A couple food questions.... (sour cream, sauteed veggies, yo

Options
Okay so I'm a big mexican fan! I don't eat meat, but I do use soy meat or beans when I have mexican with some sauteed peppers & onions, and of course the CHEESE & SOUR CREAM! I can go without the cheese sometimes, but I love sour cream. Is there any other option I could use, something that will taste almost the same but be healthier?

Also in this category, how do you know the right amount of calories for sauteed veggies? When I sautee green peppers or onions at home it's a little easier to determine the number of calories I'm eatting, depending on if I'm cooking for myself or for a bunch of people. But I have been getting so many different numbers when I try to find the correct amount of calories for sauteed veggies.

And my last question... plain yogurt! I've tried it & I just can't seem to make myself enjoy it. I do like vanilla yogurt so I try to stick with that, but recently bought what I thought was vanilla yogurt & accidentally grabbed the plain. Anyway I can make this taste better so I don't waste it?

Replies

• lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    try the light sour cream, or you could actually try the plain yogurt! Re: the plain yogurt try adding fruit or honey. Good luck
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Add stevia and some pure vanilla extract, fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
  • acireamos
    acireamos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another trick I have used with the plain yogurt is to drain some of the liquid out. Put it in a strainer lined with cheescloth or a clean dishtowel and let it drain overnight. It becomes thicker and creamier. I do that when I use it instead of sour cream.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    does the plain yogurt taste too much like yogurt when using it as sour cream?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain yogurt either...but I use it in tuna instead of mayo (you'd never know the difference), or you can add it to cold pasta and veggies.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    just wanted to mention be careful with the yogurt if you're a Veg - a lot of yogurts out there have gelatin in them. Be sure to read ingredients to make sure they use pectin instead of gelatin.

That said, I tend to only use plain yogurt when mixing it with something else to replace sour cream. By itsself - it ends up with some berries in a smoothie!!!!
  • chocolatecat
    Options
    When eating Mexican food, Fat free Greek yoghurt tastes just as good as sour cream if a little different... plus, it's fat free!