how far to cut your calories.

But if you must calculate numbers - Use a "calories to maintain" calculator like the one at http://www.shapefit.com/dailycalorie-calc.html to see what you'd need to eat to stay right where you are. Mine's 2072. I want to eat less than that so that I can lose weight. Remove the amount per day necessary to lose the amount per week you want. 1 lb = 500/day, 1.5 = 750/day, and 2 lb = 1000/day. I aim for 1.5/week, so 2072-750=1322. Try to stay around your number as a net between diet and exercise.

Good luck!
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also - while MFP gives you more if you exercise to make sure you fuel yourself, I feel that if your goal is 1500 and you eat 1500 but work off 100, you're at 1400 - just an extra, healthy deficit, assuming you aren't hungry and feel fueled enough. I am subjective about whether or not I use the extra calories to eat more.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    To lose on a reasonably regular basis you need to eat more than you BMR = the amount your organs need to function - and less than you TDEE - total daily calorie expenditure.
    If your BMI is 30 or up take a 30% cut from TDEE, if you are 25-30 then take a 20% cut and if your in the normal range than a 5-10% cut from TDEE. Your TDEE includes your BMR + your daily life activities + your exercise burn. Taking a cut from TDEE make it easier - you have a single daily goal since it includes both your daily deficit and your daily exercise burn.

The link below will walk you through the process of finding your number. Give me a shout if you want a double check.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12