Single parents, What is your daily schedule?

Options
I work more than full-time and since I am married to a commercial fisherman, I am a single mom from June 15 to Oct 30. I am curious what your typical day looks like and where you fit time in for movement. Right now, I pretty much only work out on the weekends and I try to walk a bit more during the day (park further from the office door, etc.). However, that is not cutting it and despite doing OK on my food intact, I am not losing weight. I would love to see other people's typical day:

6:30 up
get ready
assemble lunches
7:30 drop kid off at before school program
8-6 work (and I must meet with clients all day & especially lunch -- I do not get breaks long enough for gym)
6:30 pick up kid (I've gotta be there before 6:30)
6:30 - 9 Make dinner, homework, kid's cello practice, etc. I do not have a TV and never do movies, etc during the week. NO TIME
9-10 Clean up and get ready for the next day
10-6:30 Sleep

Replies

• 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Maybe while they're doing homework you could do some pilates, yoga or arm weights, or even exercise bands -- some of those things you can do and still help with homework. :smile:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think there comes a point for us moms where we have to say "Ok...I'm putting myself first for once". A LOT of my friends are incredibly unhappy with their bodies........but prioritize their children over themselves. I had the realization that I want to be around for my grandkids. And I want to be a HAPPY mom. And I want to be a HEALTHY mom. And I don't want to model for my daughter that women are supposed to give themselves up for their families.

So.............I work out for an hour almost every day after work. That means there are weekdays where I don't get a ton of time with my kids. There are days when my 13 year old is making dinner for her brothers. There are days when I walk out the door with my 4 year old crying that he'll miss me. But I take that hour. And 8 months later, I not only weight almost 50lbs less but I'm so much happier, I'm healthier, my kids are eating better, my sons want to run, and I feel like my daughter has a good role model.

And when the guilt SUPER gets the best of me, those are the days I get up at 5 am and work out then. Or those are the days I spent the $10 and bring my sons with me to the gym and let them play in the play area while I work out.

And, honestly, that's the same thing with work. Cause, lets be honest...it'll illegal for your work not to let you take a lunch. If you're chosing to work that extra hour, that's your choice. I don't know what you do but whenever this stuff comes up I ask myself "what is my health worth? what's the dollar amount I put on my health and sanity?"

I'm a real single mom of 3. I'm up anywhere from 5 to 7. I work from 7:30 to 5:30. I squeeze in a 30 minute work out mid-day about 3 days a week. I work out immediately after work for about an hour, then I come home and clean, make dinner, laundry, etc. Kids are in bed by 8:30 or 9 and I'm in bed by 11.
  • jarrett515
    Options
    I have 4 very young children my oldest is 3 my twins are 2 my youngest is 9 weeks I pop in the zumba fitsness after dinner and put my baby boy in his swing and we dance it out now this is not every night but a simple stroll through the grocery store I strap the baby on me and carrying him around burns calories also
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think there comes a point for us moms where we have to say "Ok...I'm putting myself first for once". A LOT of my friends are incredibly unhappy with their bodies........but prioritize their children over themselves. I had the realization that I want to be around for my grandkids. And I want to be a HAPPY mom. And I want to be a HEALTHY mom. And I don't want to model for my daughter that women are supposed to give themselves up for their families.

So.............I work out for an hour almost every day after work. That means there are weekdays where I don't get a ton of time with my kids. There are days when my 13 year old is making dinner for her brothers. There are days when I walk out the door with my 4 year old crying that he'll miss me. But I take that hour. And 8 months later, I not only weight almost 50lbs less but I'm so much happier, I'm healthier, my kids are eating better, my sons want to run, and I feel like my daughter has a good role model.

And when the guilt SUPER gets the best of me, those are the days I get up at 5 am and work out then. Or those are the days I spent the $10 and bring my sons with me to the gym and let them play in the play area while I work out.

And, honestly, that's the same thing with work. Cause, lets be honest...it'll illegal for your work not to let you take a lunch. If you're chosing to work that extra hour, that's your choice. I don't know what you do but whenever this stuff comes up I ask myself "what is my health worth? what's the dollar amount I put on my health and sanity?"

I'm a real single mom of 3. I'm up anywhere from 5 to 7. I work from 7:30 to 5:30. I squeeze in a 30 minute work out mid-day about 3 days a week. I work out immediately after work for about an hour, then I come home and clean, make dinner, laundry, etc. Kids are in bed by 8:30 or 9 and I'm in bed by 11.

Seriously, this girl is my hero. :)
  • h2oophelia
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I admit I struggle making time for exercise. That's something that's a constant struggle for me.

This is what my work week looks like

5:30am - exercise - I usually do Turbo Jam or yoga but at the present time I am having a pulling myself out of bed!! It's a psychological battle. But I always feel sooooo much better when I get it done!
    6:30am - get ready for work, run dishwasher, pack lunches
    8:00am - out the door and drop off the kiddo at the before school program
    8:30am - 4:30pm - work
    -M/W/F I squeeze in a brisk 15 minute walk on my break. I have a friend/co-worker that goes with me and it's always a highlight of the day.
    5:00pm - pick up kiddo at the after school program then ballet or soccer depending on the day
    7:00pm - fix dinner throw a load of laundry in the wash. DD does homework while I'm fixing dinner.
    8:00pm - relax while DD is in the shower
    9:00pm - DD in bed
    10:00pm - This is the absolute LATEST I can go to bed with the hope of getting up in time to work out in the morning.

It's all trial and error. The school year can be tough sometimes because of homework, and extracurricular s. I find I have to keep the housework going during the week so I can actually relax on weekends and have fun with DD.

Good luck!!
  • Drea89
    Drea89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Gotta love you!!!

This is what I just experienced.

After having my kiddo I put all my focus into her and just totally let myself go. I gained 50 lbs! Ugh! Anyway, 2 years later, I hit a point were i was just completely unhappy with myself as a whole. My self esteem, ego, confidence and everything else was just SHOT. One day I got an offer to join a 6 wk boot-camp competition. This was my chance!

From that point there was no turning back. Its been 3 weeks I've lost 7-8 lbs and I feel great. I plan to keep up my exercising after the boot camp is over.

I wake up at 5:30am every wkday to go to a 6am 45min bootcamp. Some days are harder than others but I go anyway. Unless I've hurt myself (which has been 2 times)

After that (about 645am-7am) I come home and feed my body with the right post workout smoothie and just hang out for about 30-45 mins (shower, take dogs out, sit down lol). Somewhere in there the kiddo wakes up and I start getting our day started. We are out the house by 8-830 am (she goes to school and i go to school, volunteer, work or a combination of 2 of the 3 depending on the day)

I find that working out first thing in the morning before the kid gets up gives me a chance to do whats good for me. Kinda my hard working "me time"

Between 4-430pm I get her from school. depending on the day I may head to my second job at 6pm (she stays at home with relatives), get home by 10 (she's usually sleeping by 9) and try to be sleep no later than 12 in order to do it all over again the next day.

Mind you in that time, i have to study, clean house, care for 3 dogs ans whatever else. I just know that my 45 min boot camp first thing in the morning makes my day a whole lot better. We are eating better and I make up lost time from the week on the weekends. Lots of moomy and me time

Sometimes you just have to take time for yourself, even with 2 jobs, volunteering, school and a busy 2 yr old. I have to take this time to think about me and nothing else. Even the kiddo.
  • michelleProv
    Options

Gotta love you!!!

This is what I just experienced.

After having my kiddo I put all my focus into her and just totally let myself go. I gained 50 lbs! Ugh! Anyway, 2 years later, I hit a point were i was just completely unhappy with myself as a whole. My self esteem, ego, confidence and everything else was just SHOT. One day I got an offer to join a 6 wk boot-camp competition. This was my chance!

From that point there was no turning back. Its been 3 weeks I've lost 7-8 lbs and I feel great. I plan to keep up my exercising after the boot camp is over.

I wake up at 5:30am every wkday to go to a 6am 45min bootcamp. Some days are harder than others but I go anyway. Unless I've hurt myself (which has been 2 times)

After that (about 645am-7am) I come home and feed my body with the right post workout smoothie and just hang out for about 30-45 mins (shower, take dogs out, sit down lol). Somewhere in there the kiddo wakes up and I start getting our day started. We are out the house by 8-830 am (she goes to school and i go to school, volunteer, work or a combination of 2 of the 3 depending on the day)

I find that working out first thing in the morning before the kid gets up gives me a chance to do whats good for me. Kinda my hard working "me time"

Between 4-430pm I get her from school. depending on the day I may head to my second job at 6pm (she stays at home with relatives), get home by 10 (she's usually sleeping by 9) and try to be sleep no later than 12 in order to do it all over again the next day.

Mind you in that time, i have to study, clean house, care for 3 dogs ans whatever else. I just know that my 45 min boot camp first thing in the morning makes my day a whole lot better. We are eating better and I make up lost time from the week on the weekends. Lots of moomy and me time

Sometimes you just have to take time for yourself, even with 2 jobs, volunteering, school and a busy 2 yr old. I have to take this time to think about me and nothing else. Even the kiddo.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit 2-3 times a week, right after work and before I pick up my daughter from her after-school program. Nights she has cheer practice I'll run or walk the park loop.

She tells me that when she grows up, she wants to be strong like mommy.

That's all I needed to know that taking that time to take care of myself is worth it.
  • michelleProv
    Options
    Ok ladies I am a married mother of two boys 18 and 12 I also have a 4 year old granddaughter friday threw monday. I work monday threw friday 6:45 to 2:45 some days a little later lol I am on my feet so much at work i have a hard time finding energy for my self between running my kids around for work and sports I mall walk while my oldest is working and let my little one play in the game room. This is one of the only routines i seen to fit in with my familys schedule.. I get arrands donr while walking the mall lol