Newbie about to die of hunger!

Options
Now that I have your attention, I'm not really about to die of hunger but it sure does feel like it!

My name is Asiyah and this is my 2nd day of being a member on MFP. I have diligently journaled all my meals and am ashamed to say that it's been a looooong time since I've paid attention to what I eat. It's amazing how many calories I've probably consumed for this reason alone. I think my biggest obstacle is retraining myself to have meals according to my hunger level and not the clock.

Okay...enough about my inner thoughts.

I work a desk job where I really don't move other than to go to the restroom or leave for the day. Sad, isn't it? Not to mention that my favorite hobby is quilting. Double whammy!

I am happily married to the father of our children and have been for the last 8 years. We have 3 dogs, 2 children, 1 love for Jesus and a partridge in a pear tree. Seriously though, my life is full in all aspects of the word and I haven't a complaint in the world (my weight excepted, of course).

Glad to be here and hope to be sharing before/after pics in the near future! :wink:

Asiyah

Replies

• Koryuu
    Koryuu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. Its so easy to eat and not pay attention to how many calories you consume! ^^
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! And good luck on your journey!
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Well.... go get some water! Are you getting enough fiber and protein? Feel free to add me. Starving sucks, but you aren't *literally* starving at least! :wink:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The weight loss will probably be easier if you can exercise a little, if only because it means you can eat a little more. I struggle to only eat when I'm hungry, as well, and I'm in maintenance. Feel free to friend me if you need encouragement, but I also give constructive criticism, so only do so if you are willing to listen to the truth.
  • rsethridge
    rsethridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm still relatively new as well....not technically (I joined a long time ago, but have been very inconsistent as I have 2 boys and a hubby that want nothing but carbs and fried foods). But NOW I'm serious. I'm approaching my 30th bday and it makes me sick to think I will ring in my 30's overweight. So the next best thing is to be working on it...Within 6 months, I plan to be at or close to my goal weight.

Most days I'm not too hungry, but some days I think I'm literally going to die! ...but I don't...I'm still here...

Best of luck to you!! Do your best and stay on MFP daily and I'm sure you can also reach your goals!

Rebecca
  • livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What really helped me through hunger was grazing on lots of green stuff -- raw spinach (splash of vinegar if you can't do raw), celery - and to mix it up carrots. Also, a lot of times when we feel hungry it's actually due to dehydration, so listen to everyone who is suggesting more water.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are not really dying of hunger :laugh: (although, I suspected that wasn't the case before I read your post). Journaling your food is a great start and recognizing what you are feeding your body can be an eye opener. I do find that having a lot of protein and staying away from anything with too high a sugar content (other than natural fruits) along with drinking at least the eight glasses of water does help tremendously. I also, try to start my morning with a good workout. Weird, but it actually seems to help keep my hunger under control for a good part of the day rather than making me ravenous.
    Hang in there and if you would like someone to cheer you on, feel free to friend me. :smile:
  • Asiyah1973
    Asiyah1973 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. I know my 2 areas for improvement are exercise and water consumption. I'm ready for a change and I appreciate your kind words!
  • MercGem
    Options
    Not only water, but also try consume a little more protein (3 - 4 oz. or about the size of your hand ) and fiber. Both will help you feel fuller longer.
  • Sophie3GS
    Options
    I'm sitting here feeling quite hungry for a change - having done fairly well in the last few weeks. Its 1.20am here (UK) so perhaps bed is the best bet! Going on holiday soon and really hoping I can maintain my current high motivation. Will let you know how I got on when I get back. Perhaps I can swim every day and get some additional exercise as I have a very sedentary lifestyle. Putting on a cozzie everyday should keep me to it - not a pretty sight. lol.
  • Sophie3GS
    Options
    Just seen this - good one! I must also learn to drink more during the day as I really do find that helps.
  • sarahdarlinton
    sarahdarlinton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm very new here as well, and i find drinking water before eating a meal helps me eat a little less and I try drinking water if I am hungry and the next meal seems too far away!
    I'm also a mother of 2 and what has worked well for me is to bag up some low cal snacks and keep them handy, cos when i get hungry, thats when i get desperate, and if i'm not prepared.....it gets easier to overeat!
    Good luck!
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm pretty new here too, and my name is Tracy. I am 49, have been married for almost 28 years (anniversary next month), and I have five children; three are grown and two are still at home. I also have two precious granddaughters:) oh...and a Bichon named Bruno. I love Jesus too! Feel free to add me as a friend if you are looking for buddies to share your weight loss journey!
  • EDBracken
    EDBracken Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. The hunger pangs go away and it does get easier!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I hear what you are saying... I am only allowed 1200 calories a day which I think completely sucks. It's a good thing I have to drink so much water because I think that's what stops me from gorging on bs.....
  • wantinganewview
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this! There are some great snacks you can eat that don't add a lot of calories, and you don't have to feel like you're starving. For instance, veggies have lots of fiber that fills you, but very few calories.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm also the same with food. Diet is hard to nail down especially if you love to eat like I do. Add me if you'd like.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Welcome. It can be difficult making the changes, but there are things that can make it easier. First, don't try for 2 pounds a week. There is a reason 1 pound per week is recommended. I would seriously recommend setting that as your goal as it will allow you more calories each day. Second, exercise. Here are Myfitnesspal (MFP) your calorie deficit for the day is figured off the estimated calories you would burn without exercise. That means when you exercise you get to eat the calories you burned at exercise off. At first that may seem weird, wouldn't a larger calorie deficit be better. The problem is long term large calories deficits are detrimental to your weight loss goals slowing metabolism and worse yet having a large portion of your weight loss come from muscle which burns more calories in a day than fat. There is only so much fat a persons body can burn off each day (another reason for recommendation number 1) so eating those exercise calories helps keep you in the moderate calorie deficit, and allows you to eat more which I find enjoyable. Third, focus on seeking to eat higher fiber and higher protein. They can both help you feel fuller. For that matter don't discount fats. So many people try to eat extremely low fat, but fat is needed by your body and helps you feel satisfied by meals. Fat has a lot more calories than carbs or protein, so don't go crazy with it, but don't try to eliminate it either. Fourth, take a starting picture and your measurements. The scale is only a small part of the picture. Often measurements can indicate more about how your body is changing than a scale ever can, so can the pictures and the changes that come. Finally, if you do start exercising, don't neglect strength training. Especially as a beginner, you don't have to go to a gym. You are your own gym. You can find a bunch of great bodyweight exercise programs out there. That sort of training is the other thing that will help your maintain your muscle so you get to your goal looking not just skinny, but fit.
  • justalittleTLC
    justalittleTLC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally know the feeling! Put your mind to it and you can do it! Please feel free to add me. I will be more than happy to be part of your support system! It's going to be hard at first but I promise... within time it will get easier.
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    like others have said, drinking lots of water during the day helps A LOT. i drink tea constantly throughout the day at work and manage to get 8-10 cups in just from 9-5. you might also need to up your calorie intake a bit. when i first started, MFP had me at almost 1200 and i felt terrible- hungry, tired, etc. i figured out my BMR and TDEE and felt comfortable raising my intake to 1500 every day based on those numbers. i'm still losing weight and i feel MUCH better than i did trying to eat 1200. i can work out just for fun and for the sake of having a bigger deficit at the end of the day. when i was only allowing myself to net 1200, i only went to the gym so i could be allowed to eat more than that and that made it feel like a huge chore.